Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 02-10-2011, 09:58 PM   #1
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle, pocket pro
any new firmware for pocket pro?

Astak official one ? hacked one with coolreader?

links? thx
oncdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:53 PM   #2
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewt...=599456#599456

These are the latest coolreader firmware
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2011, 05:14 PM   #3
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
the font changing in the "bookshelf is still broken btw.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:00 PM   #4
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
I don't think we'll see another Astak firmware for the Pocket Pro. Last one was in April 2010, and given lack of units/sales since AFAIK early September 2010....I think it is a dropped product.

Actually (sorry for opening old wounds) but I have this feeling that Astak might not be coming back into the ereader market.

- Their ebookstore used to have a link to go and buy an EZ Reader, no longer there.
- CES 2011 the ebookstore had (and photos on facebook support this) ereaders displayed, yet absolutely no mention what-so-ever from anyone about new ereaders being released. Surely if they were Astak ereaders at CES due to come out this year they would have jumped on the media band wagon and told the world. This leads me to believe they were just generic display models for showing ebooks, and not advertising ereaders.
- Lack of any firmware updates since April (July I think for the Plus).
- Being "out of stock" since Sept 2010. Since then every manufacturer have not only continued to sell their existing line but even brought out 1/2/3 new models. (every is a strong word, but you get my drift - majority of market competitors).

Anyway I love my Kindle, just sad that there is very little on the market for good solid 5" readers (especially ones that run coolreader)
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:02 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
You might wish to look at the PocketBook 360. This is a GREAT ebook Reader.

I find lately that I've been using this more than my Kindle 3, which is somewhat perplexing to me.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2011, 07:09 AM   #6
aegeus
Enthusiast
aegeus began at the beginning.

Device: EZReader 5
There's a new version of CoolReader engine here: http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewt...asc&start=5860
aegeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:47 AM   #7
nimblem
Addict
nimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the rough

Device: Pocket Pro, Kindle Dx
Jennifer.... did you die? Are you still around? People have been asking questions regarding the product you represent. It might be a good idea to respond, so that the feeling of abandonment by the company will not continue to deepen
nimblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:12 AM   #8
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Meh I think we've been abandoned. Even my question on another thread of basically "what happened to www.ezread.com.au?" has been left in silence.

It is sad...but time to move on.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:00 PM   #9
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Astak's webpage shows a 2009 copyright date - don't companies usually update them yearly? Not to mention the fact that the ereaders are not shown in their product line listing.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:52 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
Astak's webpage shows a 2009 copyright date - don't companies usually update them yearly? Not to mention the fact that the ereaders are not shown in their product line listing.
My guess is that Astak has 'bailed out' of a marketplace that got caught up in cut throat pricing that they could not hope to even come close in meeting.

Some blame may be placed upon their manufacturer not even coming close to a cost reduction solution.
Tis a shame.
IMHO the V5 un-powered RealTimeClock was the only major annoyance that got me upset (Power-off/reset and you had to reset the clock/Cal )
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:54 AM   #11
bbqncigars
PDA dino
bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, Rooted NC, Voyages(2)
It's a shame, really. The PEz is such a reader-friendly device. I'll be very sad when I'm forced to move all my books to another gadget. RIP Astak.
bbqncigars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:18 PM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqncigars View Post
It's a shame, really. The PEz is such a reader-friendly device. I'll be very sad when I'm forced to move all my books to another gadget. RIP Astak.
So long as the lBook version continues to be updated I would see no reason to worry. The firmware is interchangeable. Of course the existing version works well and likely will for years to come.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:59 AM   #13
Solicitous
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
So long as the lBook version continues to be updated I would see no reason to worry. The firmware is interchangeable. Of course the existing version works well and likely will for years to come.

Dale
And speaking of which, new LBook firmware released 9th March. Yet to check it out and unfortunately no list of improvements.

Edit. I just installed it. Thus far all I have noticed is;

- Default language is I presume Russian (not English anyway - easy change).
- The BookShelf looks different, greyish background.
- CoolReader is blistering fast compared to the June release.
- No TTS (not listed anyway, it might appear when reading in ADE if I plug in headphones).

Last edited by Solicitous; 03-15-2011 at 08:36 AM.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:00 AM   #14
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
if its the latest coolreader it would also have toc support for epubs I am quite happy with buggins coolreader firmware on my v3 specially with the screen needing full refresh every 6 turns makes page refreshes a lot faster
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:43 PM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Just upgraded to latest Lbook firmware and can confirm Epub TOC is finally working! I haven't started my Pocket Pro in months and it says it has a full battery...not sure if I trust that but after using a pearl screen everything looks so washed out. Still it great to finally be able to use Epubs with a TOC!

It seems slower then I remember and less responsive then 6/22.
It could be the battery though. I don't trust that gauge. I am use my fast reacting Kindle 3.

With all time I spent waiting at the doctors I should take this with me instead of twiddling my thumbs. My Kindle stays at home where it is safe but this I have no problem traveling with. If someone takes it or I lose it I'd be upset but I wouldn't be heartbroken.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote