Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-19-2007, 12:22 AM   #1
pskopp
pskopp began at the beginning.

Device: Dell Axim
Tor/Forge/St. Martin's Press (Holtzbrinck)

On December 28, 2004, I entered a post stating that as far as I could tell Tor/Forge/St. Martin's Press (Holtzbrinck) had only released one ebook since May, 2004. Fictionwise released 59 of them today. All in secure Mobipocket only. The Fictionwise club price for Soarer's Choice by L.E. Modesitt after Micropay rebate is $16.63 U.S. The Fictionwise club price for The Assassin King by Elizabeth Haydon is $15.44 U.S. Both of these books are being released in paperback this month and are priced at Amazon at $7.99 U.S. Seems to me this is a "guaranteed to fail" approach to getting back into the ebook market. You would think they would try to reach as many consumers as possible to make as much money as they could. But no, DRM (or something) is obviously more important than money. Someone at Holtzbrinck undoubtedly got a huge bonus for this ridiculous ebook marketing approach.
pskopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 01:30 AM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Tor has 'issues' with security and pricing on ebooks - that's for sure. I notice that they didn't stay hooked up with Baen's Webscriptions all that long, the first go-around. Makes me suspicious that many Holtzbrinck employees are wandering around with bandages where their noses used to be.

Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by pskopp View Post
On December 28, 2004, I entered a post stating that as far as I could tell Tor/Forge/St. Martin's Press (Holtzbrinck) had only released one ebook since May, 2004. Fictionwise released 59 of them today. All in secure Mobipocket only. The Fictionwise club price for Soarer's Choice by L.E. Modesitt after Micropay rebate is $16.63 U.S. The Fictionwise club price for The Assassin King by Elizabeth Haydon is $15.44 U.S. Both of these books are being released in paperback this month and are priced at Amazon at $7.99 U.S. Seems to me this is a "guaranteed to fail" approach to getting back into the ebook market. You would think they would try to reach as many consumers as possible to make as much money as they could. But no, DRM (or something) is obviously more important than money. Someone at Holtzbrinck undoubtedly got a huge bonus for this ridiculous ebook marketing approach.
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2007, 09:46 AM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Makes me suspicious that many Holtzbrinck employees are wandering around with bandages where their noses used to be.
What a great way to put it, delphid96!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 04:46 PM   #4
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Hm. I wonder what this means for the Tor-Baen revival effort?
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 06:39 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pskopp View Post
Don't go by the club price. Turns out it's not really worth it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2007, 06:42 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What you can do however is once Soarer's Choice is released in paperback and the price on Fictionwise is still too high, email them and tell them. I did that once and it did get sorted.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:15 AM   #7
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Holtzbrinck will never succeed in the eBook market as long as they stick to hardcover prices for books that are in paperback. The market is showing that an eBook is worth less than a paperback, and needs to be priced accordingly.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:45 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
"Value" is very much a matter of individual perception. For me, an eBook is "worth" more than a paperback (because it doesn't use any of my valuable storage space), and I'd be happy to pay somewhat more if it was a book that I wanted.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 06:05 PM   #9
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
"Value" is very much a matter of individual perception. For me, an eBook is "worth" more than a paperback (because it doesn't use any of my valuable storage space), and I'd be happy to pay somewhat more if it was a book that I wanted.
While the above quote is definitely true on the individual level, for e-books to succeed you need mass acceptance of prices, and that's where I think the previous poster is right; until now e-content has very low mass value, indifferent of the value you assign to it as an individual.
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:29 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

One of the reasons I bought my Sony Reader was to be able to purchase ebooks at a lower price then pbooks. So, if these books are going to remain seriously overpriced, I for one will not be purchasing.