Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 05-26-2012, 11:45 AM   #1
birdfan101
birdfan101 began at the beginning.

Device: eBook on Andriod tablet
Question Add chapters before?

I know that you can add chapters AFTER the ones you already have, but can you place the newly added chapters BEFORE the list of chapters?
For instance, if you have Chapters 2 and 3 already, can you insert a chapter 1 and place it BEFORE chapter 2?
How about a table of contents section? Can you add it and place it before all the chapters in the book?

I'm using Sigil 0.3.4 on SuSE Linux 11.4 64 bit, and the loaded Qt is 4.7.1
birdfan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:29 PM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
You can reorder sections by drag and drop. Click and hold then drag it to where you want it to be.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2012, 02:14 PM   #3
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
You don't need a special ToC. The toc.ncx is used for that on most readers. Just make sure it is up to date. Usually this is done by the generate button bottom right.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:17 PM   #4
birdfan101

Unhappy

Thanks for your answers.
I am attaching a screenshot of my problem. The screenshot is just of a demo of my problem.
I don't seem to have a "generate" button anywhere.
As you can see, when I dragged and dropped the page order from the left pane, the dragged page disappears and I cannot get at it anymore.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sigilorderingmessedup.jpeg
Views:	223
Size:	230.7 KB
ID:	86967  
Old 05-27-2012, 01:21 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You don't have the TOC editor Open
The button is there
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2012, 02:06 PM   #6
birdfan101

Here's a screenshot of my TOC editor. There does not seem to be a button to generate the TOC.

After trying out the drag and drop, I saved the experimental project but the changes did not seem to "take" The order was not rearranged the way I wanted it.

Anyway, the place that I found the Sigil package (for SuSE 11.4) was here: http://software.opensuse.org/package...rch_term=sigil and I had to click on "Show unstable packages" and I used the "one click install" option.

My other problem is that when I test my epub book in Okular (which can read such files) the book is blank, there's nothing there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sigiltoceditor.jpeg
Views:	228
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	86974  
Old 05-27-2012, 02:32 PM   #7
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
You are using an old version - newer versions including the latest 0.5.3 version show the Generate TOC button when you open the TOC window.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:23 PM   #8
Ahmad Samir
Zealot
Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
About the dragged files disappearing in the Book Browser panel, you're running under KDE4, this is a long standing bug in Sigil <-> KDE4; however there's a workaround that seems to work.

In a terminal emulator (e.g. Konsole), unset the QT_PLUGIN_PATH:
Code:
unset QT_PLUGIN_PATH
then launch Sigil (from the same terminal):
Code:
/opt/sigil/sigil.sh
or however you usually launch it. Now dragging/dropping files in the Book Browser should work as expected.

As an alternative, you can edit the content.opf file, reordering the entries in the <spine> section manually then saving/opening the file anew should do the trick (it's advisable to work on a copy of the file so that if anything goes south, you can reuse the original file).
Ahmad Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:23 PM   #9
birdfan101

I tried out what you said but it did not work, the problems I described are still there.
I even tried looking for a sigil.sh file, but there is none.
I've also tried looking for sigil's directory
Code:
 whereis sigil
and this is what I got:
Code:
 sigil: /usr/bin/sigil /usr/bin/X11/sigil
I've also tried:
Code:
 rpm -q sigil
and got:
Code:
 sigil-0.3.4-3.196.x86_64
I've also tried looking for any file with the extension .opf but nothing came up.

I'm beginning to wonder if I should uninstall sigil and if I should try installing the latest one from source but I'm concerned about whether I would have all the necessary dependencies or not. (That part drives me crazy).
Old 05-29-2012, 02:19 PM   #10
Ahmad Samir
Zealot
Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
Since you have an rpm, then I guess the binary is probably /usr/bin/sigil (/opt/sigil/sigil.sh is only relevant if you installed sigil using the .run package that can be downloaded from Sigil's web site). You can check by using 'rpm -ql sigil'.

FWIW, that vanishing-file-when-dragged affects all the versions of Sigil that I used (that includes the latest one, 0.5.3).

The .opf file is inside the epub, you can see it when you open the file in Sigil in the Book Browser panel, it's the file before last at the very bottom.

As for dependencies, I don't think Sigil has newer deps (and even if it does, running it from terminal will tell you which libraries you need to install).
Ahmad Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:08 PM   #11
birdfan101

I went to their website and found the downloads but I noticed that all the listed Linux ones said, "Depreciated". I wonder why would they do that?
This is the page: http://code.google.com/p/sigil/downl...+DownloadCount
Old 05-30-2012, 01:10 PM   #12
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Because binary versions of Sigil for Linux can no longer be provided - there were too many issues with the generic version. Instead, other volunteers have packaged Sigil for the various OS's and you can install one of those packages - or build it from source.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adding new chapters