Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 10-09-2012, 03:43 PM   #1
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
Google 2 step verification process & the Vox

So far I haven't used google's 2 step verification process, but now that I find myself unable to sign in to Youtube on the iPad, it looks like the only way to make that process work is to enable this feature in my Google account. However, I don't want this to cause any problems accessing my Google account through the Vox.

I am wondering if anyone here is using the 2 step verification process and how that works with the Vox. Does one have to install Google's Authentication app on the Vox?

P.S. After reading all of the Google support info, it's starting to look like it would be easier if I just created another YouTube account that isn't linked to my other google account, if it's even possible to do that. All I want to do is be able to save some Youtube favorites and subscriptions on the iPad Youtube app. I know I can do that with my Vox, but, quite frankly, Youtube usually works better on my iPad. It just tends to flow more smoothly.

Edited to add that I just tried signing into my YouTube account through the safari browser on the iPad and that worked. I can also watch videos through the browser, so this is less complicated than switching to the 2 step verification process. However, security experts do seem to be recommending the switch, so I would still like some feedback on how this would work with the Vox.

Last edited by 49Kat; 10-09-2012 at 04:18 PM. Reason: more info
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:50 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I think that even with 2 step login you can create an Application specific password; see http://support.google.com/accounts/b...&page=guide.cs
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2012, 06:38 PM   #3
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Peter.

I am wondering if any Vox users have changed over to this, and if so, what happened with the Vox and its ability to access Google Play, for example, or Gmail. I seem to remember with the last update having to access my google account through the device's settings which gave it access on a global level, which the 'application specific password' doesn't seem to apply to. I guess I am wondering how Google would treat the Vox if one changed over to the 2 step verification. Would it be treated as a 'tablet' or a phone?

Well, I'll keep looking to see if I can find more information on this.

I see one can turn the 2 step verification off if you find you have difficulty accessing some things afterward.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:05 PM   #4
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
I use 2-step auth (I really recommend it to anyone who is able, it is far more secure) and it's quite simple to manage. After switching over to 2-step authentication your Kobo will no longer connect to any Google-based services. All you have to do to reconnect your Kobo to your google account is to create an application specific password from your 2-step authentication settings (see the link that Peter posted) and enter that on your Kobo (go to settings > accounts > Google on your Vox).

It's really quite easy.
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:58 PM   #5
49Kat
Fanatic

Thanks, Jeff.
Advert