Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 10-23-2009, 07:25 PM   #1
galavanter
Zealot
galavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-books

Device: jetBook, iPod Touch, Kindle 3
How Do I Create A HTML jetBook Page Break?

I purchased a favorite ebook yesterday that surprisingly, is not available on Amazon. I usually purchase my books there with the Kindle App and eventually get them from there to my jetBook in epub format using calibre.

I've spent an embarrassing number of hours trying to do this myself but can't. The html file created by ereader2html reads quite nicely on the jetBook (I upgraded to the latest firmware yesterday also).

The exception is a few places I would like a page break, all before the book actually begins. Here is the most important example:

I suppose I should mention Indian Jenny, but you’ll meet her along the way. Listen to her. She knows the gospel truth.<br>
<br>
You’ll see.<br>
<br><br><i>Along the western slopes of the Oregon Coastal Range*.*.*. come look: the hysterical crashing of tributaries as they merge into the Wakonda Auga River*.*.*.<br>

"You'll see." is actually the last two lines in the introduction. "Along" is the first word in the famous first sentence of the book.

If I had not read the book before, I would not even realize the intro had ended and the authors words had begun.

Would someone be kind enough to tell me exactly what to put exactly where? Will I replace anything at all? Please be specific, and I will let you know if the jetBook handles it as I hope it will.

No googling allowed, but I hope a few of you have read this great American novel. Thanks.

Last edited by galavanter; 10-23-2009 at 07:34 PM.
galavanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:20 PM   #2
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
I don't believe you can on the jetBook. With normal html, you'll need to use CSS, and I don't think the jetBook honors that. You could set it off with multiple <br>'s and force some white space. You could also form a cut line from underscore characters. Both of those are fairly bulletproof.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:11 PM   #3
galavanter
Zealot
galavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-books

You'll see.<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>

Is that what you meant? I made as many as 27 of them (<br>'s) and got no additional space between "You"ll see." and "Along"

I then made underscores across the page, and did indeed get a line between "You'll see." and "Along", unfortunately in the middle of a page.

I do appreciate the suggestions. Have I implemented them as you would have?
Old 10-23-2009, 11:17 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
You'll see.<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
Try...

You'll see.<br>&nbsp;
<br>&nbsp;
<br>&nbsp;
<br>&nbsp;
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:30 PM   #5
galavanter
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Try...

You'll see.<br>&nbsp;
<br>&nbsp;
<br>&nbsp;
<br>&nbsp;
Thanks but not working on the jetBook either. Both <br> and <br>&nbsp; are of course working in the live preview of the free trial of the Taco HTML Edit program I am using.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:49 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Why not just open the HTML with Sigil and create an ePub?
Old 10-23-2009, 11:58 PM   #7
galavanter
Zealot

I just may do that.

I have never used it however. How will I create a page break with it?
Old 10-24-2009, 12:00 AM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

It has a little icon in the menu to "create chapter break".
Old 10-24-2009, 12:02 AM   #9
galavanter
Zealot

Sounds like my kind of program.

Thanks Brian and Jack for your help.

Jim
Old 10-24-2009, 12:05 AM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

It's quite a nice program. Still early on so it's missing things like find/replace, but I hear that's coming in the next release.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:30 AM   #11
galavanter
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
It's quite a nice program. Still early on so it's missing things like find/replace, but I hear that's coming in the next release.
It sure is! That was too easy. Thanks for turning me on to it.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:42 AM   #12
galavanter
Zealot

Forgive me today has been a blur to this beginner converter.

Now I remember why I was sticking to html, and why I am back to it. When I converted to epub in calibre, which I don't know how to fully use (only thing I changed was select output to jetBook), I had a couple of issues:

The first was insignificant, @ symbol comes out as an "S" with a squiggly thing on top of it. But then there were also quite a few places where a comma or period didn't follow the word, but started on the next line.

But worst of all, the author of my book uses well—em dashes a lot (try making that character on your keyboard). They are completely ignored in calibre's default epub conversion, and the words on either side of the em dash appear as one, sometimes several instances per page.

Also, I didn't know how to get a page-paragraph break either.

Sigil makes the paragraph break easy, but I noticed I apparently lost some <br>'s between a couple short verses before the Introduction. They were all spaced one after the other after the epub conversion. Sigil also suffered from the missing em dash problem, which makes the book unreadable for me.

My apologies to the creators of both pieces of software. I'm sure an experienced user wouldn't have these issues, or would know how to correct them.

So I'm back to html for now. After all, I knew all Along where the book begins...
Old 10-24-2009, 10:06 AM   #13
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
I doubt changing formats will yield much on the jetBook. Its renderer for all formats except PDF is rather minimalist. It's one step up from raw text, but only one. Since that doesn't bother me, I like the jetBook, but it is a flaw.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 01:36 PM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
Forgive me today has been a blur to this beginner converter.

Now I remember why I was sticking to html, and why I am back to it. When I converted to epub in calibre, which I don't know how to fully use (only thing I changed was select output to jetBook), I had a couple of issues:

The first was insignificant, @ symbol comes out as an "S" with a squiggly thing on top of it. But then there were also quite a few places where a comma or period didn't follow the word, but started on the next line.

But worst of all, the author of my book uses well—em dashes a lot (try making that character on your keyboard). They are completely ignored in calibre's default epub conversion, and the words on either side of the em dash appear as one, sometimes several instances per page.

Also, I didn't know how to get a page-paragraph break either.

Sigil makes the paragraph break easy, but I noticed I apparently lost some <br>'s between a couple short verses before the Introduction. They were all spaced one after the other after the epub conversion. Sigil also suffered from the missing em dash problem, which makes the book unreadable for me.

My apologies to the creators of both pieces of software. I'm sure an experienced user wouldn't have these issues, or would know how to correct them.

So I'm back to html for now. After all, I knew all Along where the book begins...
Sounds more like a problem with the HTML output by ereader2html. There are some threads around here about character problems and how to fix them IIRC.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:40 PM   #15
macminer
Connoisseur
macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 3, Lenovo Tab 4 8" (formerly many others)
It seems Jetbook inbuilt HTML viewer actually cares about logical structure of HTML document, so if you use logical tags like H1, H2, H3, H4 for headings, you'll probably see a page break before them.
macminer is offline   Reply With Quote