Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-05-2013, 12:05 PM   #1
anthony81
thaumaturgist
anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW1+2,K5,NST/NST Glow/Kobo Aura
Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" Wins Display Shoot-Out.

Folks over at Display Mate have released there comprehensive test of flagship tablet displays. Tested was Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 8.9”, Apple iPad Air, Google Nexus 10. Overall winner was Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 8.9”!

http://www.displaymate.com/Tablet_ShootOut_3.htm
anthony81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:14 AM   #2
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Ouch, they don't like my iPad 2 screen. Oh well, I find it perfect for my needs.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:17 PM   #3
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Although it's clearly stated in the first post, I'd like to stress that the comparison is of the tablet displays and not the tablets.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:07 AM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
CNET likes the Kindle:

http://reviews.cnet.com/amazon-kindl...-hdx-8-9-inch/[QUOTE]

Quote:

as a pure media consumption device there is none better. While the iPad Air is home to the most and best apps of any tablet, the HDX 8.9 starts at $379; that's $120 less than the starting price for the iPad Air and even undercuts the upcoming -- and smaller -- iPad Mini Retina by about $20.

The HDX is the strongest evolution of the Kindle Fire brand yet; however, you'll want make sure you're a card-carrying citizen of the Amazon Prime ecoverse to get the most out of the tablet's offerings.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:11 AM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
CNET likes the Kindle:
... and monkey likes the Fire HD 7; even without Prime. Great media device!
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:16 AM   #6
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Monkey and CNET ... now that is an endorsement I cannot ignore!!

jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:33 AM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
... and monkey likes the Fire HD 7; even without Prime. Great media device!
I generally like my HD8.9.
Very good hardcover-class reader.
Fbreader sub-pixel addressing really shines on it.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:39 AM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
Monkey and CNET ... now that is an endorsement I cannot ignore!!

btw, your avatar is like, way cool - best one on MR

Last edited by tubemonkey; 11-07-2013 at 09:47 AM. Reason: typo - "your"
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:28 AM   #9
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Cool. My iPad does what I need it to do and has the games that I like. Works for me
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:27 PM   #10
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
Ouch, they don't like my iPad 2 screen. Oh well, I find it perfect for my needs.
That's the beauty of Apple products -- no amount of testing and reviewing can tarnish their perfection in the eyes of the iSumer. Pay no heed.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:04 PM   #11
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
That's the beauty of Apple products -- no amount of testing and reviewing can tarnish their perfection in the eyes of the iSumer. Pay no heed.
That's the beauty of people with an irrational hatred of apple products and apple users - they have to inject their hatred into *every* thread so that they can feel superior to Apple users.

I mean, are you even capable of understanding the utter arrogance of your comment? A couple of Apple users say that they're happy with their devices, despite positive reviews that the Kindle received...and you insult them by calling them "iSumers" and then you pretend that they claimed Apple devices were perfect, when all they did was express satisfaction with an an existing product.

It's just sad. Sad that MR tolerates the blatant insulting of Apple users, and sad that other posters have such tiny egos that they feel the need to express their superiority by insulting other users.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:41 PM   #12
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
That's rather an unfair characterization in my opinion. Most people I know who buy Apple products do so because they like them and find they meet their needs. That doesn't mean all Apple consumers are blindly subservient to every word that comes forth from Apple's marketing division any more than those of us who prefer Windows PCs over Macs believe PCs are better for everyone simply because they meet our particular needs better than Mac computers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
That's the beauty of people with an irrational hatred of apple products and apple users - they have to inject their hatred into *every* thread so that they can feel superior to Apple users.

I mean, are you even capable of understanding the utter arrogance of your comment? A couple of Apple users say that they're happy with their devices, despite positive reviews that the Kindle received...and you insult them by calling them "iSumers" and then you pretend that they claimed Apple devices were perfect, when all they did was express satisfaction with an an existing product.

It's just sad. Sad that MR tolerates the blatant insulting of Apple users, and sad that other posters have such tiny egos that they feel the need to express their superiority by insulting other users.
Interesting observation. Why does Mobileread, and by extention, each of the moderators, allow Apple bashing to continue? Could it be that we have a secret agenda against Apple?

