Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-23-2011, 04:54 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
New Kindle and PID

I've just bought a new Kindle. When I bought DRM'd ebooks to read on my Bookeen Cybook I had to enter a PID to get past the DRM.

Do Kindle's have PIDs? How do I read a DRM'd ebook on a Kindle? I have an account with Amazon.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:31 AM   #2
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
I think you'll have to register your Kindle to your account. I see in another thread you don't have wifi, so you will need to log into your Amazon account from your PC, goto "Manage your Kindle" and hit Register. You'll need the serial code of your Kindle.

From there you should be able to buy Amazon ebooks, download them from your account and copy to your Kindle via USB.

Unfortunately I can't help about the Kindle PID.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:23 AM   #3
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Solicitous is completely correct. You just have to register your Kindle to your Amazon account. To do that, you need to know your Kindle's serial number (not the same as its PID). The serial number is printed on the back of the device.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:51 AM   #4
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Alex, if you mean reading DRMed Kindle books from Amazon, then the posts above are correct, certainly, but I'd think that would be pretty obvious (and the Kindle itself pretty much walks you through that depending on the condition it was in when you got it).
Were you perhaps asking about reading DRMed mobis from sources OTHER than Amazon?

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:00 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The device PID for Kindles that have software versions greater than or equal to 2.5 would only be needed in some very, very specific circumstances. As others have said, it's not necessary at all for Amazon purchases... and you probably still don't have to worry about it even if you start "branching out" and using other ebook sellers.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:36 AM   #6
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Alex, if you mean reading DRMed Kindle books from Amazon, then the posts above are correct, certainly, but I'd think that would be pretty obvious (and the Kindle itself pretty much walks you through that depending on the condition it was in when you got it).
Were you perhaps asking about reading DRMed mobis from sources OTHER than Amazon?

ApK
Yes, I bought several books from Fictionwise, and want to download them again for use on the Kindle - especially the updated LOTR. I should have been more clear in my own mind before posting, and then the post would made more sense.

Regards, Alex
Old 05-24-2011, 04:39 AM   #7
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Solicitous is completely correct. You just have to register your Kindle to your Amazon account. To do that, you need to know your Kindle's serial number (not the same as its PID). The serial number is printed on the back of the device.
Thanks, Solicitous and Mike. I bought the Kindle through my Amazon account, and according to the manual this should have registered it automatically. But it didn't, so I'll follow your advice.

Regards, Alex
Old 05-24-2011, 06:15 AM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, I bought several books from Fictionwise, and want to download them again for use on the Kindle - especially the updated LOTR. I should have been more clear in my own mind before posting, and then the post would made more sense.
If it and your other purchases from Fictionwise are DRM'ed, your only real choice is to remove the DRM before loading it onto your Kindle. The only DRM the Kindle will recognize/use/allow is Amazon's own.

We used to be able to give Fictionwise our Kindle's device PID to download an encrypted mobi, but even then, you still had to "tweak" the DRM to get it to actually work on the Kindle. I don't think that even works anymore--but I could be wrong.

The most recent copies of the kindlepid script that are floating around will generate a device PID for the Kindle 3, but that PID just won't do you any good any more (except in rare circumstances).
Old 05-24-2011, 09:23 AM   #9
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

DD can correct me if I'm wrong, but you could still use the device PID if you wanted to CONTINUE buying DRMed mobis or borrowing library mobis.
You would add the PID to your account on the book site, and also configure the appropriate deDRMing tool with the same PID. I guess ANY PID would work in that scenario, even a made up one or the one from your previous device, but using your real one lends credibility....
Old 05-24-2011, 11:34 AM   #10
calvin
DRM remover
calvin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, 4 & Touch, iPhone/iPad, Hanvon N516 (OpenInkpot)
You can get your Kindle PID at this Website:

http://kindletools.prestonlee.com/

I have tried it with the National Library Singapore, (http://singapore.lib.overdrive.com) entered the above generated Kindle PID and the book downloaded was readable on the kindle as protected content!
calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:41 AM   #11
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin View Post

I have tried it with the National Library Singapore, (http://singapore.lib.overdrive.com) entered the above generated Kindle PID and the book downloaded was readable on the kindle as protected content!
Did you put the downloaded file into Calibre (or do anything else with it) first, or did you download it to your PC and put it DIRECTLY on your Kindle?

I could have sworn doing directly had worked for me in the recent past, even after the breaking change from Amazon a few months ago, but in subsequent tests I could not get it to worked unless I put it through Calibre (with some third party plugins) first.

If you did it directly, please tell me what title it was so I can try it too.

ApK
Old 05-24-2011, 11:53 AM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
DD can correct me if I'm wrong, but you could still use the device PID if you wanted to CONTINUE buying DRMed mobis or borrowing library mobis.
This is correct.

But I don't think the PID ever worked (right out of the box, anyway) with Fictionwise's DRM scheme... hence why the kindlefix python script originally became necessary to "fix" the DRM, so the protected content could be read on the Kindle.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:29 PM   #13
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
A long time ago, you could use the Kindle PID with Fictionwise Secure Mobi, but they changed DRM servers long ago, and you can't even enter some of the characters that are required for a Kindle PID any more.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:22 AM   #14
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin View Post

Thanks, Calvin, but the site says it only works for Kindle2, and I have a Kindle3. I tried anyway, but didn't get a legible response.

Regards, Alex
Old 05-25-2011, 07:23 AM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

If you have python installed, the latest Tools Archive from Apprentice Alf contains the kindlepid script that will generate a PID from a K3's serial number.

I'd post a link to where someone could download the latest kindlepid script, but I'd probably get spanked--even though the script has perfectly legal uses that have nothing to do with DRM removal.

But the PID is still not going to help you with reading the DRM'ed Fictionwise version of LOTR on your Kindle.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 05-25-2011 at 07:27 AM.