Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 07-02-2011, 08:11 PM   #1
RamZesS
RamZesS began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
When some <MetadataWriterPlugin> is used

Can somebody explain me when <MetadataWriterPlugin> is used, in which context or conversion process phase?
Is it possible for a user to call it from UI in order to apply current book metadata to the selected book format?

If I provide <MetadataReaderPlugin> for some book format should I develop the <MetadataWriterPlugin> as well?
(I looked up in the code, it looks like not all build-in book formats have both type of plugins)
RamZesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:43 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
writer plugins are used when ever a book is exported from the calibre library via save to disk/send to device/the content server.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2011, 11:50 AM   #3
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
The reader and writes are also used by some conversion plugins. Instead of duplicating code I often put the metadata stuff into the reader/writer class and use it in the conversion plugin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamZesS View Post
If I provide <MetadataReaderPlugin> for some book format should I develop the <MetadataWriterPlugin> as well?
(I looked up in the code, it looks like not all build-in book formats have both type of plugins)
You do not need to provide both. It's nice to have both but not aways feasible. As you noted not all formats have both.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote