Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 01-18-2010, 08:58 AM   #1
Kilarney
Connoisseur
Kilarney doesn't litterKilarney doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Jumping between e-reader and audiobook?

I'd like to be able to read an ebook on my e-reader, and also listen to the book on my iPod while I'm at the gym or on the road. Is there any way to coordinate between the two so that they each pick up where the other left off?

I'm thinking that the answer is no, which is too bad. Surely I'm not the only person who would like to do this. I suppose I could use the audio feature on the Kindle, but that's not too practical for the gym.

Any ideas?
Kilarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:12 AM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
No way that I know of. I listen to a book on my iPod, and read another book on the 505. Not much different from reading two books. The legendary TTS feature would have fixed it by reading aloud from the Kindle.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:10 AM   #3
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Just get a small bag for the Kindle to carry it with you. I take my Kindle to the gym all the time.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:28 AM   #4
Kilarney
Connoisseur
Kilarney doesn't litterKilarney doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
I'd have to trade in my Sony Reader for a Kindle. ;-)
Kilarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:11 PM   #5
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi Kilarney

Concerning your question, the answer is no.

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:44 PM   #6
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
I don't think it could be done generically, but possibly for specific formats. Both ebook & audiobook format would need to support random access using a standardized fine-grain 'bookmark'. Maybe random access by word count? Difficult-and particularly so when dealing with so many different formats (even without considering DRM). I think it could be done, but doubt that it will be until, possibly, after the market settles on a standard format.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote