Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Other Books

Notices

Old 07-18-2009, 08:55 PM   #1
tobor
tobor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Sterne, Laurence: Tristram Shandy Volume 3. PDF. 18 July 2009

OK, this is getting kind of tricky.

Pages 36-55 are printed two per PDF page. These pages contain a curse, (an anathema or excommunication) in Latin on the even pages, and Dr. Slop's translation and Tristram's narration on the odd pages. In the original book you would see both as you opened to these pages, the Latin on the left leaf and English on the right leaf. I am trying to be true to the original. These pages look OK on my Kindle DX. On the DX you have to turn off the autorotation and turn the reader sideways for these pages.

For other ebook devices, I don't know how it will look. One guy wrote me and said the pages were too small. I am sorry I lost your missive so I can not write back to ask you what you meant.

So, as far as being true to the original printing, for example, when Tristram talks about the two meanings of the word Crevice, one clean and one dirty, on page 52 of Volume 2, you can go look on that page in that volume and see what he is talking about. Yay.

Page 169-170 have "marbled" pages that I got from Wikimedia Commons and then modified under GIMP to increase the contrast so it would show up better on the reader. Not that great but it gives the idea. The marbling of pages back in 1761 was a unique thing. No two books would have had the same pattern.

I have also modified one word of the text on page 159 " . . . indissolubly wanted . . ." versus " . . . indissolubly wasted . . .". The latter was in the original printing, and in the Gutenberg version, and in other versions available on the net, but it just doesn't make sense to me given the context of the word and the text on the previous pages. You know, I sometimes think that nobody reads this book.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TristramShandyVol3.pdf (959.7 KB, 797 views)

Last edited by tobor; 07-18-2009 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Forgot to attach book
tobor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:42 AM   #2
forcheville
Zealot
forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs650, Boox M92, Samsung Slate 7
Looks brilliant on Sony PRS-505. Just tip the page sideways. Thanks again, Tobor
forcheville is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert