Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-20-2009, 06:30 AM   #31
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Edit.

Last edited by dadioflex; 12-16-2010 at 04:10 AM.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:37 AM   #32
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadioflex View Post
But Harry, is it "right" that someone who cracks a DRM scheme could be sharing a cell with a pedophile?
Or even worse, the CEO of a bank!
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2009, 07:18 AM   #33
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Or even worse, the CEO of a bank!
LOL ... pedophiles will be no problem if you're over 18, but bankers will get your last saved money
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:29 AM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadioflex View Post
But Harry, is it "right" that someone who cracks a DRM scheme could be sharing a cell with a pedophile?
Please don't misunderstand me - I don't personally give two hoots about the legality or otherwise of DRM removal; in fact, I think it's ridiculous that it should be illegal to remove the DRM from something that you've perfectly legally bought. As I've just said in another thread, what I object to as a point of principle about tools like this is that they send out completely the wrong message about DRM.

I think we are all agreed that we'd like to see publishers sell DRM-free books, right? Tools like this will do the opposite - they will only encourage people to buy from publishers who use DRM, and give them the idea that what they are doing is some sort of "success". What we should be doing is entirely the opposite - NOT buy from publishers who use DRM, but from those who don't use it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:09 AM   #35
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
@Alex and all other moderators: As so often before, you and your moderator colleagues should try to not turn this platform into a support forum for DRM cracking. You did a great job in the mobidedrm discussions before, so please stick to the policies you established there (discussion is fine, advise how to use tools should be restricted).

In this context, please have a look at this post. IMO this posting goes far beyond the pale and should be edited in some way...
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2009, 08:12 AM   #36
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I think we are all agreed that we'd like to see publishers sell DRM-free books, right?
Not necessarily. I think many people here dislike DRM because it limits the use of the files they purchase. If there were a form of DRM that guaranteed I'd be able to read the books I buy indefinitely into the future and on any device I purchase then I would be perfectly happy to buy books with that DRM. So if it were legal to distribute these DRM removal tools then DRM wouldn't be an issue and I wouldn't care if all ebooks came with DRM. I guess what I am trying to say is that DRM is not necessarily a problem as long as people are free to find ways to remove it and thus have full access to the content they buy.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:19 AM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
From another point of view:

There are so many wonderful books by out of copyright authors that are free.

And, don't forget.........you can download and read your library books.
This is true. But some of the books I follow are not available for free or from Overdrive. So the only way to get them in eBook form is the get the DRM infected editions.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:34 AM   #38
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Thomas- View Post
In this context, please have a look at this post. IMO this posting goes far beyond the pale and should be edited in some way...
Thomas, thanks for the pointer! We removed the questionable parts.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:47 AM   #39
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphany View Post
Not necessarily. I think many people here dislike DRM because it limits the use of the files they purchase. If there were a form of DRM that guaranteed I'd be able to read the books I buy indefinitely into the future and on any device I purchase then I would be perfectly happy to buy books with that DRM. So if it were legal to distribute these DRM removal tools then DRM wouldn't be an issue and I wouldn't care if all ebooks came with DRM. I guess what I am trying to say is that DRM is not necessarily a problem as long as people are free to find ways to remove it and thus have full access to the content they buy.
Certainly no DRM makes it the easiest method for ensuring future readibility, but I agree with your sentiments. I don't really care about the DRM as long as it doesn't limit me to the type of device I read on and the number of devices I use. I always liked the ereader drm for this reason. Plug in your name and credit card number and you're set. Unfortunately there are not versions of that software for the current crop of ereaders.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:07 PM   #40
CTH
Zealot
CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The problem with ALL DRM is that it only affects those that has paid for the product, those who download it has already stripped the DRM long time ago... I suspect that the only way to get DRM free products is to break all DRM so that there is no point in selling products with DRM...
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:19 PM   #41
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTH View Post
The problem with ALL DRM is that it only affects those that has paid for the product, those who download it has already stripped the DRM long time ago... I suspect that the only way to get DRM free products is to break all DRM so that there is no point in selling products with DRM...
The problem is if your ebook provider gets bancrupt you can throw away all your bought ebooks ...
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:34 PM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When Amazon decided to stop supporting eBooks (before the Kindle) they really pissed off a lot of people who ended up losing a lot of eBooks because of DRM. The worst were the ones in PDF.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:51 PM   #43
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Thomas- View Post
@Alex and all other moderators: As so often before, you and your moderator colleagues should try to not turn this platform into a support forum for DRM cracking. You did a great job in the mobidedrm discussions before, so please stick to the policies you established there (discussion is fine, advise how to use tools should be restricted).

I'm gonna have to take the other stance here. While I don't think the News and Commentary section is the right place, I think that providing at least ONE part of the forum to the discussion of how the various DRM methods work and how to crack them IS appropriate. DRM is a scourge on the widespread acceptance of ebooks and DRM-cracking tools have a valid place here.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 03:00 PM   #44
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Tools like this will do the opposite - they will only encourage people to buy from publishers who use DRM, and give them the idea that what they are doing is some sort of "success". What we should be doing is entirely the opposite - NOT buy from publishers who use DRM, but from those who don't use it.
I disagree. If DRM is not cracked publishers are going to have no incentive to stop using it. DRM, if it works, is an excellent way for publishers to extract more money from content. If DRM worked, all publishers would use it. It's only because DRM is regularly cracked that publishers eventually realize that DRM doesn't work and stop using it. Just look at the trajectory the music industry followed.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 03:50 PM   #45
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
I'm gonna have to take the other stance here. While I don't think the News and Commentary section is the right place, I think that providing at least ONE part of the forum to the discussion of how the various DRM methods work and how to crack them IS appropriate. DRM is a scourge on the widespread acceptance of ebooks and DRM-cracking tools have a valid place here.

Derek
Politically speaking, I like the way you are thinking. Sadly, the DMCA makes it a felony to provide DRM-cracking tools to someone else, to tell someone where to get such tools, or to tell them how to use the tools. That means that the forum you're suggesting is highly likely to run afoul of DMCA problems. And that would be a bad thing to expose our hosts to.

Xenophon

P.S. I think that the DMCA provision are obviously unconstitutional, but the American judicial system appears to disagree with me. Whadda they know, anyway.
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote