Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-30-2012, 09:10 AM   #76
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
"We?" If by "we" you mean the broad consumer market, "we" have already spoken loudly and clearly: We want it cheap, quality be darned. Else, Panasonic Toughbooks and Dolch like we used in the military, would be the best selling laptops, and most device casings would be made of metal, not plastic, and new generations of devices would come out years apart after long and thorough test cycles funded by the high prices we are willing to pay.

We have spoken: "We want inexpensive stuff that's just good enough!"

Some things get cheap by sacrificing overall quality, some do it by trimming out features. I personally prefer the latter, hence I have a Fire, and not some $99 no-name tablet found on ebay.

ApK
Yes and no. Military toughness is definitely overkill for the average consumer (not to mention that it adds size and weight), it wouldn't make sense to spend that much extra money just to get those features. And yes, many people prefer cheap stuff or are sucked in by really low prices. However, it is not as if the market place is being dominated by super cheap Chinese branded tablets, phones, and computers. The only time that price really was the main factor in electronics was during the netbook craze. These days a lot of products do command very high prices, but still manage to cut back on features.

With the Kindle Fire the trade off is very clear -- low price for low specs. A fair deal. But with the iPad, the Zoom, Samsung, etc you pay a very high price and they still skimp on the goodies. In those cases the consumer should demand more.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:18 AM   #77
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post

With the Kindle Fire the trade off is very clear -- low price for low specs. A fair deal. But with the iPad, the Zoom, Samsung, etc you pay a very high price and they still skimp on the goodies. In those cases the consumer should demand more.
I see the cult of Apple as distinct from the general market, and offer no explanation, EXCEPT TO SAY that, when we were shopping for a small portable device for my wife, we researched, and ended up with an iPod Touch, because, while the price jump they demand for a 16GB non-expandable memory increase sickened me, there was nothing else that did what it did, as well as it did it, to be found at any price.

Last edited by ApK; 03-30-2012 at 10:10 AM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2012, 10:09 AM   #78
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
We have spoken: "We want inexpensive stuff that's just good enough!"
yes - a tech author says
Quote:
For years I argued with notebook PC makers to use higher quality LCD panels but no one was willing to commit to the quantities that would lower costs enough. I was also told that as soon as you put these notebooks on shelves at Best Buy, users wouldn't really care whether they were getting a high quality IPS display or not - all that mattered was the final price.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5688/a...-2012-review/4
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:15 PM   #79
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
Thanks for the links. Beautiful. When the kids were younger, we used to go camping. Started out with a pop up and then got a HiLo.

Would love to get to Seattle some day. Want to visit Pike's Market. LOL

Carol
Try yurt camping - rustic and deluxe. I love it.

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:20 PM   #80
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
So, you live in Oregon? hmmm... interesting... I love that state, but no human power will convince my wife to move there. She "hates" peaceful and non-city places.... lol ...
No, I live in Washington; somewhere in metro Seattle; and I love both states. I could easily live on the west side of the Cascades in either state.
Advert
Old 03-30-2012, 01:22 PM   #81
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
You left out the steampunk accessories. Victorian era clothes need steampunk accessories.
Steampunk is like cowbells. You can never have too much.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:26 PM   #82
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMartin View Post
I have finally come to the realization that the issue around those who do and those who do not require expansion slots is about movies. Never watched a movie on my tablet or laptop. Cant imagine I ever will but then I watch a movie about once a year.
That's me

Until the cloud is readily accessed no matter where I am, I'll always have need for expandable storage.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:33 PM   #83
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Try yurt camping - rustic and deluxe. I love it.

Now days it's hotels for us. In our younger days, maybe. Although we do have a park model trailer in Illinois.

Nice pic of Pike's Market. Used to watch The Frugal Gourmet and he used to go to Pike's Market.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:45 PM   #84
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I have finally come to the realization that the issue around those who do and those who do not require expansion slots is about movies. Never watched a movie on my tablet or laptop. Cant imagine I ever will but then I watch a movie about once a year.

I can see how an expansion slot would be important if you watch movies. I was wondering what all the storage space was for. Call me slow
I think...mostly..for the casual user. Although music can eat up space too, especially on an 8GB device. For a tablet I don't think it's a big deal, but my wife needs more like 16GB or so for music + apps, etc on her phone (otherwise it means constant tinkering with what is on it).

PDFs can also be large. Using my tablet for ScummVM could eat up the space also (oldschool PC adventure game emulator).

Honestly I get by fine on an 8GB device day-to-day...but if I was going on a trip...I'd be sure to have some movies on an SD card for the kids.

And power users can certainly use the space. I haven't messed around with getting DOSbox or an Amiga emulator working on my Thrive yet...generally use my laptop for that. I imagine a bunch of CD images or the like would eat into my available 6GB or so of space pretty quickly.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 03-30-2012 at 01:49 PM.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:49 PM   #85
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
Now days it's hotels for us. In our younger days, maybe. Although we do have a park model trailer in Illinois.

Nice pic of Pike's Market. Used to watch The Frugal Gourmet and he used to go to Pike's Market.

Carol
The thing I like about yurts is that you're inside a state park with all of its scenery and they're only about $40 a night. They have electricity, so I can watch movies on my tablet with mSD card slot and still keep it fully charged.

Ah, a local guy. Never saw his show.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:07 PM   #86
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
The thing I like about yurts is that you're inside a state park with all of its scenery and they're only about $40 a night. They have electricity, so I can watch movies on my tablet with mSD card slot and still keep it fully charged.

Ah, a local guy. Never saw his show.
The yurts do sound nice. I liked watching Jeff Smith. He used to tell a lot of history with the food and recipes. This was all before the scandal, etc.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:07 PM   #87
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
I think...mostly..for the casual user. Although music can eat up space too, especially on an 8GB device. For a tablet I don't think it's a big deal, but my wife needs more like 16GB or so for music + apps, etc on her phone (otherwise it means constant tinkering with what is on it).
Audiobooks are another thing that really eat up the GB's.

I have mSD cards loaded with music, audiobooks, and movies. Some of the cards are dedicated to just music or audiobooks or movies; while a few others have a mix. Very handy to swap between my various devices - Sansa Clip Zip, Samsung Galaxy Player 4 and Samsung Galaxy Player 5.

Clouds are great at home, but worthless when wifi is non-existent. Right now, I'm listening to a classical album on Amazon's cloud with my non-Amazon tablet (SGP5).
Old 03-30-2012, 02:29 PM   #88
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:

I can see how an expansion slot would be important if you watch movies. I was wondering what all the storage space was for. Call me slow
Don't need it for movies but comics/manga and technical PDF's take quite a bit of space.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:10 PM   #89
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I'm remember way back in the day when I got a PC and it had a 10 MB hard drive. I thought it would take me forever to fill that thing up. Now I have over 15 GB in music alone. Start adding PDFs and videos and now I want terabytes. As far as I'm concerned, the more storage the better. Right now I use Amazon's Cloud, but I'd prefer to store it locally.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:11 PM   #90
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
As far as I'm concerned, the more storage the better. Right now I use Amazon's Cloud, but I'd prefer to store it locally.
Tell me about it. I have a 12TB file server at home which I thought would last me quite a while. Ever since I started collecting Blu-ray, the free space is being depleted quite quickly (25-40GB per disc without recompression). Was supposed to switch to 2TB drives but the flood in Thailand drove HDD prices 2-3 times as high.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote