Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-20-2011, 03:07 PM   #1
Mercador
I'm not a number!
Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Screen reminiscence?

Hello,

I just got my kobo since yesterday but I was wondering if there's screen reminiscence ? When I closed the Kobo, I was getting the album art, so I thought that removing this option will allow to complete shutdown the Kobo. But no, I got a big black screen saying Powered Off... I wonder if it's gonna leave mark after a while...
Mercador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 03:23 PM   #2
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercador View Post
Hello,

I just got my kobo since yesterday but I was wondering if there's screen reminiscence ? When I closed the Kobo, I was getting the album art, so I thought that removing this option will allow to complete shutdown the Kobo. But no, I got a big black screen saying Powered Off... I wonder if it's gonna leave mark after a while...
No, screen burn-in is not possible with the e-ink technology used in the Touch. However, you can get temporary 'ghosting' where a faint image of a previous page can be detected but the 'ghost' will be eliminated after a page refresh.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2011, 03:51 PM   #3
Mercador
I'm not a number!
Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

But is a black screen will eat up more battery?
Old 07-20-2011, 04:04 PM   #4
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Quote:
But is a black screen will eat up more battery?
No, when the Touch is off it does not use any power. In any event, when the Touch is powered on, the power needed to display an all black or an all white screen is the same.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:50 PM   #5
Mercador
I'm not a number!

So it's like real ink finally?
Advert
Old 07-20-2011, 07:39 PM   #6
joshmosh
Enthusiast
joshmosh began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Quote:
E-Ink has always been real ink power is only used when the page is refreshing.
joshmosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:39 PM   #7
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Pretty close. Wikipedia has a nice diagram of how it works. The Kobo uses power either to change the ink on the screen (doesn't use power to maintain what's currently on there) or in the background monitoring for touches etc. when you have it turned on and for maintaining the volatile part of the memory (RAM) holding your currently open document/book while on or in sleep mode. When powered off it really takes virtually no power since it's waiting on the switch and it doesn't much (if any) to maintain the "permanent" memory (all your books and the Kobo firmware).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:11 PM   #8
TedJ
Groupie
TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmosh View Post
E-Ink has always been real ink power is only used when the page is refreshing.
Which is why the only useful metric for battery life is page turns, rather than measuring in dog months or whatever it is they use these days.
TedJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:00 PM   #9
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedJ View Post
Which is why the only useful metric for battery life is page turns, rather than measuring in dog months or whatever it is they use these days.
I heard it was cat months...
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:52 AM   #10
m_bisson
Groupie
m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.

Device: kobo touch :)
Generally my girlfriend tells me when it's that time of the month, then I plug it in to charge....
m_bisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:55 AM   #11
Mercador
I'm not a number!

Good to know then!

Also, I don't put the Kobo in Airplane mode but I don't have any network registered. Is the Kobo is always pinging for a network?
Old 07-21-2011, 12:01 PM   #12
m_bisson
Groupie
m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.

Device: kobo touch :)
It probably is. Airplane mode stops it from doing ANY network/wifi stuff.
m_bisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:51 PM   #13
Mercador
I'm not a number!

Ok, so I'll put on it. I hope I won't have the plane icon on my pages however...
Old 07-22-2011, 09:04 AM   #14
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Ok, so I'll put on it. I hope I won't have the plane icon on my pages however...
As you've probably found out by now, you don't. It'll just appear on system pages and on the top bar in books when you tap for the menu.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote