Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 05-27-2012, 05:22 AM   #16
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
It wouldn't work since the cover tag is automatically applied only when there is exactly 1 image in the file.

But this won't be a problem anymore in the next release.
Meme:

You mean--if we're on the same page here (yuk...I can never resist bad puns) that even if he has an empty file/chapter in front of the one containing the image, that the one containing the image will be semantically marked cover, regardless?

Then I defer to Ducky's suggestion-add a transparent image, or add something--a colophon, whatever--to the "not-cover" page, and force the issue that way.

I did not realize, all this way down the road, that you lads had added this, um..."functionality." I confess--I don't much like it. Really, if someone's too dumb to mark their cover, isn't that their problem? Are we starting to bob for Apples here, dumbing down the program? WHY does it do this, and what was the purpose? I mean--what was the thinking behind this, other than some view that we have to protect those who don't learn how to make their books properly, if I may ask?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:35 AM   #17
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
If you add a blank file as the first file then it will not be marked as Cover (it was checking only the first file and only if it had 1 image would it get marked as Cover), at least from a quick test.

The functionality was there long before I arrived, and probably just left there because no one mentioned it. I'm sure it was added then in order to try to be helpful. But as of the next release it should be gone as user_none removed it.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2012, 10:01 AM   #18
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Let Flightcrew Complain or Warn

Isn't that Flightcrew's job?
Complain (red) if a required item is missing (or wrong syntax)
and whine if traditional items are missing or extra items are found?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:57 PM   #19
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
If you add a blank file as the first file then it will not be marked as Cover (it was checking only the first file and only if it had 1 image would it get marked as Cover), at least from a quick test.

The functionality was there long before I arrived, and probably just left there because no one mentioned it. I'm sure it was added then in order to try to be helpful. But as of the next release it should be gone as user_none removed it.
Okay--I'm officially confused; didn't you tell me a blank file as the first file wouldn't work, and are you now telling me it would? I admit I'm simply curious here...

Hitch
Old 05-28-2012, 02:02 AM   #20
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Okay--I'm officially confused; didn't you tell me a blank file as the first file wouldn't work, and are you now telling me it would? I admit I'm simply curious here...
Sort of. I thought you said something different so I said it would'nt work, but as per my test and my earlier post, a blank first file should work.

Last edited by meme; 05-28-2012 at 03:59 AM. Reason: wouldn't not would
Advert
Old 05-28-2012, 03:23 AM   #21
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

meme:

Maybe it was how I said it? I think I said sticking in something like an empty para in the "blank file," because per most ePUB renderers, the empty para, without anything stylistic (i.e., always-break-after/before) shouldn't affect how the ePUB was rendered to the end viewer. I do not know, though (thinking....) what would happen in KG 2.4. Well, a warning for sure (no cover embedded)...and I think KG would ignore the empty para, as it should...and without a page-break-before/after, it should (famous last words) work correctly.

Ah--a thought; you'd need a slightly differently styled first chapter head or first title (e.g., Epigraph or Dedication or Title whatever that second page with the graphic that is NOT a cover is), because if one used consistently styled headers throughout, with CSS implementing, page-break-before, you'd want to dupe that style and eliminate that one call for the first header AFTER the blank page...yes, I think that would work across ePUB readers in general and in KG. I think.

Hitch (who, clearly, needs to take actual time off on days off, instead of muttering around HERE!)
Old 05-30-2012, 12:55 PM   #22
tmyke70
tmyke70 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Thanks for the help and the insight everyone, we've already figured out the editing of the content.opf file, its just adding about 15-20 seconds extra time to the process. You're probably saying OOOHH 15-20 seconds, but it adds up when you are converting hundreds of books.

Meme, are you saying it should only happen if the first .xhtml file has one and only one image in it?

If its getting fixed in the next release, we should be able to wait and continue doing what you are doing.

Thanks!
tmyke70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:07 PM   #23
meme
Sigil developer

Yes, it should only happen if the first Text file has one and only one image in it.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:10 PM   #24
tmyke70
tmyke70 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Got it, thank you!
tmyke70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
old version, semantics, sigil