Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-28-2011, 02:38 AM   #1
oldcrow74
oldcrow74 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-700bc
Restarting Calibre

I've found another strange behavior. Closing and reopening Calibre doesn't actually restart it. The process is still running after closing, so the only way to restart it, other than rebooting, is to open Task Manager and kill the process. Is this normal? I'm running 0.8.7 under Windows 7.
oldcrow74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:57 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
How are you closing it? Usng the 'x' at the top right is not the recommended way - CTRL-Q is the way to do it.

Is Calibre set to show the icon in the Systray? If that is the case you can right-click the systray icon and select Quit and it should really close. You can change the systray icon visibility under Preferences->Interface->Look and Feel.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2011, 11:45 AM   #3
oldcrow74
oldcrow74 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-700bc
Closing the tray icon did the trick. It would be nice if all these dialogs telling us to restart Calibre would tell us to do that. Or some sort of warning when you click on the 'X'. And I've never heard of anyone using CTRL-Q to exit and I've been using Windows for a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
How are you closing it? Usng the 'x' at the top right is not the recommended way - CTRL-Q is the way to do it.

Is Calibre set to show the icon in the Systray? If that is the case you can right-click the systray icon and select Quit and it should really close. You can change the systray icon visibility under Preferences->Interface->Look and Feel.
oldcrow74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:53 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcrow74 View Post
Closing the tray icon did the trick. It would be nice if all these dialogs telling us to restart Calibre would tell us to do that. Or some sort of warning when you click on the 'X'. And I've never heard of anyone using CTRL-Q to exit and I've been using Windows for a long time.
Calibre is designed to be 'run in tray' so as to scheduled download news.
IIRC Run in Tray is off by default.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:00 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcrow74 View Post
And I've never heard of anyone using CTRL-Q to exit and I've been using Windows for a long time.
Right clicking on the system tray icon shows the shortcut for quitting is Ctrl-Q of course if you want to restart calibre Ctrl-R would restart calibre. For a list of other shortcuts check this section of the manual.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert