Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-24-2009, 09:59 AM   #1
Sheikspeare
Groupie
Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PR-505 / Kindle DX
New firmware for Kindle DX ?

Hello

Is there anything on the grapevine about new firmware (official updates/software )for the Kindle DX?

Any info appreciated!
Sheikspeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:06 AM   #2
SalvaG
Enthusiast
SalvaG is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle DX
Nothing at all
SalvaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:01 PM   #3
greyparrot
eBook enthusiast
greyparrot began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX/Kindle 2/Sony PRS-505
I just received update, 2.1 (337560062) on my DX. I don't know what changed, but I did get the 'Software update' warning and a reboot.

Last edited by greyparrot; 07-24-2009 at 06:06 PM.
greyparrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:44 PM   #4
Studio717
Addict
Studio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enough

Device: Various Kindles, iPhone, iPad, Galaxy 10.1
I think this happened for me, too, though when I checked here, there was a June posting giving a version number that's the same as mine is now. But my DX definitely rebooted itself while it was in front of me on my desk.
Studio717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:50 PM   #5
ebs
Zealot
ebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enough

I can confirm that new update for DX is being pushed from Amazon:

<item priority="0" type="FWUP" action="GET" key="UpdatePRL_50876_5BF61412.bin" is_incremental="false" sequence="0">DEVICE04</item>

Last edited by ebs; 07-24-2009 at 10:12 PM.
ebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:52 PM   #6
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio717 View Post
I think this happened for me, too, though when I checked here, there was a June posting giving a version number that's the same as mine is now. But my DX definitely rebooted itself while it was in front of me on my desk.
Have played with PDFs to see if there is something new?
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:04 PM   #7
ebs
Zealot
ebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs View Post
I can confirm that new update for DX is being pushed from Amazon:

<item priority="0" type="FWUP" action="GET" key="UpdatePRL_50876_5BF61412.bin" is_incremental="false" sequence="0">DEVICE04</item>
It's WAN card internal firmware update, nothing else.

Last edited by ebs; 07-24-2009 at 10:12 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:11 AM   #8
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindles,SurfacePro2,NookColor,Pocket Edge,Samsung 10.1 Tab,S2 phone
Quote:
It's WAN card internal firmware update, nothing else.
I got mine in late June, I think. But it has the version numbers mentioned here.

I imagine that I don't need to uninstall the sleep-screen changes to go through this? Maybe mine was done before it left Indiana or wherever?

They never auto-update me anyway. Have always had to go get the file and just do it, which is fine, but it seems I already have this one.

Do you know what the change to the WAN card firmware was for ?
I know some people have had problems getting to websites. I haven't, and maybe whatever was before is what caused them probs.
andrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:49 AM   #9
ebs
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrys View Post
I got mine in late June, I think. But it has the version numbers mentioned here.
Unlikely, it's a new update.

Quote:
I imagine that I don't need to uninstall the sleep-screen changes to go through this? Maybe mine was done before it left Indiana or wherever?
No, this update only seems to touch firmware inside CDMA modem

Quote:
Do you know what the change to the WAN card firmware was for ?
I know some people have had problems getting to websites. I haven't, and maybe whatever was before is what caused them probs.
Preferred Roaming List update

Last edited by ebs; 07-26-2009 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Clarified WAN update purpose
Old 07-26-2009, 05:38 AM   #10
elmoglick
Groupie
elmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litter

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyparrot View Post
I just received update, 2.1 (337560062) on my DX. I don't know what changed, but I did get the 'Software update' warning and a reboot.
Interesting. That's the version mine arrived with 3 weeks ago. I've also confirmed from Amazon's site that this was the shipping version. There have been no firmware updates. It appears to have simply been a PRL update for the radio.

[From Amazon: Kindle DX: Kindle 2.1 (337560062) comes with the device]

El

Last edited by elmoglick; 07-26-2009 at 05:41 AM.
elmoglick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:05 AM   #11
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Quote:
Unlikely, it's a new update.
What I was trying to say was that I got my DX around June 28, but my firmware version number is the same as the one people are reporting as the new update's version number. This is very likely because it's true.

Also, I did the modification for the Amazon author-screen-images a bit over a week ago, so Amazon could not have updated mine in the last week or so.

Now, if that firmware update started to be deleted about 10 days ago in their often dragged-out updates, and it came in before I changed the screen-images that would be another thing but the ending numbers seem the same to me.

I do know people complain about not being able to work the web browser and I wonder if they were the ones for whom the WAN firmware updates were meant because they had the older version.

- Andrys
Old 07-26-2009, 08:07 AM   #12
andrys
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmoglick View Post
Interesting. That's the version mine arrived with 3 weeks ago. I've also confirmed from Amazon's site that this was the shipping version. There have been no firmware updates. It appears to have simply been a PRL update for the radio.

[From Amazon: Kindle DX: Kindle 2.1 (337560062) comes with the device]

El
Ah, finally, something that makes sense. Thanks for checking.

- Andrys
Old 07-27-2009, 12:58 AM   #13
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Not a very exciting update. Considering there are a lot of the things on the wishlest I was hoping for something more substantial sooner.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:43 PM   #14
Sheikspeare
Groupie
Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PR-505 / Kindle DX
Hello

Thanks for the comments. BTW, some of us can't get our updates since we're outside the US coverage area. Is there any way we can manually update our DX?
Sheikspeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:01 PM   #15
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
Not a very exciting update. Considering there are a lot of the things on the wishlest I was hoping for something more substantial sooner.
It may be a long wait.

I'm not sure that any of the reader companies have a very good track record on delivering new features. It seems to me that Amazon only delivers problem fixes. They did give a K1 update for whispersynch when the K2 was released, but otherwise no joy (: .

Any others have any thoughts or experience to the contrary?
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote