Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Mobile Sites

Notices

Old 07-22-2003, 08:22 AM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
NYTimes - New way to login!!

Alex described how to use cookies for logging in to NYT. Some people had the problem that the cookies expired occasionally.

I found another way to login to NYT which always works :

http://www.nytimes.com/auth/login?is_continue=true&OQ=&USERID=<username>&PASSWORD=<pwd>&log=Log+In&SAVEOPTION=YES&URI=<urltoarticle>

<username> = your login username
<pass> = your login password
<urltoarticle> = the actual url to the nyt article or page that you want to download with isilox and that requires registration

Note that you don't have to fuss about cookies this way.

Updated: Url now working!
Updated again: Url *really* now working!

Enjoy!

Last edited by TadW; 07-23-2003 at 08:26 AM.
Old 07-22-2003, 01:36 PM   #2
JSRunnels
Enthusiast
JSRunnels has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Samsung SPHI-300
Sounds great. Anyone know the "actual URL" for the Avantgo pages....

All the ones that I have tried don't seem to work...
Advert
Old 07-22-2003, 09:25 PM   #3
archituz
Connoisseur
archituz doesn't litterarchituz doesn't litter

I tried your login. I may be using it incorrectly because I didn't get the desired result.

The login got me to the "Regsiter at NYTimes.com" page and didn't auto-sign me in. I then signed in on the page using my username and password and pluggged in your login again. I then got the opening NYTimes page-- not the specific page I entered under <urltoarticle>.

Additionally the page was not in an Palm/iSilo friendly format.

Please clarify. What am I doing wrong?

Marty
Old 07-23-2003, 03:15 AM   #4
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally posted by JSRunnels
Sounds great. Anyone know the "actual URL" for the Avantgo pages....

All the ones that I have tried don't seem to work...
The Avantgo pages are disabled by NYTimes for all non-Avantgo users. They do this on server-level, so there is no way to get around it (unless you want to hack NYT).

Quote:
Originally posted by archituz
I tried your login. I may be using it incorrectly because I didn't get the desired result.

The login got me to the "Regsiter at NYTimes.com" page and didn't auto-sign me in. I then signed in on the page using my username and password and pluggged in your login again. I then got the opening NYTimes page-- not the specific page I entered under <urltoarticle>.

Additionally the page was not in an Palm/iSilo friendly format.

Please clarify. What am I doing wrong?

Marty
Please try the login url from my first post again (this board software somehow converted it the wrong way). Notice that the urltoarticle is not going to be in Palm-friendly format. But with some tweaks in the iSiloX settings you can also read non-Palm-friendly pages on NYT. Have a look here.
Tad

Last edited by TadW; 07-23-2003 at 11:29 AM.
Old 07-23-2003, 06:58 AM   #5
archituz
Connoisseur

I tried the revised url in your first post with this NYTimes page URL:
http://www.nytimes.com/pages/arts/te...tml/index.html

I again got the NYTimes opening page.

Marty
Advert
Old 07-23-2003, 08:28 AM   #6
TadW
Uebermensch

Quote:
Originally posted by archituz
I tried the revised url in your first post with this NYTimes page URL:
http://www.nytimes.com/pages/arts/te...tml/index.html

I again got the NYTimes opening page.

Marty
Sorry about that Please try again, this time it really works!
Old 07-23-2003, 10:43 AM   #7
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Device: Palm Tungsten T|T3
Quote:
Originally posted by TadW
<snipped!>

Have a look here.

Tad

Um, that's like a thread Alex posted about some nightlife site called Defog.

??
Old 07-23-2003, 11:29 AM   #8
TadW
Uebermensch

Sorry I fixed that. Instead of threadid 8 it should have been threadid 81 (something got cut off).
Old 07-24-2003, 08:14 PM   #9
chunlin66
Enthusiast
chunlin66 knows what time it ischunlin66 knows what time it ischunlin66 knows what time it ischunlin66 knows what time it ischunlin66 knows what time it ischunlin66 knows what time it ischunlin66 knows what time it ischunlin66 knows what time it ischunlin66 knows what time it ischunlin66 knows what time it ischunlin66 knows what time it is

Device: Clie NX60
This method doesn't work when trying to access the articles on the Circuits page (http://www.nytimes.com/pages/technol...its/index.html). Is there a way that it can work for me? I only want the articles on the Circuits page.
Old 07-28-2003, 03:56 AM   #10
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally posted by chunlin66
This method doesn't work when trying to access the articles on the Circuits page (http://www.nytimes.com/pages/technol...its/index.html). Is there a way that it can work for me? I only want the articles on the Circuits page.
I tried it and it seems to work fine with Tad's method. Make sure you have cookies receive/send enabled in the iSiloX cookies tab. Also, if you want to have iSiloX only parse the content from the technology page, make sure you use the correct inclusion/exclusion filters. Also make sure you set the tables/margins right if you don't want to scroll horizontally on your pda screen. You can get some examples for NYT here.

I can help you with that if you don't know how to set the filters.
Old 07-28-2003, 09:02 AM   #11
Harpgliss
Member Retired
Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.

Device: TH55
Just wanted to know if anyone has used this method to convert the text version?

Here is the url : http://www.nytimes.com/ref/membercen...xtversion.html

If anyone has got this to work,would you please let me know?

David
Old 07-28-2003, 10:33 PM   #12
chunlin66
Enthusiast
chunlin66 knows what time it ischunlin66 knows what time it ischunlin66 knows what time it ischunlin66 knows what time it ischunlin66 knows what time it ischunlin66 knows what time it ischunlin66 knows what time it ischunlin66 knows what time it ischunlin66 knows what time it ischunlin66 knows what time it ischunlin66 knows what time it is

OK, it still doesn't work. Is this URL correct?
http://www.nytimes.com/auth/login?is...its/index.html
My username is chunlin66 and my password is yunliz, so is that correct? If it is, then it must be my settings. I have four cookies listed, and sending and receiving cookies is enabled. 1 link depth, no special options with that.

Help!
Old 07-31-2003, 05:29 PM   #13
chunlin66
Enthusiast

Anybody?
Old 08-01-2003, 07:25 AM   #14
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
It worked for me. I will make an ixl file for you tomorrow.

Greets!
Old 08-01-2003, 10:31 AM   #15
archituz
Connoisseur

Thank you Alex.
Looks like we will have iSilo access to the NYTimes again!

I assume you are preparing a method to prepare separate ixl files for each NYT page we choose (Circuits, National, Technology, Business, Arts, Metro, OpEd, Magazine, etc)-- each customized for iSilo format.

Marty