Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 12-01-2013, 12:56 AM   #16
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Hey thanks everybody for the feedback. I'm checking out everything. Inkscape looks great (if a little technical with the SVG stuff and all). That photo serif looks good. (But it sounds a little annoying, always reminding you of the features you're missing out on in the upgraded version.) And then there is GimpPhoto, which I figured, what the heck if I'm going to do that, I might as well try GIMP (I already have GIMP). So I started experimenting with GIMP again. It wasn't as bad as it usually is. The text seemed more do-able. But getting it to re-size took more than the GIMP tutorial and a former GIMP teacher (on Google). Really it took all that and dumb luck. But it is powerful. It whips through stuff paint.net chugs through. And how come nobody says anything about paint.net? Save its lack of power, I think it's great.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:42 PM   #17
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's between PhotoplusSE and PhotoPosPro. Anybody have any opinions on these two?
Advert
Old 12-03-2013, 06:55 PM   #18
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Sorry I'm not familiar with either.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:08 PM   #19
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
That photo serif looks good. (But it sounds a little annoying, always reminding you of the features you're missing out on in the upgraded version.)
Hm. Sorry. The last time I've looked at it, was years ago. Back then, it was just an older version, without any changes.

I see PhotoPlus SE is now a seperate product from Serif PhotoPlus; a bit like Photoshop Elements stands to Photoshop. I don't know this version.

I've never heard of the other program you mention.

Quote:
And then there is GimpPhoto, which I figured, what the heck if I'm going to do that, I might as well try GIMP (I already have GIMP).
GimpPhoto and GimpShops are hacks to make GIMP look more like Photoshop with regards to the menu names and option names and such. They're not developed very actively, if at all. My suggestion would be to use either GIMP or Photoshop, not some sort of "Photoshop-ifified" GIMP that's months or even years behind behind the curve.

Quote:
And how come nobody says anything about paint.net? Save its lack of power, I think it's great.
Paint.NET was never intended to do serious stuff with. That's not powerful is the entire issue. It's not called Paint.NET for nothing; it's a replacement for MS Paint
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:01 AM   #20
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I just use GIMP for making covers from a combination of backgrounds and images that are in the PD. Wikipedia is my friend there. There are plenty of pics of authors whose books are in PD (though not every PD author's page has a picture, or one that is easily usable).
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2013, 01:59 PM   #21
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I just use GIMP for making covers from a combination of backgrounds and images that are in the PD. Wikipedia is my friend there. There are plenty of pics of authors whose books are in PD (though not every PD author's page has a picture, or one that is easily usable).
Thanks crich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post

GimpPhoto and GimpShops are hacks to make GIMP look more like Photoshop with regards to the menu names and option names and such. They're not developed very actively, if at all. My suggestion would be to use either GIMP or Photoshop, not some sort of "Photoshop-ifified" GIMP that's months or even years behind behind the curve.

Paint.NET was never intended to do serious stuff with. That's not powerful is the entire issue. It's not called Paint.NET for nothing; it's a replacement for MS Paint
Thanks Kat. Appreciate the heads-up about the Photoshopiffified GIMPs. And poor paint.net. All it needs is some more power!

But this Photo Pos Pro looks powerful.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multime...-Pos-Pro.shtml