Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-03-2011, 02:25 PM   #1
madzippy
madzippy began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Too much of a good thing

Has anyone else experienced this?

When I close my eyes, I see lines of text. Granted, they are formatted in one of my Nook fonts, but still. I think I have to lay off my new ereader for awhile.....
madzippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:28 PM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Maybe you should switch it off before dropping it onto your face when you nap?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:39 PM   #3
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:53 PM   #4
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
*snort*
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:56 PM   #5
Fastolfe
Bookworm
Fastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by madzippy View Post

When I close my eyes, I see lines of text. Granted, they are formatted in one of my Nook fonts, but still. I think I have to lay off my new ereader for awhile.....
If you see lines of text when you close your eyes, you're not immersed enough in the story.

Like the guy in The Matrix who had looked at the scrolling symbols for so long he only saw places, people and objects, the text in books should become transparent, and you should only see the scenes and the action described in the book when you close your eyes. That's the power of books: they fill your head with fantastic ideas, breathtaking vistas, exciting plots and interesting characters, not text.

Too much reading? Hell no. Just this weekend, I binged on books from early Saturday morning to Sunday evening, which allowed me to complete 3 great books. I only put down the 4th because I really had to catch some sleep to have a chance of waking up on time for work this morning, but it was a heartbreaker let me tell you
Fastolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:34 PM   #6
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:

I had that haapen years before ebook readers were invented.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:01 AM   #7
Luke King
Member Retired
Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
I've had this problem for a long time. Often at night, when I'm going off to sleep, I see text, and I'm even reading (writing?) an imaginary book.

I often keep going back, scanning the imaginary page while I'm half asleep, trying to make sense out of it, but then I tell myself (I've learnt) that the same words aren't going to be there. This is an imaginary book. Not long after that, I fall asleep.

There was a time, a few years back, when I was doing way too much reading. I used to dream about text - as though it was a physical object, pursuing me.

Last edited by Luke King; 01-04-2011 at 01:03 AM. Reason: clarity.
Luke King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:33 AM   #8
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
I have been guilty of that before.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:47 AM   #9
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
I have been guilty of that before.
Me too.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:14 PM   #10
mountain_lion
Addict
mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: fbreader, Kindle
Not so far... who knows.
mountain_lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:29 AM   #11
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:

Maybe, but the lines of text have words, and when I'm sleeping I'm finishing off the book - in a completely different line...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:01 AM   #12
nashira
Addict
nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
....Does it count if I've been dreaming about ereaders? Or that sometimes I read blogs before bed and end up wherever the blog is from? Ahem.
nashira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:50 PM   #13
bobavey
Bob Avey
bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastolfe View Post
If you see lines of text when you close your eyes, you're not immersed enough in the story.

Like the guy in The Matrix who had looked at the scrolling symbols for so long he only saw places, people and objects, the text in books should become transparent, and you should only see the scenes and the action described in the book when you close your eyes. That's the power of books: they fill your head with fantastic ideas, breathtaking vistas, exciting plots and interesting characters, not text.

Too much reading? Hell no. Just this weekend, I binged on books from early Saturday morning to Sunday evening, which allowed me to complete 3 great books. I only put down the 4th because I really had to catch some sleep to have a chance of waking up on time for work this morning, but it was a heartbreaker let me tell you
Yeah, what Fastolfe said.
bobavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:05 PM   #14
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:

Not with reading, no. Tetris, yes. If I play for too long, I sometimes dream in Tetris.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:07 PM   #15
screwballl
NewKindler
screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
No problem with lines here... the Kindle makes it easy on my eyes, no burn in.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote