Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-02-2013, 09:42 AM   #406
ekwus
ekwus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Hmm...
That listing shows that powerd was stopped before lipc could process the 'prevent screen saver' event.

Try it the other way around, I.E: Doing the 'prevent screen saver' prior to stopping any of the system services.

But 40 minutes?
That sounds more like something is running out of memory, triggering the OOM Killer, that leads to a forced re-boot.
(^ ^ ^ ^ BFG)
Hey thanks for the response. I was wondering about the screen saver message but decided to stick with what others were doing as no one else seems to have stability issues.

Do you know why netwatchd and powerd need to be switched off? I've started it again without doing either of these steps and the screen saver stop doesn't through an error now. Will see how long it lasts.

Also, not sure what would give me such a big mem leak when others aren't seeing anything. Could it be pixel depth maybe, I set the server to 24 bits but I've see others using 8 bits?

Cheers

Dave
ekwus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:48 AM   #407
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekwus View Post
Also, not sure what would give me such a big mem leak when others aren't seeing anything. Could it be pixel depth maybe, I set the server to 24 bits but I've see others using 8 bits?

Cheers

Dave
I don't think other people are using a DX as the viewer.
1) That large screen has a lot of pixels.
2) I seem to recall that a DX has less RAM than the other models. (After all, it is basically just a "large screen K2")
3) Other people may be stopping those services just to save memory (maybe).

If your current testing reboots much sooner than the 40 minutes of the the other setup, then I think I would look more at reducing the RAM required.
Such as reducing the pixel depth as you suggested.

Last edited by knc1; 08-02-2013 at 09:51 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #408
ekwus
ekwus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
I don't think other people are using a DX as the viewer.
1) That large screen has a lot of pixels.
2) I seem to recall that a DX has less RAM than the other models. (After all, it is basically just a "large screen K2")
3) Other people may be stopping those services just to save memory (maybe).

If your current testing reboots much sooner than the 40 minutes of the the other setup, then I think I would look more at reducing the RAM required.
Such as reducing the pixel depth as you suggested.
Hey knc1

The viewer has been running for 2.5 hours now, way past what ever I had before.

At first I tried leaving netwatchd and powerd running, however the telnet session was terminated by the remote host after around 10 minutes - guessing that netwatchd must monitor for network inactivity and close connections??

At the moment I kill netwatchd and leave powerd running which has led to 2.5 hours - Maybe powerd is required to stop a hardware watchdog on the DXG devices??

Anyway if anyone else is using a DX or DXG in summary I do the following at telnet/ssh stage

/etc/init.d/netwatchd stop
/mnt/us/kindlevncviewer.sh -password <passwd> 192.168.2.1:11 &

Worth pointing out that the "-password" parameter has to be before the server address - this took me a few hours to work out.

Thanks again for your help

Cheers

Dave
ekwus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:06 PM   #409
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekwus View Post
At the moment I kill netwatchd and leave powerd running which has led to 2.5 hours - Maybe powerd is required to stop a hardware watchdog on the DXG devices??

- - - -

Dave
There are (several) hardware watchdogs in the Kindles.
powerd might well be in charge of keeping one of them running.

I would agree that is a good guess.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:26 PM   #410
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
FWIW, the only thing I can add is that, for those 'reboot' wall to be sent by the USBNetwork hack, it has to be a proper runlevel switch, not a hard-reboot.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:13 AM   #411
MarquezFTW
MarquezFTW is a splendid one to beholdMarquezFTW is a splendid one to beholdMarquezFTW is a splendid one to beholdMarquezFTW is a splendid one to beholdMarquezFTW is a splendid one to beholdMarquezFTW is a splendid one to beholdMarquezFTW is a splendid one to beholdMarquezFTW is a splendid one to beholdMarquezFTW is a splendid one to beholdMarquezFTW is a splendid one to beholdMarquezFTW is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'm trying to run my Kindle Paperwhite running as an external monitor using bits and pieces of information all over the place but I'm currently stuck once I get access to my device in PuTTY (ie get the Welcome to Kindle! message and the stuff below it).

According to a guide to use a Kindle DX as an external monitor,
( http://www.techhive.com/article/2595...html#tk.hp_new )
I'm meant to run the following commands:
[root@kindle root]# /etc/init.d/netwatchd stop
[root@kindle root]# /etc/init.d/powerd stop
[root@kindle root]# /mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/kvncviewer.sh 192.168.2.1:1 &

The first command returns:
-sh: /etc/init.d/netwatchd: not found

What am I supposed to be doing from here?
Ifpossible, I'll need every step of what I need to do given to me as I don't ave any experience with telnet, VNC or the like.

--------------
Some background information that may be of use:
I followed the steps for the Kindle Touch to setup the NDIS networking and the IPV4 addresses. ( https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...USB_Networking )

I'm running Windows 8 and TightVNC

Hovering my mouse over TightVNC in the system tray gives:
192.168.15.201, 192.168.1.8 (no auth!)

I have require VNC authentication turned off.
MarquezFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:45 AM   #412
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Ignore the commands for netwatchd and powerd for now and try to get it working with just the call to kvncviewer.sh first. Note that you would need to change "192.168.2.1" to "192.168.15.201" for your setup! And possibly change ":1" to ":0", depending on your VNC server configuration.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:45 PM   #413
MarquezFTW
MarquezFTW is a splendid one to beholdMarquezFTW is a splendid one to beholdMarquezFTW is a splendid one to beholdMarquezFTW is a splendid one to beholdMarquezFTW is a splendid one to beholdMarquezFTW is a splendid one to beholdMarquezFTW is a splendid one to beholdMarquezFTW is a splendid one to beholdMarquezFTW is a splendid one to beholdMarquezFTW is a splendid one to beholdMarquezFTW is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for that. Stuck again though.

