Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-28-2020, 10:10 PM   #1
pafao
pafao began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
"something went wrong" when trying to set up the device

I've got an old Aura HD but it won't set up. It lets me choose the language, connect to wifi, then it checks for an update and then it stops and gives me an error message "something went wrong" and it returns me to the "choose a wifi network" screen.

When I try to set it up with my computer, it connects, then begins to update then I get a "write error" message.

Anyone have any advice on what to do next?
pafao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 11:00 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
When I saw this, I assumed it was going to be an issue with the firmware version and connecting to the Kobo server. But, the second error suggests that it might be a problem with the SD card. You just got the firmware image from me. Did you use the same card or a new one? The original cards are old enough to be failing, and that might have been the cause of the original problem.

But, you can also try a factory reset. While the images I have should work as is, there have been reports of unusual problems after using them. A factory reset seems to fix them.

Note, you will probably have a problem doing a setup over WiFi. Early last year, Kobo had to remove support for the older security protocols that the older firmware uses. This means they cannot connect to Kobo's servers. You can use the Kobo desktop to do the setup. This will install the latest firmware. Or you can manually install firmware that does have the support. I recommend at least version 3.19
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2020, 06:12 PM   #3
Cedros
Enthusiast
Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara; Kobo H20v2; Kobo Glo HD;
I just got a message saying service was out of order at Kobo.com. This is at 3:00 p.m. PDT, August 29 2020. Thought I'd mention it, since it might explain why you can't complete setting up your Kobo Reader.
Cedros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 06:43 PM   #4
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Libra Color, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedros View Post
I just got a message saying service was out of order at Kobo.com. This is at 3:00 p.m. PDT, August 29 2020. Thought I'd mention it, since it might explain why you can't complete setting up your Kobo Reader.
And still is.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 07:18 PM   #5
Gadgetguy
Connoisseur
Gadgetguy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
I ended up hacking my device so I can use it. Hack was easy.

When kobo is back in business I will properly activate but I was too impatient to wait without trying out my newest toy
Gadgetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2020, 11:37 PM   #6
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (mark 7), Kobo Mini
Back in service .
Elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 01:26 PM   #7
pafao

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
When I saw this, I assumed it was going to be an issue with the firmware version and connecting to the Kobo server. But, the second error suggests that it might be a problem with the SD card. You just got the firmware image from me. Did you use the same card or a new one? The original cards are old enough to be failing, and that might have been the cause of the original problem.

But, you can also try a factory reset. While the images I have should work as is, there have been reports of unusual problems after using them. A factory reset seems to fix them.

Note, you will probably have a problem doing a setup over WiFi. Early last year, Kobo had to remove support for the older security protocols that the older firmware uses. This means they cannot connect to Kobo's servers. You can use the Kobo desktop to do the setup. This will install the latest firmware. Or you can manually install firmware that does have the support. I recommend at least version 3.19
I used the image you gave me on the original SD card and it initially booted up fine, logged into someone's account. When I signed out of that account to sync my own account, it brought me back to the initial setup and the same issue happened. I tried this as well with a new sd card and had the same error.

When I try to connect to my computer to do the setup, it downloads an update and then it fails giving a "write error" message.

I've already tried the pinhole reset - is that different than a factory reset?
Old 08-30-2020, 02:22 PM   #8
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Pinhole is a "soft" reset. Factory reset will wipe everything. I had to do the Factory Reset on my Glo HD in order to get the new firmware on it, nothing else would work. I deleted Kobo Desktop, re-installed it and then used it to get the firmware onto my Glo (had to use a cable & computer, not wifi)
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 09:07 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pafao View Post
I used the image you gave me on the original SD card and it initially booted up fine, logged into someone's account. When I signed out of that account to sync my own account, it brought me back to the initial setup and the same issue happened. I tried this as well with a new sd card and had the same error.

When I try to connect to my computer to do the setup, it downloads an update and then it fails giving a "write error" message.

I've already tried the pinhole reset - is that different than a factory reset?
As @Cdesja5 is not a factory reset. It just sends an interrupt of some sort and restarts the device.

It is actually giving a writer error message? Or is it the one before? That one is vague enough it could be just about anything.

Try the factory reset. For an Aura HD, this is:

Charge the device for an hour.
Power the device off by holding the power button down for at least 20 seconds.
Hold the light button down and turn the device on.
Release the light button when the screen starts to update.

That should trigger the factory reset.

It finishes the reset, either use the Kobo desktop to do the setup, or manually put new the firmware on the device before trying to do the setup. This is to avoid any issues with the WiFi and the older firmware that is on the device.
Old 08-30-2020, 09:35 PM   #10
pafao

I am an idiot... �� I had been trying to do the computer setup from my work laptop which has a security setting that prevents you from writing data to USB storage media. Tried it from my home computer and worked no problem.
Old 08-30-2020, 11:04 PM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pafao View Post
I am an idiot... �� I had been trying to do the computer setup from my work laptop which has a security setting that prevents you from writing data to USB storage media. Tried it from my home computer and worked no problem.
Been there, done that. Until recently, our work machines would offer to reformat any drives with BitLocker on them. I know a few people that were having a bad day that suddenly got worse. Now, they are even worse than yours and the USB ports do not even recognise USB storage. Of course, it took a couple of tries before I remembered this.
Old 08-31-2020, 03:55 PM   #12
Nascarfan1972
Banned
Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Glo/Mini/Aura/Glo HD/Clara/Libra & Forma & Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Davidfor,

Is it the original AuraHD from 2012-13 that you are referring to, with the plastic/glass screen, because I thought that it was impossible to replace the sd card on one of them. If I am incorrect could you please point me in the right direction, as I would dearly love to increase the capacity on the internal SD card, due to it filling up even when I have an external card in the slot as well, and not allowing me to sync all my books onto it.

Thanks
Rugbyfan1972
Nascarfan1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 08:17 PM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascarfan1972 View Post
Is it the original AuraHD from 2012-13 that you are referring to, with the plastic/glass screen, because I thought that it was impossible to replace the sd card on one of them. If I am incorrect could you please point me in the right direction, as I would dearly love to increase the capacity on the internal SD card, due to it filling up even when I have an external card in the slot as well, and not allowing me to sync all my books onto it.
The Aura HD definitely has an internal SD card. In fact, one of the members here decided to put a door in the back of his Aura HD so that he could swap it out easily.

I have sent you a PM with the link to the image for it. But, you can take an image yourself so that you get your serial number. If you need instructions, I usually point to Memory Upgrade Mod Guide. They are for the Glo, but the basic steps and tools are the same.