Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-21-2011, 07:18 PM   #1
antario
antario began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Kindle MPlayer Control over SSH (WiFi)

Hey!

I've created a tiny little application in python, with it you can control mplayer on your Kindle wirelessly from your computer over an SSH connection. I've included a readme file with instructions to get everything working. You'll need Jailbrake, usbNetwork and MPlayer (Launchpad is optional, but recommended).
I've tested it on Ubuntu 11.04. If you use Ubuntu, you don't need any special dependencies, everything is there (Python and GTK3), just extract the application somewhere, execute controller.py and it should work (you can also invoke a python control.py command over it from a terminal).

Here is a screenshot of the application:

Hope you find it useful

Cheers,
Antario.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Kindle MPlayer Control.zip (8.6 KB, 323 views)
antario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:37 AM   #2
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Do you use it only for playing audio, or do you show video with it as well?
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2011, 02:56 AM   #3
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Thanks for the sharing
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:00 AM   #4
antario

@rkomar:
Since it just controls the MPlayer installed on the Kindle and the Kindle can't play video due to it's e-Ink screen, it can only play music.

@thomass:
You're welcome
Old 09-22-2011, 12:13 PM   #5
mtsp
Enthusiast
mtsp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G
This is really cool, thank you
mtsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2011, 02:23 PM   #6
antario

I'm gald you like it I'm still trying to improve it. I have to figure out to effectively read the SSH output of the Kindle, 'cause the read method hangs up when no output is coming, thus freezing the GUI. Anyway, I think track information and progress bar are still possibilities. I'm working on them