Yes I would like to get todays TV listings on my device 9 16.07%
No I would not 47 83.93%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-06-2011, 12:04 PM   #1
nickkindle
nickkindle is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle 3
TV Programs

I have searched the forums but could not find a thread concerning this....

Really! Really! love the Calibre2 "fetch news" feature 100% well done!

What I'm looking for is a similar feature to fetch the days TV program listings.

Currently I get TV program listings/content/viewing recommendations from web sites like bbc,prisma or tv14 Etc and cut paste convert blaa blaa blaa into mobi upload delete previous Etc.........It would be great if it was as simple as "fetch news" may called "fetch TV"?

Anyone else agree?

Nick
nickkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:09 PM   #2
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
You could try asking your calibre question in the calibre section (you'll find it just down the list a bit). People here aren't actually locked into various forums -- they visit all the ones they're interested in -- but they're more likely to post a calibre-related answer in the calibre question area, not in General.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2011, 12:14 PM   #3
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Welcome to Mobileread Nick ....

can't think of anything more boring to have each day ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:26 PM   #4
nookkatz
Tuxedo Cats!
nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks and iThings
I spend too much time reading to watch TV . . . actually, I think I could get rid of the TV set and not miss it a bit.
nookkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:18 PM   #5
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
I wouldn't mind radio listings with detailed summary of programme content.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2011, 04:55 PM   #6
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
You might be able to do this with existing functionality if you can find a site that will serve the TV program as an RSS feed. You could then create a recipe for that. It is, as far as I know, also possible to create a recipe that scrapes a webpage for content, although it would be much more difficult do do.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:24 PM   #7
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
I know this sounds very un-American, but I don't have a TV and haven't watched broadcast TV, either off the air or cable, at home in over 6 years. I may have watched a total of 3-5 hours in hotel rooms while traveling during that time. Which boils down to having TV listings on my ereader being of no value to me.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:23 PM   #8
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I think it would be to long of a list........We have Directv so about 600 channels that we get, plus pay~per views and music channels. ;D
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:46 PM   #9
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
The only time I watch TV is when I am at home and I keep a window open on my computer with a TV guide on it. Using calibre to download a guide to my e-book reader, then using the reader to look up TV programming would be far more hassle.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:23 PM   #10
Canadiancynic
Canadiancynic began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Lifedrive
Here's a quick way to do it.

http://www.pogdesign.co.uk/cat/

This is a personalized, customized TV calendar. Plug that into Google Calendar.

Now, you can create RSS feeds from that Calendar. The full range of options you can call via the API is listed here.

http://code.google.com/apis/calendar...tml#Parameters

You may have to write a custom recipe to get it to display the way you want.
Canadiancynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 03:11 PM   #11
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Here's a quick way to do it.

http://www.pogdesign.co.uk/cat/
Interesting link
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:32 PM   #12
nickkindle
nickkindle is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle 3
Thats very interesting

Thanks for the links........ It looks interesting and more importantly practical.

Nick
nickkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:25 PM   #13
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickkindle View Post
Thanks for the links........ It looks interesting and more importantly practical.
As to your original question, the two most common ways to have a recipe obtain data (like TV listings) are: 1) with an RSS feed (mentioned above), and 2) by scraping a page.

There's no reason a recipe couldn't be written to scrape TV listings from a page if an RSS feed isn't available. It just takes someone who wants it enough to do it.

Typically TV guide data is in a table, and often there are scripts involved, so it might take some effort to get the right data and tweak the formatting, but it's probably quite doable.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote