tanyeun
tanyeun began at the beginning.

Device: none
how to customize viewer for calibre

hi guys,

I don't really like the default viewer for calibre
part of the reason is that I use Gnome not KDE I guess
I prefer using evince as my default pdf reader

can I customize specific viewer for specific format?

thx,

David
tanyeun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:19 PM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
If you go to preferences>user interface it lets you pick what file types to use the default viewer for
If you uncheck the box for epub for example, it will then use the default viewer you normally use when not in Calibre
The default type of file it views automatically (ie. epub, lit, lrf etc. ) is selected by your preferred input order on the general page
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2010, 09:36 PM   #3
tanyeun

thx for the reply

I unchecked .pdf
calibre choose to open pdf using xpdf
which is not I normally used

any ideas?

David
Old 05-26-2010, 10:36 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyeun View Post
thx for the reply

I unchecked .pdf
calibre choose to open pdf using xpdf
which is not I normally used

any ideas?

David
I'm not familiar with Linux but once you unchecked Calibre as the viewer it is no longer Calibre's decision. Calibre did not choose to open the pdf using xpdf, your system chose that.

Maybe someone viewing this can tell you how to associate a file type with a program in your version of Linux or you can go to a Linux forum for that info.

This or this might answer your need.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 05-26-2010 at 10:41 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:53 PM   #5
tanyeun

I see

it's really odd that my default viewer open with both nautilus and thunar
are different from that of calibre

anyone use calibre in Linux?
Advert
Old 05-27-2010, 03:24 AM   #6
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I don't do Linux either but this might help
http://linuxfud.wordpress.com/2006/0...-associations/
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:08 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I don't do Linux either but this might help
http://linuxfud.wordpress.com/2006/0...-associations/
Same site I linked to. I guess it didn't help.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:59 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyeun View Post
I see

it's really odd that my default viewer open with both nautilus and thunar
are different from that of calibre

anyone use calibre in Linux?
ODD is a good word to use.

I have Calibre beta running on Lucid Lynx 32bit

Calibre displays an Adobe Reader (tm) Icon in the Meta data viewer.

Adobe-Reader is NOT installed on this box (although, ADE is, under WINE)
Document viewer is my default for PDF and is what launches for PDF documents inside and out of Calibre beta.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:59 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
File associations under linux are an almighty mess. calibre uses the openUrl function from Qt which IIRC uses the xdg-open call to open files. You can test it by running

xdg-open filename.pdf

in a teminal
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 03:06 AM   #10
tanyeun

thx for the reply Kovid
your program is indeed very cool

I finally solved the issue via everyone's help

as expected
$ xdg-open file1.pdf