Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-06-2010, 07:55 PM   #1
dlizzy
dlizzy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
PDF to Sony reader 505

Hello, i would like to know if i can convert PDF files, to the format supported by my sony reader 505. But what do i to do, i mean, all the steps, font size convertion, structure detection, etc. I just dont know how calibre works... all the configuration
dlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:28 PM   #2
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
The 505 can read PDFs natively.

If you want to convert to something else (epub, I presume) Calibre can do that for you automagically.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2010, 01:02 AM   #3
dlizzy

but.. i dont know how.. i mean i "do it" but when i see the file, the lines are uncomplete, i mean there are breaks in the lines
Old 07-10-2010, 06:48 AM   #4
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
I think, Dlizzy, that this might be a problem with the formatting quality of the particular PDF you're reading rather than with the device itself. I didn't realise this until my own wee publishing house started to convert its PDF files to ePub and Mobi, but there are actually occult formatting errors in many PDFs that will not show up on a PC, laptop or netbook (standard checking platforms for most publishers and self-pubbed independent authors), but that will leap from the screen and glare at you on other reading devices. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:07 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlizzy View Post
but.. i dont know how.. i mean i "do it" but when i see the file, the lines are uncomplete, i mean there are breaks in the lines
PDF files convert badly to epub because the vast majority of PDF files are not reflowable. You might try adjusting the line unwrapping factor in the PDF input. Some folks have reported good results somewhere between 0.3 and 0.5 but your mileage might vary.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2010, 01:53 PM   #6
dlizzy

ok thanks... i'll try