Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 06-13-2012, 04:00 AM   #1
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
First contact flash fiction from 1979

Wa-aaa-ay back in the 1970s I was picking up dead deer for the state of NJ, drinking beer at a local bar, and dreaming of being a writer. An actual, published (and paid!) writer.

It took a while, but after many rejection slips I finally got a couple stories published. Now, I'm putting them up as ebooks -- and trying my hand at writing some new ones.

My first published story is now available at Smashwords. I'm lousy at names, so don't let that stop you from downloading The Star Creature.

It's approx. 750 words (today it would be called Flash Fiction) and was first published in the Winter, 1979, issue of Unearth Magazine. It's a first contact science fiction story, told from a different viewpoint. It's a free download, or read online. I hope you enjoy it.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:00 AM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Good for you! Not that many people have picked up dead deer on the highway, there's a story in that.

Good Luck!

And Thank you! Just downloaded!

Good story! Thanks for sharing!

Last edited by kennyc; 06-13-2012 at 08:05 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:45 PM   #3
cromag
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Kenny. Picking up dead deer figured prominently in the other story I had published back then. It should be up soon.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:22 AM   #4
cromag

The Star Creature is now up to two 5-Star reviews at Smashwords, and a 4-Star review at Barnes & Noble.

It's free, as always!

(My Mom is so proud! )
Old 12-08-2012, 07:16 AM   #5
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the reminder man. I remember reading this (just read it again) well done!
Old 12-08-2012, 04:21 PM   #6
cromag

Thanks!
Old 12-26-2012, 09:58 PM   #7
cromag

The Star Creature just got its third 5-Star review at Smashwords! (Yeah, I'm just a little excited! )
Old 12-26-2012, 10:30 PM   #8
kennyc

Cool!
Old 12-27-2012, 11:43 AM   #9
Stephen_Melling
Stephen_Melling
Stephen_Melling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen_Melling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen_Melling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen_Melling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen_Melling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen_Melling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen_Melling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen_Melling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen_Melling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen_Melling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen_Melling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Nice piece of Flash Fiction. All the best with your writing!
Stephen_Melling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:42 PM   #10
cromag

Thanks!
Old 02-27-2013, 04:45 PM   #11
cromag

The Star Creature has gotten three 5 star reviews at Smashwords, a 4 star review at Barnes & Noble, and a 5 star review at Goodreads so far. I've finally gotten it up at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Star-Creat...+star+creature

IMPORTANT! The Star Creature is free at Smashwords, including the .mobi format for Kindles, but I wasn't able to find a way to list it for free at Amazon -- the lowest price I could use was $0.99. I would really like this story to remain free, and I'm not interested in profiteering on Kindle users who only buy through Amazon, so if anyone knows an easy way to price stories for free at Amazon, please let me know. Otherwise, I've already used the "Report a lower price" link on their page to report it being free at Barnes & Noble, and I'd invite others to do the same.

And then please consider downloading the story!

Thanks!
Old 07-20-2013, 03:05 AM   #12
cromag

The Star Creature now has five reviews at Smashwords -- all 5-star reviews.

The really nice thing about putting a story up on the internet is world-wide availability. When it was first published, in 1979, it was in Unearth magazine -- I'm not even sure it was well distributed in the US. Now, two of the reviews on Smashwords are from the UK and two are from Canada. It's an ego-boost.

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/171483
Old 07-20-2013, 04:53 AM   #13
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Congrats Cromag. I think that's one of the great things about the ebook revolution. It allows texts to be distributed anywhere there is a computer terminal or ebook device. I remember hearing about the old fanzines that were printed up for conventions of Sci Fi and such. Many lasted just a few issues (if that) then vanished. I can't help but think they would have lasted longer if the ebook tech. had been around.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:52 AM   #14
cromag

Thanks, crich70!

When I got started the primary fanzine medium was mimeograph. And there was still a significant "start-up" cost, in spite of the poor quality of the print outs.

Things really have changed a lot.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:08 PM   #15
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Thanks, crich70!

When I got started the primary fanzine medium was mimeograph. And there was still a significant "start-up" cost, in spite of the poor quality of the print outs.

Things really have changed a lot.
Sounds like it must have been tough to even break even back then.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote