Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-08-2011, 10:17 AM   #1
msxman
Enthusiast
msxman began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox, kindle 2
Requests for future software/firmware

These are things I'd like to see changed for current Vox or future generations. Maybe others have ideas too.

- being able to stop auto-rotate in the kobo reader
- website- a wish list, recommendations, forums to read about what's going on, better book searching i.e. easier to fin books and reader reviews and sorting by publication date to add books not yet out to the wish list to quickly buy them when they come out
- Pulse allowing kobo touch users to join or even being licensed out to other brands to encourage more people to join in (you could add a link to the kobo app and store to get people buying kobo)
- longer a/c adapter cord
- the plug to be moved from the bottom of the unit
- a way to sort the kobo reader by author, newest books, series etc. and a way to make collections (I buy a lot of books and would like to sort them!)
- a way to change the first thing that shows when turned on

Maybe the Vox devs will read these and be able to grant some of these wishes one day! *cough* James *cough*
msxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:55 AM   #2
LauraPony
Zealot
LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by msxman View Post
- a way to sort the kobo reader by author, newest books, series etc. and a way to make collections (I buy a lot of books and would like to sort them!)
You can sort by author I'm pretty sure. When in your library just change the settings. I don't have my Vox open so I'm not sure what the actual setting is called, but it is pretty easy to figure out.
LauraPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2011, 11:00 AM   #3
MegaSilver
MegaSilver began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
On the wish list topic, here I go:

- Change power button to a slide switch. I have placed my Vox down against something a few times and have it enter sleep.
- Dictionary support from within books (I know this is in the BETA). Also, select pressed word by default
- +1 on the longer power cable.

I actually like the plug on the bottom of the unit. But maybe that is just because the cable is short and my wall outlets are a foot off the ground.
MegaSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:41 AM   #4
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msxman View Post
- the plug to be moved from the bottom of the unit
No! I want a dock! The thing is clearly designed to be put into a dock! :-) (power plug and headphones plug nicely aligned) Or a bar-like extension battery with stereo speakers which you can charge from the side.
If they don't do it soon, I'll send the dimensions to China and buy it on ebay! :-)

They should change the plug of the charger to make a 90 degrees angle - which should go away to the side instead of going down.

Last edited by hieronymos; 12-08-2011 at 11:56 AM.
hieronymos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:43 PM   #5
Darnielle
Enthusiast
Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hieronymos View Post
a bar-like extension battery with stereo speakers which you can charge from the side
All my money. This is a great idea! You should patent it and then sell it to Kobo (after splitting the profits with me, of course)

Accessories. That's all I need. Whether it's some kind of mini USB bluetooth module, a case or Hieronymos' speaker dock, Kobo need to get some accessories for the Vox instore ASAP. I'm using a Blackberry Playbook case for the Vox right now and I've customised it with holes for the buttons, but it still looks rough since I didn't exactly have the right tools for the job (and I couldn't exactly borrow a hemostatic scalpel from the neighbours). A good looking leather case only seems natural for the Vox! Maybe even a faux mahogany case... I can dream.
Darnielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2011, 01:28 PM   #6
KoboJW
UX Lead, Kobo Vox
KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Boxes of Voxes
Thanks for your suggestions. Most of your requests are in our roadmap, some sooner than others. Obviously, the hardware changes are a little harder to accomodate, unless you're willing to buy another Vox
KoboJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:14 PM   #7
wilbrich
Connoisseur
wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo (original), Sony Tablet, Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by hieronymos View Post
No! I want a dock! The thing is clearly designed to be put into a dock! :-) (power plug and headphones plug nicely aligned) Or a bar-like extension battery with stereo speakers which you can charge from the side.
If they don't do it soon, I'll send the dimensions to China and buy it on ebay! :-)

They should change the plug of the charger to make a 90 degrees angle - which should go away to the side instead of going down.
Yeah, a dock! My Sony Tablet has a cradle (i.e. dock) and it makes it super easy to store, charge, etc. Also doubles as a photo frame and desk clock. But that won't be so easy with the Kobo since its micro SD slot requires it to be in portrait mode. Most photos are landscape.

And I think it's pretty unanimous that we all want a longer charge cable. But to make this an attractive accessory (that people will buy), it should come with a set of micro adapters so that the charger can connect to the Kobo at various different angles (i.e from straight in, from left or right, from the back). I'd like an right-angled connection when using the Kobo in portrait but a straight-in when using in landscape.
wilbrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:47 PM   #8
peterhondak
Zealot
peterhondak is on a distinguished road

Device: KoboMini (mine and MIL) KoboVox(returned), sonytouch(mom's),samsung7"
I would love collections, and to have better ways to sort.
peterhondak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:30 PM   #9
Darnielle
Enthusiast
Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

It's probably not high on your list of priorities (if it is at all) and I know for a fact I'd rarely use it, but a few of my friends are massive comic fans and would snap the Vox up instantly if CBZ/CBR support was native. Being a mechanical engineering student, PDFs are more my thing, so native PDF support would be great. The colour screen shouldn't be unique to enhanced books.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:01 PM   #10
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I asked a mod to sticky this. Not sure if it will happen.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:19 PM   #11
Graycee
Enthusiast
Graycee has a spectacular aura aboutGraycee has a spectacular aura aboutGraycee has a spectacular aura aboutGraycee has a spectacular aura aboutGraycee has a spectacular aura aboutGraycee has a spectacular aura aboutGraycee has a spectacular aura aboutGraycee has a spectacular aura aboutGraycee has a spectacular aura aboutGraycee has a spectacular aura aboutGraycee has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Aura, Kindle (2014)
I'd like the power button to be a little less sensitive. The slightest touch causes it to turn on. Before I had a case it had turned on by being jostled in my purse.
Somebody mentioned a leather case, the Blackberry playbook leather envelope fits my Vox perfectly and prevents the power button from being hit by accident.
Graycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:37 PM   #12
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darnielle View Post
It's probably not high on your list of priorities (if it is at all) and I know for a fact I'd rarely use it, but a few of my friends are massive comic fans and would snap the Vox up instantly if CBZ/CBR support was native. Being a mechanical engineering student, PDFs are more my thing, so native PDF support would be great. The colour screen shouldn't be unique to enhanced books.
Not sure why the onus needs to be on kobo to make this native when there are plentiful freely available comic readers for android (I like perfect viewer). I would rather kobo spent time fixing things that are broken than working on stuff like this, personally.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:48 PM   #13
Darnielle
Enthusiast

Of course other viewers are available, but they aren't made with the Vox in mind. I think having comic and PDF support would both appeal to a wider audience and give the bookshelves a little more diversty.

Would it be too much trouble to have the grey corner that represents imported books done away with or given a toggle? Considering how much of my library has been imported, it's kind of redundant.

Last edited by Darnielle; 12-08-2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:34 PM   #14
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graycee View Post
I'd like the power button to be a little less sensitive. The slightest touch causes it to turn on.
I agree. Also, I find the touch screen extremely sensitive when I just brush it to scroll. Half the time it will start an app if I'm on the apps screen, or jump to a page if I'm scrolling the chapter menu in the reader. It's so bad that I'm now bookmarking the page I'm on so I can get back to it after going on a bunch of unintended excursions.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:34 PM   #15
msxman
Enthusiast
msxman began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox, kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoboJW View Post
Thanks for your suggestions. Most of your requests are in our roadmap, some sooner than others. Obviously, the hardware changes are a little harder to accomodate, unless you're willing to buy another Vox
Yeah, but it's like the little girl that asks for a pony AND a doll house-she'll probably only get one of her wishes but even the more realistic one will entertain her for hours and make her happy!
msxman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo, vox, wishlist