Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 02-08-2008, 01:33 AM   #1
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
I found what looks to be a good deal on some iLiads

I can't afford one but thought I would pass along the kewords for fidning them on eBay. Search using:

iRex Iliad document ereader UNUSED + 1 gig SD card

They have I think 3-listings. I have no idea what gen they are or anything. But since they seem to be kinda scarce I would pass info along...well, that and since I can't afford it right now I can share with the class....

BTW, I have zero clue about the seller as I never have bought from them so cannot vouch for anything on that side of the deal.

Anyway, if it is a deal I hope ya enjoy them...maybe this fall for me...
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 07:38 AM   #2
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Looks like Karel saw your post: http://i-to-i.irexnet.com/2008/02/08...icial-version/

Caveat emptor.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2008, 07:51 AM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Here is what he posted:
Quote:
Recently some iLiads showed up on eBay that are being sold as new. Although these iLiads might never have been out of the box, they can be different from the iLiads sold via our official retail partners. The reason for this is because iRex sometimes produces iLiads with a different specification and software on request of certain business customers. Due to this these iLiads might not be able to read Mobipocket e-books or receive the regular software updates.

We identified some of the iLiads now being sold on eBay as part of a batch with such a different specification and in some cases even 1st edition iLiads. As these devices are tailored to the business customer’s wishes, they might not offer the same terms of warranty and therefore iRex Tech Support might not be able to offer the same support for those iLiads.

If you are interested to buy an iLiad we recommend buying one from our official partners listed on our website. If you buy an iLiad from a third party you can always verify that you are buying an iLiad with the standard software, and warranty by checking the model number, which is ER0140-002-000 for the Western version of the iLiad 2nd Edition.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 03:28 PM   #4
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
I'm not going to bid on one of these, but out of curiosity can the eFlyBook version of the iLiad be loaded with the standard software, or is it different enough that you're not really getting the same device as if you bought the regular consumer model?
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 03:49 PM   #5
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

nice catch...but I find it interesting that a company would, in essence, manufacture it's own knock-off's. And package them in the exact same box as the current product. I many other than the folks who frequent this site would even be aware there are different versions. Because when you look at the iRex site the box seems to be the same to me. Look here:

https://www.irexshop.com/index.php?cPath=22_27

At least that page does say 2nd edition. But if the box is the same people will never think to question anything beyond that...and it is not sufficient to say people need to question the product...why? The mfg did nothing to show the consumer the item might not be the same thing as shown on the site.

If a device is made to different spec's for a client then there really should be a simple way for the consumer to, at a glance, identify the item is different.

And it is actually off-putting for the company talking head to spew the "...we recommend you buy only from our official..." yadaydayada...diatribe. When in this instance the company created the potential for a consumer to get hosed. It sounds more like price fixing and protectionism. Business's have product they remainder or that gets into the 3rd party channels all the time. Sony tired this warranty BS with their electronics because Costco was selling Sony products at 30-40% below what the so-called "authorized" Sony retailer/re-sellers could...that did not turn out well for Sony. Compaq tried something similar early on (around 1988ish) and neither did it go well for them.

Had they made some simple change to the box itself for the 2nd editions (or those made to a custom spec) there would not be any confusion. But this is like Rolex actually making a few Fauxlex's because a certain customer wanted them...even though they look the same.

Now what would have happened if this seller was slick and decided to simply remove the devices from their boxes, list them one at a time and open them low...btw, $528 is not some "too good to be true" price, nor is $300 nor is $400. I sell well over $100k/yr on eBay and open $2000 items at $9.99 w/o a reserve...I can do so because the demand for what I sell is large so why pay eBay more in fees if I know full well I will get my price. In fact the research shows items opened LOW w/o reserve actually sell from 5%-20% higher then items opening near the actual value of the item. The numbers are even better id you examine the sell through rates for opening low vs. any losses for the occasional item that under performs. So again that comment from the iRex talking head is arrogant and thoughtless. They created the potential themselves.

Anyway, did anyone email the seller to ask? It would be interesting to see...and if iRex is really on the ball they can actually report the seller via the VERO program and have the auctions pulled an the seller prevented from listing them again. And that is what really needs done here is the seller is indeed offering a product that differs in anything but the warranty from what is currently shown on the iRex site. I mean if they really give a flip about their potential customers and brand's reputation. Cripes I think they make the best overall device out there...but if they are going to do stuff like knock-off their own products it makes one want to reconsider them as an option.

Anyway, here is the link for the VeRO program if anyone wants to pass it along to iRex:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/tp/vero-rights-owner.html

But one thing the right of first sale doctrine in the US protects the seller too if the item is genuine. Meaning once I buy a product the mfg has zero control over what is done with that product nor can they block reselling of that product.

Last edited by brecklundin; 02-08-2008 at 04:01 PM.
Advert
Old 02-08-2008, 04:37 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I did email. The seller says that the units are first edition Iliads.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:09 PM   #7
brecklundin
Banned

yup, I emailed too and got the same answer. I looked at the listing to see if he included my question with the listing. NOPE. So this is a marginal at best seller. Kinda sad so many sellers on eBay in the computer/electronics area are, well, not so good.

