Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 09-01-2010, 01:04 AM   #1
cheyennedonna
Edge User

3G Mgr

OK, after the update, in manage applications, there is now a 3G Mgr app. Anyone know what that is all about?

Old 09-01-2010, 03:02 AM   #2
BNA
Edge User

I saw that too! and in system/apps/ is VZConnectionManager.apk! I have a USB760 3G card with Verizon, and elsewhere in this forum it was mentioned that there was possible compatibility. Anyone have an idea when or how i can use it? Thanks all!

Advert
Old 09-01-2010, 04:05 AM   #3
jcase
Edge User

Quote:
"The eDGe does not have a 3G radio at this time. "
Brendan Mannix
Manager of SQA
According to Entourage Staff, there is no 3G radio in the device.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:57 AM   #4
borisb
Edge User

It could be they're using one code base to support the current and new models coming to Verizon this Fall. If the model has a 3G radio, the files kick in, otherwise they're ignored. I'm wondering, too, if perhaps they're planning to officially support a Verizon USB 3G modem, even on the current eDGe?

Old 09-01-2010, 09:59 AM   #5
NiaTrue
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
It I'm wondering, too, if perhaps they're planning to officially support a Verizon USB 3G modem, even on the current eDGe?
This was my guess.

Advert
Old 09-01-2010, 10:52 AM   #6
borisb
Edge User

I have heard in the past that some US 3G USB modems already work, but "unofficially". If you have a 3G USB modem handy, try plugging it in and see what happens. Verizon in contrast would be "officially" supported.

Very early (March? April?) on when I asked about 3G support, enTourage told me that most carriers want/need a custom app to handle the connections, which is what this Verizon connection manager app sounds like. The "unofficial" others I guess must work at a more basic feature level.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:20 PM   #7
BNA
Edge User

Well I plugged my Verizon 3G stick into the USB and didn't get any response from the edge. I thought it may have to do with the "Mobile Broadband Connection" settings, but still no luck.

So i have a limited knowledge of adb etc, but i was able to pull the VZConnectionManager.apk off the edge and had a peek inside. Here are a couple interesting things i found:

1. a bunch of .png pictures of different signal strengths (one bar, two bars, three bars, four bars, cdma one bar, cdma two bars, etc)
2. xml files: activate_manually.xml, connect.xml, device_info.xml, preference_widget_wifi_signal.xml, session_log.xml, usage.xml

So yeah, a wifi widget would be cool. Now if i only knew enough to activate my 3G stick!

Last edited by BNA; 09-01-2010 at 05:27 PM.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:20 PM   #8
robot
Edge User

As far as I know they're planning to release new device, the same with EE but 6inch with GSM\CDMA module. So...

Old 09-01-2010, 07:39 PM   #9
borisb
Edge User

Robot is definitely right. enTourage, since early this year, indicated that 3G would be built into a new model, and the current one wouldn't have built-it 3G possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNA View Post
i was able to pull the VZConnectionManager.apk off the edge and had a peek inside
However... I just noticed this is an APK file. Try launching it (on your eDGe) and see what/if it installs...

Old 09-01-2010, 09:16 PM   #10
BNA
Edge User

Hm... well running the apk asks to reinstall 3G Mgr, so whatever it is its on there.... possibly waiting for verizon to officially pick the edge up? From what boris and robot are saying the original edge may not end up w/ verizon support?

Google maps is running great with coyote. I'm just imagining how amazing edge+3g+google maps would be on road trips...drool

Old 09-01-2010, 09:20 PM   #11
borisb
Edge User

Thanks for trying that It would seem then as I guessed earlier - the 3G Mgr app is there because enTourage is using the same code for the current and next model. The online rumours were that Verizon would have 2 enTourage models - a large one and small one. It's quite possible the large one will in fact be the same as our current eDGe, just with the 3G radio circuitry included (it was supposed to be there originally, but got yanked late in the cycle because a 3G carrier deal couldn't be hammered out in time or something). I'm personally hoping the smaller model is a mini-me of the eDGe. That would be so cool!

Old 09-01-2010, 09:40 PM   #12
cheyennedonna
Edge User

A mini edge would be totally cool, but not if I had to use Verizon service to get one. I hope they offer the unit with choices in addition to Verizon like WiFi only or unlocked 3G too.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:42 PM   #13
jcase
Edge User

Internal Verizon documents that I am privy to do not list the eDGe among the coming lineup.

However it does list other tablets that are potentially android.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:42 PM   #14
borisb
Edge User

Interesting. Rumours are rumours after all (http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/Veri...e-a_12807.html, http://www.cnet.com/8301-19736_1-200...=mncol;titleW:).

Old 09-02-2010, 12:13 AM   #15
guyjack
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot View Post
As far as I know they're planning to release new device, the same with EE but 6inch with GSM\CDMA module. So...
So what do you think it'll cost?