Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-19-2013, 12:50 AM   #1
LMF
LMF can teach chickens to fly.LMF can teach chickens to fly.LMF can teach chickens to fly.LMF can teach chickens to fly.LMF can teach chickens to fly.LMF can teach chickens to fly.LMF can teach chickens to fly.LMF can teach chickens to fly.LMF can teach chickens to fly.LMF can teach chickens to fly.LMF can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iPad, Kindle
Virtual kepub Books?

Hi All,
Just bought my first e-reader a kobo glo and have followed the "sticky's" on here to get calibre and the glo playing nicely together - so a big thank you for making it easy to follow.

The only question I have so far is that when i plug the glo in and then on calibre (latest mac version) I go to "show books on device" there appears to be 5 books already loaded. When I look on the glo however it says there are no books loaded. They appear (I can only see them from calibre) to be kepubs and if I try to copy them to my library is says they are only virtual books.

Is there anyway to get rid of the books if they really do exist, or get rid of the reference to them in calibre's device view if they don't?

Thanks in advance for any ideas!
LMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:52 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Try the option on the Glo to see the previews. (I think it's Library | Previews).
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2013, 01:08 AM   #3
LMF
LMF can teach chickens to fly.LMF can teach chickens to fly.LMF can teach chickens to fly.LMF can teach chickens to fly.LMF can teach chickens to fly.LMF can teach chickens to fly.LMF can teach chickens to fly.LMF can teach chickens to fly.LMF can teach chickens to fly.LMF can teach chickens to fly.LMF can teach chickens to fly.

Hi PeterT,
When I go to the preview screen there isn't any books shown, just a few details about previews in general and a link to the bookstore.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:57 AM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
In calibre, what options do you have set for the Kobo driver? Easiest way to see is with the kobo attached, click the arrow besides the Device icon and select configure this device.

With me, if I have "Show Recommendations" selected I see one extra book, which is in collection Recommendations, and when I try to copy it I get a virtual book message.

So try disabling Recommendations in the driver.

And LOL.. If I also enable Previews I see a HECK of a lot more virtual books
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:08 AM   #5
LMF

Good news and bad news Peter: I managed to delete the "books" using calibre (they were never visible on the glo) but I can't be sure of exactly what it is I did that worked - so not much help for anyone else who experiences similar. I'll try and explain as best I can what I did though - in case something jumps out at you or someone else.

First some basic stuff: I tried a factory reset; I tried deleting the files through file explorer; I downloaded kobo's pc software and sync'd etc but it couldn't show me these hidden books either; and I tried deleting through calibre on both a mac and pc. Nothing worked at the start though eventually the calibre pc option did.

On the device driver I never had show previews ticked at any time. The rest is where it gets a bit iffy and I imagine the answer lies. On the mac, I didn't have show recommendations ticked when I first connected the glo, I think I did have show expired books ticked but can't be 100% sure. I did try with it ticked and not ticked and disconnecting and reconnecting the glow after changing the setting. None of that worked.

When I plugged it into the windows pc I inadvertently had show recommendations on. Turning it off however didn't get rid of any books. I also ticked and unticked show expired books. Normally I was making all these changes with the glo unplugged and then plugging it back in. The last time is the only time I was conscious of making a settings change and having calibre restart while the glow was plugged in, in this case I unticked "show expired books." After that (not necessarily because of that lol) I was able to remove the books using calibre.

There is of course the possibility the remove books option showed up earlier and I didn't pay enough attention by just seeing what I thought I was going to see after playing around with it all until I was sick of it but I'm pretty sure that wasn't the case.

Anyway, it's all good now.
So thanks for your help
Advert
Old 01-19-2013, 05:19 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
What were the titles of the extra books? I don't know if I have ever connected my Glo to calibre when it had no books on it. But, I think there were some extra books from Kobo when I first bought it. These were a welcome guide and something called "Kobo Read on". There are copies of them in different languages. From memory, the device only shows one version in its library, but calibre shows all of them.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:56 AM   #7
LMF

I don't remember all the books. Great Expectations (in English) was on there and so was Don Quixote (in Spanish - I think). I still have a copy of the files from when I tried to delete them using file explorer. They have no extension on them and the filenames are just a bunch of numbers but I had a bit of as look at them in notepad2 (not that I know enough to know what I'm looking at). I did see some gutenberg links in some of them.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:01 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sounds like some free classics. They would have been in the ".kobo/kepub" directory. If you rename them to have the extension "epub", they will probably open with the calibre viewer.

I can't think of why they would appear in the calibre device list but not on the device. The calibre device list is read from the database on the Kobo device. I should be able to tell what is happening by looking at the database on the device. But, as you have managed to delete the books, it is probably to late. I would still like to look at it if you are willing to send me the database.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:35 AM   #9
LMF

Yeah the books were in ".kobo/kepub" directory and I too couldn't really understand why they weren't showing up on the kobo either. I have since copied a bunch of ebooks across (no kepubs though) and all is working well.

I'm happy to send you any files - just point me in the direction. I still have a copy of the .kobo folder from before I deleted the books if that helps. I had copied it before I dared delete anything from inside the folders.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:35 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

That's handy. I have sent you a PM with my email address.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:08 AM   #11
lgxkls
lgxkls can extract oil from cheeselgxkls can extract oil from cheeselgxkls can extract oil from cheeselgxkls can extract oil from cheeselgxkls can extract oil from cheeselgxkls can extract oil from cheeselgxkls can extract oil from cheeselgxkls can extract oil from cheeselgxkls can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Glo
I was also trying to arrange books between the device and storage card today and noticed about 5 strange books.
I had Don Quixote in Spanish, Les Fleur du Mal, French, Eline Vere, French, and a book in German that I managed to delete.
I tried to move them from the device to my PC and an error stated that they were virtual books and could not be moved.
They were all loaded onto the device on 2 May 2012 - well before I got my Glo.
It wasn't really a [rob;em but was just intriguing.
Regards
Karon
lgxkls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:23 PM   #12
phatchantz
"still alive and well"
phatchantz began at the beginning.

Device: kobo 2 touch / 1 glo
I noticed this as well - I think that the books will appear according to the language that you choose in the setup procedure - choose English = English books ......... just a thought..
phatchantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:34 PM   #13
LMF

Yes these seem like the same books I had too. Great Expectations was the only one I had in English (I think) but even when I had chosen English as the language I couldn't see that book (or any of those 5) on the kobo. I sent the database file off to Davidfor to have a look at, so maybe he'll see something that explains it. I agree it's not really a problem (and certainly not after I was able to delete them), but it is a bit odd
Old 01-22-2013, 11:37 PM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

I have had a look at the database and compared it to my Glo and Touch plus backups of their databases. I think I know what.

Each book on the device has details in the database. This is a table called "content". One piece of information is a userid who "owns" each book.

There is another table called "user". This has details of the Kobo users for the device. In all the device databases I have seen, there is two users: the actual user logged in and another called "trilogybundle@kobo.com".

As to the owner, there are some special userids. All sideloaded epubs and PDFs are owned by "adobe_user" and CBZ by "cbz_user". All the kepubs that you buy and download are owned by your Kobo user. And the five books in question are owned by the "trilogybundle@kobo.com" user.

I think the last bit explains why the books don't appear in the library list. The library must be only showing books owned by you or the special userids. It isn't showing books from the last user above.

I suppose there is a bug somewhere. Whether it is that the books aren't shown in the library or are still in the database or have the wrong owner, I don't know.

And I suppose there is a bug in the driver. As the device doesn't show these books, maybe the driver shouldn't. But, I don't think it harms to have them there, so unless I get a lot of complaint, I won't change it.

@LMF: Thanks for sending the files. It is very useful to me to be able to poke around these database to see what is going on.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:12 AM   #15
LMF

Thanks for letting us know David