Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 12:13 PM   #1066
maxjens
Connoisseur
maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad & Bebook Neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
Hi maxjens, I'm not following. If no book is opened, go back from where to where?

From library to book
Old 03-24-2013, 03:35 PM   #1067
crashnburn
Groupie
crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad1 iOS 5.1.1b, iPhone 4
Apparently this app is better than iBooks. Can we do an export import with Calibre on the iPad for this app?
Old 03-24-2013, 04:04 PM   #1068
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnburn View Post
Apparently this app is better than iBooks. Can we do an export import with Calibre on the iPad for this app?
This app is WAY better than ibooks!

You can easily set up Calibre as an OPDS server - then in Marvin enter the OPDS address under the "OPDS Catalogues" section. Then you can browse all your Calibre books and download any/all of them you want.

I'm not sure of the export capabilities of Calibre, other than just dragging and dropping the epub files into itunes...if you want to peruse the previous 71 pages, I know it has been mentioned a couple of times, but I haven't used it. Maybe someone else can answer that one better?? (Faterson bait!!)

Oh...another reason we should have a seperate Marvin Forum...to sort out the topics! Is there a moderator in the house??
Old 03-24-2013, 04:10 PM   #1069
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
Quote:
You can use the Calibre Content Server to import eBooks to your iPad via WLAN. With the metadata plugboard you can also update the metadata with series information when sending to the device.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:59 PM   #1070
crashnburn
Groupie
crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekk View Post
You can use the Calibre Content Server to import eBooks to your iPad via WLAN. With the metadata plugboard you can also update the metadata with series information when sending to the device.
I hope this wont require my Laptop with Calibre Server all the time? Just when I want to transfer. Right?

Also, could I transfer when I do not have a WiFi router/ WLAN? When I am out on the road ?

And it also Syncs/ Saves Hightlights/ Annotations over WiFi?
Old 03-24-2013, 06:37 PM   #1071
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
Syncing highlights and annotations to Calibre needs a special Calibre plugin to work. More info on this here: http://marvinapp.com/annotplugin.html and here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=205062

If you're out on the road, you can use Dropbox.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:41 PM   #1072
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
maxjens, Wouldn't you tap the book in the library to open it? Again, sorry of I'm misunderstanding. If you opened the book from the library and from the book you go back, you'll be taken to the library.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:21 PM   #1073
artbatista
Groupie
artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad 2
Quote:
I hope this wont require my Laptop with Calibre Server all the time? Just when I want to transfer. Right?

Also, could I transfer when I do not have a WiFi router/ WLAN? When I am out on the road ?

Correct, once you enable the calibre http server, you can the go to Marvin, select the OPDS feeds section (Cloud icon at bottom of library or home screen) and add your server to it, it would be like:

HTTP://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080/opds/

(XXX. etc is your calibre server's ip. address). The default port is 8080, but it can be changed in the http server section in Calibre. If like me, you like to leave the server running in a dedicated machine, you can set up username/password.

After that you can browse the catalog and download single or multiple books as needed.

If you wish to transfer from the road (No router or wifi available) you have options:

1.- you can setup an ad hoc wifi connection with your laptop when needed and run the calibre server.

2.- connect the iPad to the laptop with a cable, use iTunes (drag and drop to the Marvin file section).

If you decide to set up a dedicated calibre server, it's easy to forward the ports thru your router to the calibre server. I do this and have access from anywhere.

I don't use the annotations functions, but Alex (Aka Faterson) is really our resident expert on annotation and all things highlight.

Cheers

Art
Old 03-25-2013, 05:13 AM   #1074
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Lightbulb

Quote:
Can we do an export import with Calibre on the iPad for this app?
Crashnburn, to me really the easiest way to access my Calibre books so I can read them using Marvin, is no export at all. You can simply let SugarSync or Dropbox (or some such service) mirror your Calibre's "Books" folder online, and that's it. Then, you can directly open any Calibre book on your iPad. You don't need to run Calibre's "content server" a single time -- and you still will have access to alll your Calibre books on your iPad (and therefore in Marvin).

PS: Of course, if you have no Internet connectivity on your iPad, that doesn't work, but folks who don't have Internet connectivity would be best off throwing or giving away their iPads -- it's a wireless device that relies on being online all of the time.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:17 AM   #1075
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Lightbulb

Quote:
You can export/import/restore/share/merge your Marvin highlights, notes, bookmarks, and even vocabulary lists (!) via email. Marvin is absolutely unique in this superb functionality -- iBooks and Kindle must cower in shame in a corner.

There will also be iCloud syncing of the above features when Marvin for iPhone is realeased later this year. (And if/when Marvin for Android comes out, there will also be cross-platform syncing using Dropbox.)
Old 03-25-2013, 06:48 AM   #1076
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
When you use dropbox, od a double check and make sure your files transfered. I received a message that they had but noticed I was missing 2/3 of my books. I looked at the folder in dropbox and many of them had a blue symbol instead of a green check. I reopened Calibre and saved to dropbox again and this time all was well.

I am keeping all of my books on my iPad. I have 64 GB of space and a WiFi model. By having them all on the device, I can make sure that I have what I want, when I want it. Call me silly, but I have the space so why not?

I am looking forward to folders though.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:56 AM   #1077
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
When you use dropbox, do a double check and make sure your files transfered.
I just look at the Dropbox icon in the Windows/Mac OS status bar. If there's a green check-mark on the Dropbox icon in the status tray there, it means all your files are successfully synced in Dropbox. At least to me, that green check-mark has been 100% reliable so far.

SugarSync uses a "little green bird" icon in the status tray to indicate that all files are in sync. If there's a green spinning circle, SugarSync is currently syncing files.

I find Dropbox faster and more reliable than SugarSync, but both services are outstanding, and I wholeheartedly recommend them for transferring books to iPad and Marvin.

Quote:
I am keeping all of my books on my iPad. I have 64 GB of space and a WiFi model. By having them all on the device, I can make sure that I have what I want, when I want it. Call me silly, but I have the space so why not?
Absolutely... You must be congratulated on being wealthy enough to afford the 64 GB version. The only iPads I could ever buy were the basic 16 GB models, but those suit me fine as well. Oh, and there's even a 128 GB iPad out there for you now.

Quote:
They work fabulously (exceeding all my expectations) in Marvin 1.4 beta. I think Kris is very close to releasing the new version.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:32 AM   #1078
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Yeah, I didn't check the icons because Calibre said all was done. It was when I opened dropbox in MArvin that I realised there was a problem and took a look.

As for the 64 GB version, I figured I was buying an iPad so that I would have something easy to use when the baby arrived. I knew there would be a fair number of videos and pictures placed on it. I guessed that I would end up downloading baby appropriate programs to show him when we are driving for a few days for vacation. Plus movies for myself on the plane when travelling to visit parents. And the games I enjoy.

Lets just say that it did not take much to realize that this would be something I would be using for a long time and it made sense, to me, to go with the most storage space so that we could do whatever we want with it. It was worth the extra money.

Anyone who can afford an iPad, no matter how much money, is doing well. The basic model is not exactly cheap. Saving for a bit longer to get the larger memory is not that big of a deal. No 4G though, I don't want to pay the data charges.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:04 AM   #1079
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

See, that's where we differ. I find storage directly on the device non-essential, precisely because there are services such as Dropbox and SugarSync.

On the other hand, I find mobile Internet access crucial. So the first two iPads I bought, were both WiFi+3G versions.

However, times are changing: iOS 5 introduced the ultra-easy and hassle-free, excellent "mobile WiFi hotspot" feature -- so when I buy iPad mini with Retina display after it's released, it will be the 16 GB WiFi-only model. Why? Because it's so easy nowadays to use your iPhone's mobile Internet connection on your iPad as well, while on the go.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:05 AM   #1080
crashnburn
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
Syncing highlights and annotations to Calibre needs a special Calibre plugin to work. More info on this here: http://marvinapp.com/annotplugin.html and here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=205062

If you're out on the road, you can use Dropbox.
On the road in rural countryside where 2G data barely works is not a great use case for DropBox. It is the privilege of better Wireless Internet Infrastructure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artbatista View Post
Correct, once you enable the calibre http server, you can the go to Marvin, select the OPDS feeds section (Cloud icon at bottom of library or home screen) and add your server to it, it would be like:

HTTP://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080/opds/

(XXX. etc is your calibre server's ip. address). The default port is 8080, but it can be changed in the http server section in Calibre. If like me, you like to leave the server running in a dedicated machine, you can set up username/password.

After that you can browse the catalog and download single or multiple books as needed.

If you wish to transfer from the road (No router or wifi available) you have options:

1.- you can setup an ad hoc wifi connection with your laptop when needed and run the calibre server.

2.- connect the iPad to the laptop with a cable, use iTunes (drag and drop to the Marvin file section).

If you decide to set up a dedicated calibre server, it's easy to forward the ports thru your router to the calibre server. I do this and have access from anywhere.

I don't use the annotations functions, but Alex (Aka Faterson) is really our resident expert on annotation and all things highlight.

Cheers

Art
However, I am going to experiment with the Ad-Hoc connection and USB. I was keen on SugarSync since it allows custom folders, but weirdly despite tons of people asking for LOCAL NETWORK SYNC for years they have not implemented that. Only DropBox has it, but no Custom Folders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
Crashnburn, to me really the easiest way to access my Calibre books so I can read them using Marvin, is no export at all. You can simply let SugarSync or Dropbox (or some such service) mirror your Calibre's "Books" folder online, and that's it. Then, you can directly open any Calibre book on your iPad. You don't need to run Calibre's "content server" a single time -- and you still will have access to alll your Calibre books on your iPad (and therefore in Marvin).

PS: Of course, if you have no Internet connectivity on your iPad, that doesn't work, but folks who don't have Internet connectivity would be best off throwing or giving away their iPads -- it's a wireless device that relies on being online all of the time.
20+ hour bus journey through rural country side with spotty cell connection and barely working 2G connections, you can forget about WhatsApp working reliably.. DropBox/SugarSync are a dream away.

At those times, eBooks and TV Series, Movies (via XBMC) on a Jailbroken 64 GB iPad 1 bought used from Cowboom is a great companion with a long long battery life.

Quote:
When you use dropbox, od a double check and make sure your files transfered. I received a message that they had but noticed I was missing 2/3 of my books. I looked at the folder in dropbox and many of them had a blue symbol instead of a green check. I reopened Calibre and saved to dropbox again and this time all was well.

It's not about having MONEY, I'd rather get an older iPad with more space than a recent one with less space. For me its about the time when I want long battery life and consume MEDIA (books or videos).

PPS: I read about this app called ShuBook or something that's coming up as a nice Stanza replacement (I've heard/ read a lot about stanza). How does that compare to Marvin?

Some people on that thread said it was better? I am curious.

Last edited by crashnburn; 03-25-2013 at 08:08 AM.
Closed Thread