Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-24-2007, 02:27 PM   #31
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
It may just be that MacPuters standard USB port drivers are more agile than the PC counterparts.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 03:54 PM   #32
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Is that the same one for the PSP, then? I was assuming I'd just look for that one.
The A54 is 4.5 V @ 1.5 A. I just checked the iGo website and that is the only tip listed for the PSP.

Being from the Lone Star state as you are, I should mention that I did get the unit at Radio Shack (headquartered in Ft. Worth) that also stocks a wide selection of the iTips.

It has done wonders for easing my travel (and home) charging. Currently I have tips for my laptop, camera, my wife's camera, video camera, mp3 player, cell phone, and the Sony Reader.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2007, 04:40 PM   #33
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

We picked up iGo car chargers from the Rat Shack (as I fondly call it) for our Trēos and have been pleased with them so far. They cost the same as the 'official' chargers, and mean that they won't become useless should I change phone types at some future time. I had accumulated chargers from 3~4 generations of Nokia phones -- I was careful to get new ones that were compatible with the old chargers, so they stayed useful, and it was quite handy having 6 wall chargers and 3 car chargers, etc.

I'm looking at increasing my business travel starting this fall, so the notebook charger with the 'extra' tap for other things (like phones, Readers, etc.) sounds pretty attractive. The cost is enough (for a charger, even a fancy versatile one) to make me think about it a while before I jump (before I explain it to the wife, too), I suppose since I'm going to be using it mainly for business travel, I can probably deduct at least part of the cost as a business expense (I expect to acquire a fair amount of that along the way).
Old 05-24-2007, 05:48 PM   #34
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
We use the same name here too although sometimes the second word is .... (Well, you understand.)

Mine has a max output of 65 W and the new one that they just introduced have a max out of 75 W. They are also discontinuing all of the "B" series of iTips in favor of the "A" series. This means that there will not be support for some of the older discontinued devices that they have not issued replacement "A" tips for.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 06:18 PM   #35
NatCh
Gizmologist

HP tc4400, Trēo 680, Sony Reader (masquerading as a PSP), I think all of those will probably be new enough to suit them and their snooty A series.

But all the same, I will check them each and all before I buy a charger.
Advert
Old 05-26-2007, 05:52 PM   #36
Plowman
Plowman began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
The charger octopus I was talking about sources power from a USB host, and has multiple connectors for devices that you want to charge.

As for the power output of other chargers, here is what you want to look for:

1) Is the PS output AC or DC.
2) Is the polarity correct (Positive or Negative on the tip)
3) Is the voltage the correct, or within range (within half a volt will never matter)
4) Is the power output correct (too little is bad, overage doesn't matter at all)
5) Is the connector the correct size

If all of these things match up, you can use any PS you find (not just for the reader, for just about any device you can find). The power output (in watts) just needs to be high enough. Any overage just isn't used. You could use a 10,000 Watt PS if everything else was correct and it would work just fine. The device will just use what it needs. Think about your lightbulbs in the house. Common wattages are around 65 watts, but the socket plugs into a line that could potentially supply 22000+ watts (depending on breakers/fuses/etc). No problem.

P
Plowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:18 AM   #37
kati42
kati42 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Yet on a PC the Sony driver must be installed for the USB charging to work.
I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd add that I successfully charged my PRS-505 via USB from my (plugged-in) laptop before installing the Sony software.
kati42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:21 AM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This thread is talking about the 500, not the 505. The 505 can be charged from any USB power source.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:54 AM   #39
NatCh
Gizmologist

Adjusted the thread title to avoid confusion.