Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-17-2007, 09:11 AM   #1
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
"Print is Dead: Books in Our Digital Age" by Jeff Gomez

David Rothman, who does the E-book Report for Publishers Weekly, has a nice little commentary/mini-review of Print is Dead: Books in Our Digital Age by Jeff Gomez. Rothman calls it a Must-read for the New York publishing establishment.

About a third of the book is available online at printisdeadbook.com.

The book will be out from Palgrave Macmillan on November 13th.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:17 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Does it not strike you as a little ironic that a book called "Print is Dead" is being published as a, er, printed book?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2007, 09:18 AM   #3
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

I was just thinking about editing my post for that very comment!
Old 10-17-2007, 11:24 AM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Just goes to show that even the guys who get it, sometimes don't get it.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:56 AM   #5
davidrothman
Connoisseur
davidrothman began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite, $50 Fire, iPad Air 2, Nexus 6, Kobo Aura H2O
Hey, guys, remember, Jeff's book is appearing on Nov. 13--same day--in E rather than just P alone. What's more, if you want to reach the p-establishment, a P book won't hurt. That's no small reason why I'm writing the blog for PW. If folks want to drop by the E-book Report comment section to join me in realistically talking up E, that'll be great.

One forthcoming topic will be the frequently high prices of E books, such as the new Ken Follett novel, which so far I haven't found discounted as an e-book. $35. Yikes! It's actually much pricier than the p-version at Amazon. Will welcome your thoughts, which I might quote in PW.

Thanks,
David

P.S. I need to drop by the Macmillian site again and find out the lowdown on the exact formats Jeff's book will be available in.

David Rothman | teleread.org | PW E-Book Report
http://www.teleread.org/blog
http://publishersweekly.com/blog/760000476.html
davidrothman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2007, 12:01 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrothman View Post
Hey, guys, remember, Jeff's book is appearing on Nov. 13--same day--in E rather than just P alone.
It will? Excellent -- I stand happily corrected!

Thanks, David!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:31 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Nonsence to make the post long enough

Quote:
--The Sony-Amazon rivalry---in e-book gizmos and book offerings---might reach the U.K., where Sony may launch its new Reader at the London Book Fair next year. The Bookseller tells of rumors that Waterstone's, the British book chain, will sell the device. Meanwhile we hear that "Amazon will try and pip it to the post by rush-releasing its own rival device, the 'Kindle.'" Love that Britspeak. So will Kindle-format books show up soon on Amazon's U.K. site? (Via MobileRead.)
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:58 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrothman View Post
Hey, guys, remember, Jeff's book is appearing on Nov. 13--same day--in E rather than just P alone. What's more, if you want to reach the p-establishment, a P book won't hurt. That's no small reason why I'm writing the blog for PW. If folks want to drop by the E-book Report comment section to join me in realistically talking up E, that'll be great.

One forthcoming topic will be the frequently high prices of E books, such as the new Ken Follett novel, which so far I haven't found discounted as an e-book. $35. Yikes! It's actually much pricier than the p-version at Amazon. Will welcome your thoughts, which I might quote in PW.

Thanks,
David

P.S. I need to drop by the Macmillian site again and find out the lowdown on the exact formats Jeff's book will be available in.

David Rothman | teleread.org | PW E-Book Report
http://www.teleread.org/blog
http://publishersweekly.com/blog/760000476.html
Amazon is $20.99 but if you do not purchase anything else with it, you pay $3.99 shipping for a grand total of $24.98.

BooksOnBoard has it for $23.28 in MS Reader which you can then convert to BBeB for the Sony 500/505.

But once again, Mobipocket comes in dead last and as clueless as can be at $35.

All the other ebook shops I checked out (that have it) have higher prices then BooksOnBoard. So basically with shipping, you only save $1.70 from Amazon's price. That is sad. I would never pay that much for an ebook regardless. But I really do think ebook prices are TOO FRIGGING HIGH for some of these new "bestsellers".
Old 10-18-2007, 10:36 AM   #9
jasonkchapman
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
BooksOnBoard has it for $23.28 in MS Reader which you can then convert to BBeB for the Sony 500/505.
Frankly, if I were willing to pay $23.38 for it, I'd pay Sony's $28 price, even though I'd end up with DRM. I'm just lazy.

It's not likely to happen, though. I personally disliked Pillars of the Earth.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:37 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
Frankly, if I were willing to pay $23.38 for it, I'd pay Sony's $28 price, even though I'd end up with DRM. I'm just lazy.

Well, I'd go for the $23.38 should I be purchasing the ebook which I'm not. But then I'd remove the DRM, run lit2lrf on it and go from there. I'd be golden. With no much effort overall.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:23 PM   #11
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
...But then I'd remove the DRM, run lit2lrf on it and go from there...
Dude: Stop scaring the straights! Now you know why it's so high!!
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 12:25 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:

It's one of my all-time favourite books! It takes all sorts to make the world go round, as they say.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 12:41 PM   #13
jasonkchapman
Guru

Quote:
Well, I'd go for the $23.38 should I be purchasing the ebook which I'm not. But then I'd remove the DRM, run lit2lrf on it and go from there. I'd be golden. With no much effort overall.
No, I mean I'm lazy.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:35 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
No, I mean I'm lazy.
So I suppose you also want someone else to read it for you too.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:25 PM   #15
jasonkchapman
Guru

Quote:
So I suppose you also want someone else to read it for you too.
Gee, wouldja?