[root@kindle root]# /mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/kvncviewer.sh 192.168.15.201:0 &

results in:
[1]- Done(127) /mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/kvncviewer.sh 192.168.15.201:0
-sh: /mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/kvncviewer.sh: not found

Changing the ":0" to ":1" just reverses the order of the two lines on the console with the [1]- changing to [1]+

--------------------
The kindlevncviewer folder is in the root directory of my Kindle as per the original instructions. kvncviewer.sh is at the location stated in the code typed into the console as above.

The /etc/init.d/netwatchd stop command gives the same error message as in my previous post after running the command above.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:16 PM   #414
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarquezFTW View Post
Thanks for that. Stuck again though.

[root@kindle root]# /mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/kvncviewer.sh 192.168.15.201:0 &

- - - -

The /etc/init.d/netwatchd stop command gives the same error message as in my previous post after running the command above.
Just to check on that location, at the:
[root@kindle root]#
prompt, please enter:
ls -l /mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/kvncviewer.sh
(that is ell-s -ell ; ah "list long")

If that returns "not found" or anything other than the details of the file entry, then try:
ls -l /mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/*

To see if something added a ".txt" to the file's name.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:04 PM   #415
MarquezFTW

Thanks for that knc1.

The file is found as a .sh file ok at that location. How on earth can it be there yet not be found at the same time? I tried the /mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/kvncviewer.sh 192.168.15.201:0 & command again and get the same "not found" message post finding the file with the command you suggested to try.

-------------------
Just as a double check, the file list for /mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/ is:

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 6866 Jul 27 08:05 /mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/config.lua
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1997 Jul 27 08:05 /mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/keys.lua
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 133808 Jul 27 08:05 /mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/kindlevncviewer
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 273 Jul 27 09:10 /mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/kvncviewer.sh
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 289528 Jul 27 08:05 /mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/libjpeg.so.8
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 108516 Jul 27 08:05 /mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/libvncclient.so.0
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 36641 Jul 27 08:05 /mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/rfbkeys.lua

Last edited by MarquezFTW; 08-30-2013 at 11:13 PM.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:51 AM   #416
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarquezFTW View Post
Thanks for that knc1.

The file is found as a .sh file ok at that location. How on earth can it be there yet not be found at the same time? I tried the /mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/kvncviewer.sh 192.168.15.201:0 & command again and get the same "not found" message post finding the file with the command you suggested to try.

-------------------
Just as a double check, the file list for /mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/ is:

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 6866 Jul 27 08:05 /mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/config.lua
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1997 Jul 27 08:05 /mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/keys.lua
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 133808 Jul 27 08:05 /mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/kindlevncviewer
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 273 Jul 27 09:10 /mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/kvncviewer.sh
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 289528 Jul 27 08:05 /mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/libjpeg.so.8
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 108516 Jul 27 08:05 /mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/libvncclient.so.0
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 36641 Jul 27 08:05 /mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/rfbkeys.lua
Try with quotes:
/mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/kvncviewer.sh "192.168.15.201:0" &
The shell may be trying to do something strange with the ':'

OH - - and make sure that *.sh file has **UNIX** line endings, not **WINDOWS** line endings!
Old 08-31-2013, 01:45 AM   #417
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
The latter. The ":" should be OK, but I guess the interpreter line (first line) in the shell script got corrupted, so it's the interpreter that cannot be found. Touched with a not-that-sophisticated editor, perhaps?
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:52 AM   #418
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
The latter. The ":" should be OK, but I guess the interpreter line (first line) in the shell script got corrupted, so it's the interpreter that cannot be found. Touched with a not-that-sophisticated editor, perhaps?
The crew that writes BusyBox does a great job of writing tight, compact, code. . . .

But their idea of "descriptive error messages" leaves a bit (no pun intended) to be desired.

I expect that any day now, in their battle against "code bloat" they are going to settle on using just one general purpose error message:
"Command either not recognized or was unable to complete properly."

Or maybe just:
-EPEBKAC
For any and everything that returns an error code.

Last edited by knc1; 08-31-2013 at 08:57 AM.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:31 PM   #419
MarquezFTW

Thanks again guys,

The original /mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/kvncviewer.sh file from the original download runs (as per the image below). I get a bit of an overlay of what is running on my PC's screen but only in the black bar at the top of the screen of my Kindle.
http://imgur.com/0SftdrD

-------------

However, the corrected 'code' for the Paperwhite located in post 393 in this thread (as below) when saved in Notepad++ as a Unix Shell file (.sh), replaced on my Kindle and run, I get all the errors noted previously (as this was what was being run in the previous posts although saved in Windows Notepad).

Code:
#!/bin/sh
cd $(dirname "$0")
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=.
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
while :; do eips ''; usleep 80000; done &
lipc-set-prop com.lab126.powerd preventScreenSaver 1
./kindlevncviewer -config config.lua "$@"
lipc-set-prop com.lab126.powerd preventScreenSaver 0
------------

Also, it appears that my /etc/init.d/ folder is empty which would explain why the two commands in that folder don't work. Not sure if these are required to launch the above .sh file via KUAL (which I wasn't doing before... gah.).

Last edited by MarquezFTW; 09-01-2013 at 04:38 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:07 PM   #420
MarquezFTW

Any ideas guys?

Tags
application, kindle, source, viewer, vnc