Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-15-2016, 12:50 PM   #511
inedible
inedible is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.inedible is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.inedible is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.inedible is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.inedible is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.inedible is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.inedible is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.inedible is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.inedible is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.inedible is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.inedible is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle PW
Hi guys, long time no see!

The other day I got bored and decided I'd love to use my kindle as a little tablet again, but I didn't feel like editing the launcher again to hardcode a different host and password... So instead I built a frontend that prompts you!

[Images violate Posting Guidelines for size - MODERATOR]

I couldn't figure out a way to call any sort of native dialog boxes, and it doesn't look like KUAL provides that functionality, so my solution was kind kludgey and convoluted.

I have a script calling kterminal to launch another script that uses zsh's built-in ncurses functionality to draw dialog boxes asking for your hostname and password.

Features I've implemented include full mouse/touchscreen support, functional backspace, enter, and esc keys, working ok and cancel buttons.

This works great on my paperwhite. I assume it won't work properly on other devices, but I have no way to test.

Anyway, I've included everything in the form of a KUAL extension. Just drop the kindlevncviewer folder into your extensions directory and you should be good to go.

Requires kterminal to be installed, also requires zsh to be installed to /usr/bin. On my system it was already there. Might have been included in the jailbreak. It's also included in usbnetworking.

Try it out and let me know if you run into any issues!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	1110
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	145563   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.png
Views:	1042
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	145564   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.png
Views:	1169
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	145565  
Attached Files
File Type: zip kindlevncviewer-pw-kual.zip (293.3 KB, 927 views)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 02-04-2016 at 03:11 PM.
inedible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 01:09 PM   #512
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yup, zsh is shipped w/ USBNet . Because zsh rules. .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2016, 01:49 PM   #513
inedible
inedible is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.inedible is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.inedible is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.inedible is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.inedible is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.inedible is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.inedible is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.inedible is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.inedible is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.inedible is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.inedible is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Yup, sure beats the hell out of busybox anyway.

So anyway, as hackish as this all is, the gethostname.sh script could be useful to others who want a simple dialog box to grab data from the user, but can't figure out how to set up a toolchain to code a native GTK or whatever app.

It's pretty primitive though, requires kterminal and zsh, writes its data to a temp file which is inelegant, and also doesn't handle the user pressing arrow keys, home, end, etc well. So, if anyone wants to improve on this, feel free to use it in whatever.
Old 01-30-2016, 04:08 PM   #514
kamerek
Enthusiast
kamerek began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG fw 3.3 SN B009
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
Hi,

Update 2012 Apr 17: Added dithered mode. This isn't very usable, but it will not flash the screen at all (i.e. not going through black). It only paints white and black pixels to archieve that. The backside is that only high contrast parts are visible. It is more or less a play thing. You can activate this mode by giving the "-dithered" switch on command line. Except for this new play mode, update doesn't bring any new stuff.

When I start kncviewer via putty with this -dithered mode how can I switch off dithered mode? Is simple kindles restart enough?
kamerek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 02:46 PM   #515
collin_schupman
collin_schupman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle4
lipc-set-prop: not found *What's this command?

Hello,

I've been following this tutorial:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/v...p?f=41&t=62139

I got to the point of working with this library, tried running this script:

/mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/kvncviewer.sh 192.168.15.2:0 &

Got this error:

[root@[192_168_15_244] root]# /mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/kvncviewer.sh: line 6: lipc-set-prop: not found
25/09/2015 03:56:06 ConnectToTcpAddr: connect
25/09/2015 03:56:06 Unable to connect to VNC server
/mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/kvncviewer.sh: line 8: lipc-set-prop: not found

What is 'lipc-set-prop'? Anyone know what's going on?
collin_schupman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2016, 03:13 PM   #516
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

inedible:
Please take a few moments to read our Posting Guidelines, in particular the part about the maximum image size allowed (600x600 pixels). Images that violate those guidelines will be deleted.

It is every member's responsibility to read our Posting Guidelines and follow them.

Thanks.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:26 PM   #517
inedible

Quote:
Originally Posted by collin_schupman View Post
Hello,

I've been following this tutorial:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/v...p?f=41&t=62139

I got to the point of working with this library, tried running this script:

/mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/kvncviewer.sh 192.168.15.2:0 &

Got this error:

[root@[192_168_15_244] root]# /mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/kvncviewer.sh: line 6: lipc-set-prop: not found
25/09/2015 03:56:06 ConnectToTcpAddr: connect
25/09/2015 03:56:06 Unable to connect to VNC server
/mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/kvncviewer.sh: line 8: lipc-set-prop: not found

What is 'lipc-set-prop'? Anyone know what's going on?
It looks like it can't connect to that IP. Can you ping it? Can you try telnetting into port 5900? It looks like either you're having networking issues, or the vnc server isn't running on 192.168.15.2, or it's not on display:0 (ie port 5900).
Old 04-24-2016, 07:20 AM   #518
Staphoent
Connoisseur
Staphoent began at the beginning.

Device: PW3, PW2
Help really needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
Hints:

It works with a rotated screen. However, the screen must be rotated when the app starts up, not afterwards.

Personally, I use this with USB networking configured to autostart. That way, I can just plug in the Kindle, press "Shift V U" and get going.

Windows users check out kranu's "eMonitor" thread. The software does a similar things and kranu mentions ways how to set up a virtual second display for Windows. I'm not to sure how to run vnc on one display out of many, though. I recommend to start with cloning your existing desktop. You'll probably want your kindle in landscape mode for that, so do the rotation before starting kindlevncviewer.
I am trying to set up my kindle paperwhite three as a external monitor for my Mac as I suffer from Computervision syndrome with normal screens. I have followed all of the advice on here but have got to the stage where my Mac Will recognise my kindle in USB network mode however not allow me to connect in vnc Mode.

I am using Mac with the latest o.s and Vine vnc software. My kpw3 is jail broken running kual and usbnetwork and vncviewer installed. However when I attempt to connect to vine vnc through my kindles vncviewer software, it asks me for a hostort and password. I use 192.168.1.2 and have tried numerous passwords but i still cannot get the kindle to display the macs information.

All help will be greatly appreciated as I desperately want and need to use this function.
Staphoent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 02:42 PM   #519
fluffatron
fluffatron began at the beginning.

No semicolon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by inedible View Post
Hi guys, long time no see!

The other day I got bored and decided I'd love to use my kindle as a little tablet again, but I didn't feel like editing the launcher again to hardcode a different host and password... So instead I built a frontend that prompts you!

[Images violate Posting Guidelines for size - MODERATOR]

I couldn't figure out a way to call any sort of native dialog boxes, and it doesn't look like KUAL provides that functionality, so my solution was kind kludgey and convoluted.

I have a script calling kterminal to launch another script that uses zsh's built-in ncurses functionality to draw dialog boxes asking for your hostname and password.

Features I've implemented include full mouse/touchscreen support, functional backspace, enter, and esc keys, working ok and cancel buttons.

This works great on my paperwhite. I assume it won't work properly on other devices, but I have no way to test.

Anyway, I've included everything in the form of a KUAL extension. Just drop the kindlevncviewer folder into your extensions directory and you should be good to go.

Requires kterminal to be installed, also requires zsh to be installed to /usr/bin. On my system it was already there. Might have been included in the jailbreak. It's also included in usbnetworking.

Try it out and let me know if you run into any issues!
Hi this is a dumb question but I can't see the semicolon on the keyboard anywhere to be able to enter the port? Maybe that's why the connection is not working for me...
fluffatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 07:20 PM   #520
graylien
graylien began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Great work, I've tried this on my PW3 and it works, apart from the size of the viewer.

Does anyone know how to alter the dimensions of the VNC viewer? It only uses half of my Kindle screen.

THanks!
graylien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 07:54 PM   #521
tarchuletta
tarchuletta began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Has anyone found a way to get this to work with Mac OSX High Sierra 10.13.1? I can't use Vine Server since there's not a compatible version, and I can't figure out how to get newer VNC programs to work with my Kindle DX.
tarchuletta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 04:11 PM   #522
eLDeus
eLDeus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad 1 mini
Kindle 4 vnc see more than 800x600

Hi folks, does anybody knows is it possible to make Kindle 4 VNC viewer to see the whole screen of server's resolution, for instance, 1024x768 with its native K4 800x600, I mean something like cover mode so it could be possible to see the entire server's screen if it can thx!!

Last edited by eLDeus; 09-26-2018 at 04:35 AM.
eLDeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 11:46 AM   #523
eLDeus
eLDeus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad 1 mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by eLDeus View Post
Hi folks, does anybody knows is it possible to make Kindle 4 VNC viewer to see the whole screen of server's resolution, for instance, 1024x768 with its native K4 800x600, I mean something like cover mode so it could be possible to see the entire server's screen if it can thx!!
I'll detail it a bit, I have iPad mini with it's 1024x768 with Jailbreak and VNC server, so it'd be cool if it could be viewed whole from Kindle 4 VNC client, as for now, I see only half of iPad's screen, of course, because of it has a bigger screen. Thanks for the ideas!
eLDeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 04:52 PM   #524
juniorRubyist
juniorRubyist began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2016)
Home screen doesn't go away

When I run the VNC Viewer on my KP3, it connects and shows logs, but the home screen doesn't go away and the VNC screen doesn't show. I have experience in programming and linux and etc., but I'm just a bit lost when working with this.
juniorRubyist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 10:53 AM   #525
krok
krok began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, Kindle
Hello!

I am following Raspbery tutorial too: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/v...ic.php?t=62139

I have problem with vncviewer, I have described it in detail in the gist:
https://gist.github.com/MurKit/8083f...900dd1663edc38

The error itself looks like this (yes my kindle lives in 2011 )
Quote:
/mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/kvncviewer.sh 192.168.15.201:5901 &

03/06/2011 20:47:10 VNC server supports protocol version 3.8 (viewer 3.8)
03/06/2011 20:47:10 We have 2 security types to read
03/06/2011 20:47:10 0) Received security type 2
03/06/2011 20:47:10 Selecting security type 2 (0/2 in the list)
03/06/2011 20:47:10 1) Received security type 16
03/06/2011 20:47:10 Selected Security Scheme 2
got request for password, but no password was given on command line.
03/06/2011 20:47:10 Reading password failed
krok is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
application, kindle, source, viewer, vnc