Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-16-2009, 09:31 PM   #1
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Stephen Levy Interviews Jeff Bezos at Wired "Disruptive By Design" Coference (video)

http://link.brightcove.com/services/...id=26441647001

Some interesting tidbits, Jeff Bezos admits that they don't make money on bestsellers, but they can sustain the $9.99 price tag on them. "Customers know they shouldn't pay the same for an ebook that they pay for a paper book." He also says the Kindle is agressively priced and can't be much cheaper. He said they also considered subsidizing the Kindle like with cell phones where they require you pay a monthly subscription fee, but they felt it was better for people to pay the simple full up front cost. But hs is willing to consider offering a subscription-based subsidy where the initial cost is cheaper if that's what customers want.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:42 PM   #2
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

"... Would you be just as eager to license it to another ebook manufacturer, who said, I have a tablet, I have another ebook [reader], that I want to go into competition with you, give me access to the Amazon store, would that be okay?"

"I don't see any reason why we wouldn't do that." However, he says he would require that WhisperSync works, so it looks like they would have to have wireless.
Advert
Old 06-16-2009, 10:36 PM   #3
sirbruce
Provocateur

Question from the audience:

"I was wondering what your philosophy is regardining openness of that platform. We've seen with the iPhone what openness, or at least a degress of openness, can do. An example is, I guess, there's an appllication called Savory, that a lot of usKindle owners have tried to download, it helps us to read PDFs, epub, things of that nature. But what we hear is that Amazon traditionally pushes against independent developers trying to develop applications, that are trying to make the Kindle more useful for its user. So, where do you guys stand on that."

"Well, we have, you know, we're try--we actually are putting more and more native formats on the device. Kindle DX is the first device to have the native PDF format, and I would like to see more native formats on the device over time as well. So, again, the way we're looking at this business, the, as, we want, the, is really two businesses. We have the Kindle bookstore, and we want the Kindle books to be readable on every hardware device. And we want this [the Kindle] to be the best reading device. And I don't think the Kindle format is going to be the only format people want to read. So we have to make PDFs available on this. We have a very good, you know, Word Docs, and so on actually work very well on this We convert them to Kindle format, in large part so we can do some of the special stuff that we do with the Kindle format, like WhisperSync and font size changes and things like that. But [...] it would make sense, I think, to have that device also be able to read other formats natively."

He goes on to say that the lack of folder support, changelogs, feedback on the message boards, etc. are simply incompetence on their part, not intentional.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:46 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Thanks for the link.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:08 AM   #5
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Question from the audience:

He goes on to say that the lack of folder support, changelogs, feedback on the message boards, etc. are simply incompetence on their part, not intentional.
I don't know whether to laugh or cry over this line?

The folder issue has been an issue since day 1 of K1. Ignoring the message boards ditto. etc.

Last edited by poohbear_nc; 06-17-2009 at 08:11 AM.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2009, 09:19 AM   #6
sirbruce
Provocateur

He said "Never attribute to conspiracy what you can attribute to incompetence" and basically said that their lack of response on these issues wasn't intentional. He also implied that the web services group was who primarily interacted with customers, which suggests they may not have anyone from the Kindle team actively involved with the feedback.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:36 AM   #7
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
He said "Never attribute to conspiracy what you can attribute to incompetence" and basically said that their lack of response on these issues wasn't intentional. He also implied that the web services group was who primarily interacted with customers, which suggests they may not have anyone from the Kindle team actively involved with the feedback.
Again - laugh or cry? - there is incompetence, and then there is INCOMPETENCE - or just not caring enough to notice.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:05 AM   #8
sirbruce
Provocateur

I can give them some slack since they'd been busy with 4 harware platforms in 2 years... but not that much.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:20 AM   #9
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
I can give them some slack since they'd been busy with 4 harware platforms in 2 years... but not that much.
Enough slack to make a noose??
Old 06-17-2009, 02:49 PM   #10
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
I wish Bezos would address the persistent quality problems. Still no new version of LotR, is there.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:52 PM   #11
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
I wish Bezos would address the persistent quality problems. Still no new version of LotR, is there.
I wish he would directly address any issue - with definite facts, dates, etc. Instead of the continuing avoidance of any customer concerns.

sums up the customer experience - is anyone listening?
Old 06-18-2009, 12:49 AM   #12
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
I want to know how Amazon can justify the position of Mobipocket exclusivity when at the same time he claims to want to add more formats to the Kindle and also get Kindle format on more devices. Is Amazon going to insist on exclusivity, even over Mobipocket?

color me very confused by all of it.

And yes, I do realize that Mobipocket is a separate company from Amazon, in theory anyway. That is part of what really is making my temples throb.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote