Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-28-2010, 10:26 AM   #1
Unolord
Unolord began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, iPod Touch
Copy/Paste Network Password?

Hey,

I should be getting my K3 around Sept 10th and I wanted to know if it had copy/paste. I have a Steve Gibson approved 64 character password for my home network. Does the K3 have copy/paste abilities? I can't imagine typing 64 characters without dedicated number keys.
Unolord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:46 AM   #2
Slava
Addict
Slava doesn't litterSlava doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 · iPad · K3
You only have to type it once ... unless you're going to change it
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2010, 10:53 AM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unolord View Post
Hey,

I should be getting my K3 around Sept 10th and I wanted to know if it had copy/paste. I have a Steve Gibson approved 64 character password for my home network. Does the K3 have copy/paste abilities? I can't imagine typing 64 characters without dedicated number keys.
It can be done, and I did it in one try. They display the last character you typed in so you can always verify you didn't fat finger it. So you'll see "********a" for example.

There are dedicated number keys (ALT plus top row of letters), they just aren't labelled. ALT+QWERTYUIOP => 1234567890. Or you can use SYM table. You'll get the hang of it.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 02:13 PM   #4
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unolord
I have a Steve Gibson approved 64 character password for my home network.
A complete waste of time. Why cripple your own access to your home network when the chance that someone is actually going to try and wardrive your network is slim to none.

A pass phrase with a mix of upper and lower case, numbers and maybe a symbol or two is far easier to remember and type and no more likely to be cracked.
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 04:01 PM   #5
Viseguy
Just a kid from Bklyn
Viseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi; Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomF View Post
A pass phrase with a mix of upper and lower case, numbers and maybe a symbol or two is far easier to remember and type and no more likely to be cracked.
I almost never have to remember my home network pw. Just set it once for each device, then they connect automatically.

A 64-char pw would be a hassle, though, if you couldn't copy and paste it in.
Viseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2010, 04:02 PM   #6
Unolord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomF View Post
A complete waste of time. Why cripple your own access to your home network when the chance that someone is actually going to try and wardrive your network is slim to none.

Hmmm. 3 laptops, 1 desktop and my iPod Touch are all connected to my network and took seconds to do. Pretty amazing since I crippled it with a really long password....https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smilies/rolleyes.gif
Old 08-28-2010, 05:05 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Hmmm. 3 laptops, 1 desktop and my iPod Touch are all connected to my network and took seconds to do. Pretty amazing since I crippled it with a really long password....https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smilies/rolleyes.gif
You cannot copy and paste with the K3, but you can with 3 laptops, 1 desktop and my iPod Touch. Therein lies the difference.

I read a study the other day that said a 12 character PW was about the optimum length. An 8 character one can be cracked with the correct tools in a fairly short time, but statistically a 12 character PW would require a battery of computers working in tandem for years to break. A 64 character PW, though virtually impossible to crack, is over kill. And I bet you have it in a file someplace so you can copy and paste. If you do then it could be 6400 characters long and it will get cracked.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:35 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
A 64 character password does seem a bit excessive, but I'm a bit biased since my network is wide open.

If I secured my wireless network, what would the mail-man and the cable-guy do for internet access on their lunch-breaks??
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 06:45 PM   #9
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
Quote:
And when a friend comes over (you do have friends don't you?) and wants to connect his laptop to your wi-fi network, what do you do, e-mail him the password so he can cut and paste it? Oh wait, he's not connected so he can't get the e-mail. I guess you'll have to e-mail it to him in advance. But wait, that would be clear text! Or you could get out the USB drive, plug it into your computer, open a text file, copy the password to that, unplug it, plug it into his laptop, wait for the driver to get installed, open it up, copy and paste it from the text file. Just so he can check his Facebook page? Gee, this is fun!
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 06:46 PM   #10
Unolord

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
You cannot copy and paste with the K3, but you can with 3 laptops, 1 desktop and my iPod Touch. Therein lies the difference.

I read a study the other day that said a 12 character PW was about the optimum length. An 8 character one can be cracked with the correct tools in a fairly short time, but statistically a 12 character PW would require a battery of computers working in tandem for years to break. A 64 character PW, though virtually impossible to crack, is over kill. And I bet you have it in a file someplace so you can copy and paste. If you do then it could be 6400 characters long and it will get cracked.
I keep it on an unsecured 8" floppy buried at the bottom of my cat's litter box.

Def overkill and there are plenty of open networks in my area but I'll work around it. Thanks for the replies.