Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 10-11-2011, 07:37 PM   #106
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicinc View Post
pictures of the hole please?
It would be much safer to take the cover off and then make the hole.

Taking the cover off is a simple operation. All you need is a small phylips screwdriver and the edge if a credit card.

Pry up the 4 rubber 'feet' on the outside - e-ink side, this will expose the screw heads. Unscrew the screws, now open the PE and carefully run the edge of something like a credit card in the join between the cover and screen mount - this will unlock the clips and allow you to lift off the cover so exposing the circuit board.

Then you can easily locate the 3 pins that you need to connect to - use nikkie's pictures to see where everything goes.

Once you have the cover off you should find it easy to make the hole in the correct place without fear of damaging the circuit board.

It is not difficult, just take care and you should have no problems although the unclipping operation may be a little frustrating at first - the cover has a tendency to spring back if you are not careful - we use toothpicks here as necessary to keep the edges appart at the start when we remove the covers to laptop screens.

BTW the rubber feet can be reattached using double sided tape if necessary.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:17 PM   #107
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsenter View Post
In the end it looks like the same result could have been accomplished without ever opening the case and just with the right (modified) version of the golden update?
No, because while the device has the wrong firmware, the buttons don't work to instruct the device to do the reflash. You have to enter the uboot menu via serial and type "run boot_user" to instruct it to reflash, instead of using the buttons.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2011, 08:22 PM   #108
ktwombley
Connoisseur
ktwombley began at the beginning.

Device: pocket edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
Can you post the cabling diagrams (wiring colors) for folks without multimeters for these cables? Thanks!
Sure, just as soon as I receive them :-D

I placed my order today so maybe I'll have them by beginning of next week.
ktwombley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:27 PM   #109
JRANGER
Connoisseur
JRANGER began at the beginning.

Device: Edgejr
WOW

I step away for a couple weeks and you guys are making progress like crazy! I can see in time this beast will be unleashed!!!!
JRANGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:15 AM   #110
toyz
toyz began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
Quote:
No, because while the device has the wrong firmware, the buttons don't work to instruct the device to do the reflash. You have to enter the uboot menu via serial and type "run boot_user" to instruct it to reflash, instead of using the buttons.
Exactly!

And what clued me in to "run boot_user" was I watched my good PE attempt a reflash via menu+rotate buttons. It had a bootarg of "maint-5" or some such. Looking at the broken PE, I saw in printenv that boot_user_args had a
"maint-5".

For others wondering why "boot_user", the "user" part must indicate this is the process that an end user would use to do a reflash. The other boot variables are nice because they show you how you might go about experimenting.
toyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2011, 12:17 PM   #111
JRANGER
Connoisseur
JRANGER began at the beginning.

Device: Edgejr
Maybe

Not sure if this is possible but I was rooting a Nook Color the other day for a friend and it uses a Clockwork Mod bootable SD card to get it setup...Is it possible to write a .sh script that would initiate the boot of a bootable CWM SD card? ie....sh script in a update.zip that when initiated by the menu + rotate boot to clockwork?

Just an idea......
JRANGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:34 PM   #112
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRANGER View Post
Not sure if this is possible but I was rooting a Nook Color the other day for a friend and it uses a Clockwork Mod bootable SD card to get it setup...Is it possible to write a .sh script that would initiate the boot of a bootable CWM SD card? ie....sh script in a update.zip that when initiated by the menu + rotate boot to clockwork?

Just an idea......
I've been looking into clockwork, and it looks like the author has a bunch of specific files for each device to load all the right files when you do the recovery. I'm interested, but I don't think it will be easy. We'd have to provide the list of recovery files.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:02 PM   #113
nikkie
Guru

Anyone in this thread have a device with WSOD? I'd like to see what the serial debugging info is for that problem.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:49 PM   #114
tarvoke
Dog Dentist
tarvoke began at the beginning.

Device: PE, GT540, VM670, GOGHVMU, Qualcomm 1600
Quote:
I've been looking into clockwork, and it looks like the author has a bunch of specific files for each device to load all the right files when you do the recovery. I'm interested, but I don't think it will be easy. We'd have to provide the list of recovery files.
adding to clockworkmod from a normal-ish device doesn't look too difficult - get the recovery image from the device itself, and then let cwm patch itself into it. ( http://www.koushikdutta.com/2010/10/...ry-to-new.html ) - so that you retain kernel, driver modules, etc. from the device itself, so it can boot and not panic, buttons and lcd still work, etc. etc. and the cwm recovery screen has just sort of hooked itself into a jump instruction at some point.

has anyone tried to dump a "standard" boot image or recovery image from the Edge? (been meaning to but lazy - I'll give it a try after work today though) - I thought the problem was that the Edge has a non-standard (for android anyway) boot - like from a ramdisk or something, or that the images were there but in protected regions.

if it's not a standard image, I don't think passing cwm recovery files is the problem, but rather getting cwm hooked into the Edge's boot image is.

anyway, I'll report back in a couple hours the results of attempting to dump the image, one way or the other...
tarvoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:55 PM   #115
tarvoke
Dog Dentist

ah ok, my bad - knew it all sounded familiar - so the people in the development thread had already been into all this.

all the other partitions except mtd5 "maintenance" don't seem to be real filesystems? plus from the dev thread no one has been able to write to it, appears locked... great...
Old 10-12-2011, 06:20 PM   #116
tarvoke
Dog Dentist

hm plus the maintenance ramdisk seems strangely devoid of anything useful.

but...

the other kernel, recovery, etc. dumps either look like "data" (e.g. mtd 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 - could be hashed or encoded?) or else "dos executable" (e.g. mtd 0, 1, 4 - weird but they actually only contain FF repeated and nothing else - possibly that means there's some hardware trigger that is required to read them properly? that or just they are in fact garbage)
Old 10-12-2011, 06:31 PM   #117
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
they tried to make the development on this device impossible, not realising the more hackable a device the more developers will attract and more popular will become, with users having firmware options.
Entourage did it to themselves really.
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:04 PM   #118
toyz
toyz began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
Gurrr...

I wanted to see the other side of the board since I flashed successfully (directly to ermine) but said the sdcard (internal?) was not formatted.

Well, I managed to break the power slider button... just like tekknogenius here. It's the inner black one, not the outer silver one.

(I suspected I could get the internal sdcard flashed with a dingo upgrade, but wasn't thinking)

Open to brilliant ideas... or this might be a "lab device" which sits torn apart so I can get to everything.

Last edited by toyz; 10-12-2011 at 07:13 PM.
toyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:42 PM   #119
tarvoke
Dog Dentist

I've seen that more than a few times on pre-android ARM platforms, people stick to older setups that they're used to or think they need, and yeah a lot of that is keeping people from doing their own development on it.

btw I wondered if I was getting garbage image files b/c at first I had simply used dd against the mtd nodes - but then also tried dump_image as well as nanddump and still got the same garbage (no luck with getting nanddump to include possible oob data either)
Old 10-12-2011, 07:47 PM   #120
tarvoke
Dog Dentist

also a little odd, halfway thru trying various ways to dump images, the nodes all moved from /dev/mtdX to /dev/mtd/mtdX - ok, doesn't make much difference, just surprised me. (possibly triggered by me mounting /system as rw then ro a couple times, or unmounting and remounting usb0 several times - maybe triggered the volume daemon to get annoyed)