Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-10-2011, 09:59 PM   #1
plumboz
Novelist
plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
KDP Select

Amazon has put in place a program called KDP Select. Indie authors are promised a slice of a $500,000 pie in return for them making their book(s) exclusive to Amazon for at least a three month period. Lots of authors have already opted in, abandoning other ebook retailers like B&N, Sony, Kobo, Apple, Smashwords and Diesel.

For a variety of reasons I have chosen not to follow suit but would be interested in both writer and reader reactions to this latest move by the biggest player in the ebook game.

Any thoughts?
plumboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:10 PM   #2
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
We've been discussing Amazon's KDP Select program in this thread for several days, starting at page 7: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=153790.

My husband has also decided NOT to participate in KDP Select. He wants both Kindle and ePub readers to be able to enjoy his book. I know that this issue has rattled both authors and readers. It's going to be interesting to see how things shake out!
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:14 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you jump ship to go with just Amazon, then you deserve to fail.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:51 AM   #4
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
There's a whole world outside the USA, where, believe it or not, Amazon and the Kindle don't exist.
If you go exclusive with Amazon, you lose those readers (I hate to use the word "client" when speaking of books). Maybe they are not that important from an economic point of view, but if I were a writer I think I would like my books to be read worldwide.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:17 AM   #5
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
On the other hand, who else is offering a subscription service, which is basically what Amazon Prime is? Join for $79/year, get 12 books for free, video streaming, and free shipping.

Now, as a writer I have a choice: a second ebook format, or a new type of marketing. If I look at my epub sales and see a reasonably large percentage of my sales there, I'd turn thumbs-down on Amazon's subscription plan. If I see virtually nothing there, trying out a new marketing model for 90 days makes sense.

There isn't an automatic answer for every writer.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:21 AM   #6
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
it seems like there is always a point at which an innovative tech company loses the trust of its audience. Microsoft was probably the first, but after Jobs was fired from Apple, that company experienced the same thing. After awhile, no one believed the ratings on eBay because too many vendors were gaming the system. Does anyone believe that Facebook is a secure system? Google is on its way down, and now Amazon is working hard to join the rest.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:44 AM   #7
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
On the other hand, who else is offering a subscription service, which is basically what Amazon Prime is? Join for $79/year, get 12 books for free, ...
For authors who are considering going exclusive, could you please ask Amazon to include non-Kindle hardware (PC, Android, iPhone, ...). My understanding is that it is limited to Kindle hardware. Maybe they'll listen to their authors.

Thanks.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:09 AM   #8
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
There seems to be a lot of emotion over this topic. "Jumping ship" and a "whole world where Amazon and Kindle don't exist." Three months isn't exactly jumping ship and both Amazon and Kindle seem to exist world-wide. I know wanting to make some money is a horrible idea for some people but get real.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:33 AM   #9
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
... and both Amazon and Kindle seem to exist world-wide. ...
If an author signs up for KDP, are they available in all the international Amazon/Kindle stores?

Just curious.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:57 AM   #10
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
For authors who are considering going exclusive, could you please ask Amazon to include non-Kindle hardware (PC, Android, iPhone, ...). My understanding is that it is limited to Kindle hardware. Maybe they'll listen to their authors.

Thanks.
Incorrect. It's available to all devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
If an author signs up for KDP, are they available in all the international Amazon/Kindle stores?

Just curious.
The books are still available for sale in the Kindle Store. The KDP Select books (for lending purposes) are only available in the Kindle Prime, which for now is US only.
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:35 AM   #11
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by morriss003 View Post
it seems like there is always a point at which an innovative tech company loses the trust of its audience. Microsoft was probably the first, but after Jobs was fired from Apple, that company experienced the same thing. After awhile, no one believed the ratings on eBay because too many vendors were gaming the system. Does anyone believe that Facebook is a secure system? Google is on its way down, and now Amazon is working hard to join the rest.
I don't see this at all. In fact, I think it is backwards. Amazon just offered its "audience" 12 free books a year, and tens of thousands of authors have signed up for this program in the first week. I don't see any of *Amazon's* customers complaining about the fact that the company keeps offering them better service and more options for free. I think that Amazon's customers like this and are pleased that Amazon isn't resting on its laurels.

Of course it's an open question how much this will help the authors who join - but dramatically increasing the number of books available for lending is not a bad thing. If you are an Amazon customer.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:04 PM   #12
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnmr View Post
John F. was correct if he was talking about Kindle Owners' Lending Library (for Amazon Prime members). Books can only be borrowed by U.S. Amazon Prime members from a Kindle device.

From here:

Quote:
Books borrowed from the Kindle Owners' Lending Library can only be read on a Kindle device, not on Kindle reading apps.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:33 PM   #13
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
Deleted
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:45 PM   #14
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
I don't see this at all. In fact, I think it is backwards. Amazon just offered its "audience" 12 free books a year
$79/year isn't free. In fact, it's about $7/book, with them choosing the books, if I understand it correctly. Not a bad price, but not so good that I'm going to read stuff I otherwise wouldn't.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:56 PM   #15
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnmr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
John F. was correct if he was talking about Kindle Owners' Lending Library (for Amazon Prime members). Books can only be borrowed by U.S. Amazon Prime members from a Kindle device.

From here:
I'm talking about the Kindle Lending library.

I had prime. I had Kindle for PC. And I don't think I could borrow a book from the lending library.

I'm currently without Prime, so I can't verify right now.

Tags
kdp select