Actually, many of the moderators themselves own Apple devices. Bob Russell owns a Macbook Air; DaleDe owns an iPad 2; HarryT owns an iPad 3 and an iPhone 4; Nate the great, I believe, although he doesn't list his devices separately, owns one each of every OS, iOS, Windows, and Android device ever made (okay, that last one may be an exaggeration); and in our house, I have an iPad Air and my wife has a new iMac and my old iPad.

And while we do try to rein in the Apple bashing AND Android bashing AND Amazon bashing AND any other product bashing we find going on, we walk a fine line. We don't want to make people afraid to voice legitimate concerns in the name of quelling wars between fanbois and flamers. After all, everyone's entitled to an opinion, and that includes even those who have a less than stellar opinion of your or my favorite device, no matter what that device may be.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 11-12-2013 at 12:51 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:48 AM   #13
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
I read about this recently. I'm not really surprised. I love the screens on the new iPad Air and Nexus 7 (2013), but I was kinda blown away when I demoed the HDX unit.

Overall, I'm really excited about this generation of LCDs, OLEDs, and e-ink screens. They are all getting so good that I can basically read on any device and feel very little strain. Makes something like Amazons Whispersync seem even more powerful as a tool.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:04 AM   #14
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Displaymate tested the iPad mini vs the new 7in Kindle and Nexus:

http://t.nbcnews.com/technology/ipad...sts-2D11617668

Quote:
Both the HDX 7" and Nexus 7 had extremely good coverage of the color gamut, meaning they display the full range of colors required by today's software and media. The iPad Mini, on the other hand, performed so poorly compared to them that its results had to be put in a separate chart.

The Mini's mirror-like surface also had the highest reflectance, meaning images can be washed out from ambient light — which wouldn't be a problem if it didn't also have the lowest brightness by far, nearly 30 percent dimmer than the Nexus 7, and lowest contrast ratings as well.

Does this mean the Mini has a bad screen? Not exactly — it just means that Amazon and Google leapfrogged Apple's already-solid displays, using state-of-the-art technology to achieve professional levels of color accuracy and brightness. And both the Nexus 7 ($229) and HDX 7" ($229 with built-in ads, $244 without) cost far less than the iPad Mini ($399), to boot.

If you go to the Apple Store and the Mini looks good to you, go for it — but if you're really serious about how things look on-screen (a photographer or movie buff, for instance), you owe it to yourself to check out the competition.
Between this and the lower clock rate, it sounds like those weighing the Mini vs the Air will likely be better off with the Air. Which will suit Apple just fine.

Last edited by fjtorres; 11-19-2013 at 07:07 AM.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:58 AM   #15
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
That's rather an unfair characterization in my opinion. Most people I know who buy Apple products do so because they like them and find they meet their needs. That doesn't mean all Apple consumers are blindly subservient to every word that comes forth from Apple's marketing division any more than those of us who prefer Windows PCs over Macs believe PCs are better for everyone simply because they meet our particular needs better than Mac computers.

Interesting observation. Why does Mobileread, and by extention, each of the moderators, allow Apple bashing to continue? Could it be that we have a secret agenda against Apple?

Actually, many of the moderators themselves own Apple devices. Bob Russell owns a Macbook Air; DaleDe owns an iPad 2; HarryT owns an iPad 3 and an iPhone 4; Nate the great, I believe, although he doesn't list his devices separately, owns one each of every OS, iOS, Windows, and Android device ever made (okay, that last one may be an exaggeration); and in our house, I have an iPad Air and my wife has a new iMac and my old iPad.

And while we do try to rein in the Apple bashing AND Android bashing AND Amazon bashing AND any other product bashing we find going on, we walk a fine line. We don't want to make people afraid to voice legitimate concerns in the name of quelling wars between fanbois and flamers. After all, everyone's entitled to an opinion, and that includes even those who have a less than stellar opinion of your or my favorite device, no matter what that device may be.
There is a easily discernable difference between product or company bashing and people bashing, the latter of which characterized wizor's post.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote