Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-20-2012, 01:14 AM   #1
bounce
Zealot
bounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Ipad, Kindle 7
Search for specific title (Kindle Touch)

I see search my items, but that brings up all the instances of that word in all books, how do I narrow this down to title? I must be overlooking something very obvious in my search through the manual and menu, or this is a strange omission?
bounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:12 AM   #2
towhit523
towhit523 began at the beginning.

Device: nook, kindle, sony 600, ipad, iphone, droid
It isn't easy to figure out but I finally found it buried in some doc. This is what you need to do. To find a book by authors do the following.

1. Go to the home screen
2. Select menu and make sure your are sorting by titles
3. Right below the menu you should have Page 1 of # with # being the number of pages on your kindle. Select that area and it will bring up another menu.
4. That new menu will allow you to jump to any page within your range but will also let you enter the first few letters of a book title to get to that page.

You can do the same for authors by changing your sort to authors instead of titles.
towhit523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2012, 11:18 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by towhit523 View Post
It isn't easy to figure out but I finally found it buried in some doc.
"Some doc" was presumably the Kindle User Guide, where it's clearly explained.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:44 AM   #4
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
"Some doc" was presumably the Kindle User Guide, where it's clearly explained.
Whatever, it was not the answer to the question
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:46 AM   #5
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
I see search my items, but that brings up all the instances of that word in all books, how do I narrow this down to title? I must be overlooking something very obvious in my search through the manual and menu, or this is a strange omission?
I would hit the CS with that question.

I do not know anything about kindle touch but I would assume it is not different from other kindles in its searching misbehavior.
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2012, 02:52 AM   #6
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
Just confirmed towhits method works on My Touch
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:58 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by salsaguy View Post
Just confirmed towhits method works on My Touch
Of course it works. It's straight out of the User Guide!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:56 PM   #8
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle NT
But it's not search. It's just sorting and trying to guess in which place the book is. What if you know only partial title and not the first word? When you are in trouble. Search on kindles is terrible. I'd like to search only title and author - it would make it faster. I usually want to search only those fields never the book contents before even opening it (when I can use search in the book)

I want to hold most/all of my library on kindle so I can re read when I want or read any book I get the urge without needing to plug it in PC. This means a lot of books are searched and it takes a while. To look up a title/author... Seems easier to sort and go to author or title if you know it, instead of searching. I'd prefer a quick search to find a book.

Also try searching book contents for a word which has very common similar form and again you will fail. It not only finds partial matches, it even takes a way the letters/modifies the search word to give you a bunch of results you don't need (search for running and you will get results with run too, dreaming>dream...). I actually contacted amazon about that. Maybe they will consider changing it or adding the option to search only title/author and search for exact match not similar. I know what I am looking for, don't mess with me like that amazon

Last edited by Noughty; 03-04-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Noughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:16 PM   #9
bounce
Zealot
bounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Ipad, Kindle 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noughty View Post
But it's not search. It's just sorting and trying to guess in which place the book is. What if you know only partial title and not the first word? When you are in trouble. Search on kindles is terrible. I'd like to search only title and author - it would make it faster. I usually want to search only those fields never the book contents before even opening it (when I can use search in the book)

I want to hold most/all of my library on kindle so I can re read when I want or read any book I get the urge without needing to plug it in PC. This means a lot of books are searched and it takes a while. To look up a title/author... Seems easier to sort and go to author or title if you know it, instead of searching. I'd prefer a quick search to find a book.

Also try searching book contents for a word which has very common similar form and again you will fail. It not only finds partial matches, it even takes a way the letters/modifies the search word to give you a bunch of results you don't need (search for running and you will get results with run too, dreaming>dream...). I actually contacted amazon about that. Maybe they will consider changing it or adding the option to search only title/author and search for exact match not similar. I know what I am looking for, don't mess with me like that amazon
Yep. This.
bounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:17 AM   #10
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle NT
Still no solution to such a simple thing?
It seems common sense to search only title and author fields.
Noughty is offline   Reply With Quote