Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-26-2011, 06:19 AM   #1
maxwellsilver
maxwellsilver began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 350
Screensaver or not? (to extend the life)

I heard about problems with e-ink screens when you left a picture long time on it, they said you could have "dead pixels". It's pretty when you open the cover and see an image you like, like the book's cover you're reading and sony have screensaver option on standby, that's cool... but what I really want is to protect my e-reader, to extend his life, and I don't know if it's better to have a random screensaver with some images or left it white (no screensaver, like off) even enterely black..

So, what's your opinion?
maxwellsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:10 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwellsilver View Post
I heard about problems with e-ink screens when you left a picture long time on it, they said you could have "dead pixels". It's pretty when you open the cover and see an image you like, like the book's cover you're reading and sony have screensaver option on standby, that's cool... but what I really want is to protect my e-reader, to extend his life, and I don't know if it's better to have a random screensaver with some images or left it white (no screensaver, like off) even enterely black..

So, what's your opinion?
I haven't heard of any such problems with eInk screens, an I think I would have done if there were any reliable reports.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:47 AM   #3
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Anecdotal evidence again... can you give us an example of "they" and a claim... never come across this problem with e-ink, was a problem with CRT and early LCD screens...

When you put an image on an e-ink screen, power is applied to turn relevant pixels clear (white) or black as appropriate and that's it... no power involved after that until you change a picture/text... the image stays until changed or wiped even if the unit fully discharges but as soon as power is applied for a new image/text then the screen changes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwellsilver View Post

So, what's your opinion?
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:23 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

I've noticed that both my 350 and 950 will turn themselves completely off (as opposed to sleep mode) if left unattended for a few days. This results in the screen being blanked. In other words, the screen image disappears and the screen is all clear (no black). So even if the screen image could burn into the screen, which it cannot, the unit wouldn't keep the image turned on long enough to do any harm.

Last edited by jswinden; 01-26-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:34 PM   #5
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Burn-in makes no sense. As noted above, the pigments are separated by a voltage field and then left alone until the next change is needed. All-white should be no different than all-black. Well, I could imagine one of the two pigments is subject to more UV fading under sunlight if left exposed to the sun for years but that seems a remote concern.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:56 AM   #6
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I've noticed that both my 350 and 950 will turn themselves completely off (as opposed to sleep mode) if left unattended for a few days. This results in the screen being blanked. In other words, the screen image disappears and the screen is all clear (no black). So even if the screen image could burn into the screen, which it cannot, the unit wouldn't keep the image turned on long enough to do any harm.
You can turn off Power Management and prevent the unit from turning off. Some people (me included) have had an issue with the unit turning itself off, and not being able to access DRM protected content. I was able to clear the issue with a power off and power on (manually), but I lost my bookmarks.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:58 AM   #7
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
I do not believe there is an issue with burn in. AT ALL.

But if worried, turn off the screen saver, or have multiple pictures in the rotation, so every time you put the unit to sleep, it has a different picture up.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
images, protect, screen, screensaver, standby