Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-12-2011, 04:54 AM   #1
Benjamin Buford
Nameless Being

Arrow Kobo Store: Searching, browsing and discovering - observations & suggestions.

I think the Kobo Store is great if you know exactly what you are looking for: You enter the Author / Title / ISBN / ... and you can buy that publication.

If I want to discover new books/authors, I have to resort to Amazon. That's just one aspect, and I find this is pretty hard to put into words. So maybe anyone who thinks that the store experience could be improved please help me to put that into words and into more specific suggestions.

The first suggestion I have is concerning the search: It really should be a bit stricter in terms of what is displays as search results.

Example 1: A search for the author named "Bronson Lemer". 341 results although there is only one single book published by this author. Should be 1 "good" result with maybe 10 remotely close matches, separated by a line or space.

Example 2: A search for the author named "Steven Zeeland". He has published several books, but none have been published as electronic books so far. This search yields 4155 results (apparently anything containing the term "Steven"), although there should really be 0 results.

Last edited by Benjamin Buford; 07-12-2011 at 02:18 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:00 AM   #2
Benjamin Buford
Nameless Being

Another thing is the category "Free Books". It is perfectly understandable that this category probably isn't very high priority as it does not generate revenue (at least not directly), but when I click on it, all I receive is an endless string of books, hundreds of them in a row, umpteen pages And thats it I feel like this should be different.
Advert
Old 07-12-2011, 08:42 AM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Buford View Post

Example 1: A search for the author named "Bronson Lemer". 341 results although there is only one single book published by this author. Should be 1 "good" result with maybe 10 remotely close matches, separated by a line or space.
I pout her name in surroudned by quotes. Got a single hit! The Last Deployment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Buford View Post
Example 2: A search for the author named "Steven Zeeland". He has published several books, but none have been published as electronic books so far. This search yields 4155 results (apparently anything containing the term "Steven"), although there should really be 0 results.
Again, searching for "Steven Zeeland" (in quotes) no hits!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:52 AM   #4
46jimbo
Zealot
46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: Kobo Touch + Kobo Aura
Yes, it's the same as searching on Google. Put quotation marks around the author's name and it will only search for that 2 word combo.
46jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:12 PM   #5
Benjamin Buford
Nameless Being

oh, thanks I use the quotes on Google every day, but somehow that didn't cross my mind Well ok, that does indeed produce search results to my taste.

But you run into trouble with quotes if there is an initial from a middle name, or some different spelling like Leo Tolstoi / Lew Tolstoy / Lyof N. Tolstoi, or if first/last name are in reverse order like Tolstoy, Lew (which I have yet to see on the Kobo store, but nevertheless).
Advert
Old 07-12-2011, 06:40 PM   #6
digiSara
Groupie
digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: Kobo wifi
What I find annoying is if you start typing an author's name, it pops up suggestions as you type, so you click on the suggestion - and you get 100's of hits (some very unrelated) - their suggestions really should be treated the same as the name in quotes.
digiSara is offline   Reply With Quote