He did however give a clue about his experience level. One question he posted to the listing was about shipping to the UK...dude, only ships overseas using UPS. AwwwwwKKKK...that means a brokerage fee for the buyer on the UK side PLUS any VAT & custom's duty.

That is AWFUL. Right now the USPS International Express Mail for that item would be about $40 + any customs fees or VAT on the UK side. Nothing else...plus I believe USPS EMS has a 5 business day service guarantee to the UK. I might be mistaken but I am pretty sure that is the deal. I know it is a 5-day guarantee to Japan and other parts of Asia. And that is the basic International EMS not the much more expensive "Guaranteed Delivery Time EMS". Plus as the shipping I would get an 8% discount printing my EMS postage online with Endicia.

So no that seller is someone I would avoid. Failure to disclose details is/can be considered fraudulent. Attended an very interesting seminar put on by eBay's head of legal back around 2000. He spent a significant amount of time on the fact that omission and misdirection with the intent to deceive are potentially actionable.

Sorry they did not turn out to be a good deal...bummer! I was actually considering not having an Rx filled this month so I could bid...not to worry not having the med would not kill me...just would mean more pain killers...soooo, it was tempting...hehehehe...
Old 02-15-2008, 02:30 PM   #8
Redfox
aka Anne Lyle
Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
nice catch...but I find it interesting that a company would, in essence, manufacture it's own knock-off's. And package them in the exact same box as the current product. I many other than the folks who frequent this site would even be aware there are different versions. Because when you look at the iRex site the box seems to be the same to me. Look here:

https://www.irexshop.com/index.php?cPath=22_27

At least that page does say 2nd edition. But if the box is the same people will never think to question anything beyond that...and it is not sufficient to say people need to question the product...why? The mfg did nothing to show the consumer the item might not be the same thing as shown on the site.

If a device is made to different spec's for a client then there really should be a simple way for the consumer to, at a glance, identify the item is different.
To be fair, iRex seem to be a very small outfit - there's no mileage for them in having different boxes printed up for their B2B customers, especially if the custom machines were never intended to end up on sale to ordinary consumers. I've worked for a similarly small startup company, and since the VC sector became more cautious, you have to make savings where you can!

If the machines aren't standard, it's the seller's fault for not mentioning it, not iRex's.
Redfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 03:29 PM   #9
IanHelgesen
IanHelgesen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.IanHelgesen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.IanHelgesen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Irex Iliad
A little update to this: I bought one of these before Irex made this announcement, and it arrived last week. It is a V1 (which I was at least half-expecting when I bought it), but it is, as far as I can tell, the full version. I've updated it to firmware 2.12 and added shell acess with no trouble. Obviously, I can't guarentee that the same is true for the rest of them, but I have had no complaints with mine.
IanHelgesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 10:12 AM   #10
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Good to know, thanks for the update.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:52 PM   #11
JWLaRue
Addict
JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (blue, of course!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanHelgesen View Post
A little update to this: I bought one of these before Irex made this announcement, and it arrived last week. <text deleted>
Is this one of the units listed on eBay from Annapolis, MD?

Have you tried to get in on the battery/backplane upgrade?

-tnx,

Jeff
JWLaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 03:24 PM   #12
IanHelgesen
IanHelgesen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.IanHelgesen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.IanHelgesen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Irex Iliad
It is. I haven't tried to get in on the upgrade, since Irex's site says it closed in November.
IanHelgesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:45 PM   #13
bobowvu
bobowvu began at the beginning.

Device: IRex Iliad
I bought one of the Iliads from ebay, got it about a week ago. It is from the Annapolis, MD seller, rkgarinc. It is exactly as described on the listing. Its an unopend version 1 Iliad with a 1GB SD card. It looks and works great so far. The only downside is that it took him about a week to ship, but other than that it is legit. It is as-is, but as its unopened it seemed like a good risk. Also, rkgarinc offers a 3rd party warranty (they send you an option to get a 3 year moneyback warranty if it breaks for about $60), but that seemed to be purpose defeating.

Anyways, I got it, its not a scam or anything. I was able to successfully update it to the newest version (2.13 i think) without any problems. I have unlocked it so that i can put 3rd party software on it, but havent had time to do so.

It was well worth it in my opinion. And FYI, i bought a 16GB transcend CF card for $81 (including shipping) from Newegg.com. Im a very happy camper!

I have not tried to get the battery upgrade, i didnt think recent purchases qualified, but ill look into it.

Last edited by bobowvu; 03-02-2008 at 08:47 PM. Reason: didnt answer a question
bobowvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 09:21 PM   #14
JWLaRue
Addict
JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (blue, of course!)
Thanks, guys. Since I live in the Annapolis area, I'm trying to find out from rgcarinc if he'll accept a face-to-face delivery. Based on his eBay name and where he is, I'm thinking that these iLiads are extra stock from the eFlyBook project that the ARINC engineering (?) department had as leftovers.

...and I agree, for minimal difference in battery life and an unknown benefit of the new case back, the approximately $200 difference looks good!

-Jeff

p.s. were your iLiads in any way labeled differently than the stock iLiads? (e.g. an eFlyBook logo?)
JWLaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:36 AM   #15
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Hmm - If I'd not got my Sony 505, I'd be very seriously thinking how I could justify getting one of those! :-)
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote