Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-30-2011, 03:43 AM   #1
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
0.7.58 Mobi Font Size problem

I upgraded to the latest version. I started converting some books and got them onto my Kindle and notice the font is tiny! 12pt looks like 6pt on Mobipocket Reader, Kindle and Calibre's Viewer fonts are tiny not normal size.

I've tried different sources and formats html, lit, epub... but they all have a tiny font problem

I downgraded to 0.7.57 and the problem is fixed.

Anyone else having this problem?

OS is Vista 64

Last edited by Blossom; 04-30-2011 at 03:51 AM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 04:35 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Moderator Notice
Moved to correct forum.

It seems to me that this is a similar issue. If it is, it would seem to me to be a problem with MOBI output- I just converted a few files to ePub and everything was normal.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2011, 05:57 AM   #3
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I've just seen the same issue myself... now wondering how many dodgy conversions I have done in the last week (since I run from source)...
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:03 AM   #4
prot
prot began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
This happens for me too for epub->mobi.

If I inspect the document in in the reader I can see font-size x-small has been applied to paragraphs despite this not being present in the original epub.
prot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:10 AM   #5
kiwidude
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah it's definitely a bug that has been introduced in the last number of days. I'm sure Kovid will get on the case, given its severity I wouldn't be surprised to see a 0.7.59 release appear later today but obviously that is up to him...

I've raised it on the bug tracker here
Advert
Old 04-30-2011, 10:08 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Change the input profile in your conversion settings to default. Or redownload and re-install 0.7.58
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:37 AM   #7
kiwidude

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Change the input profile in your conversion settings to default.
Do you mean for the particular book conversion settings, go to Page Setup and select "Default Input Profile"? As it already was.
Quote:
Or redownload and re-install 0.7.58
I've tried that, including completely uninstall and reinstall. I've tried with the environment variable to run from source set and unset. No matter which combination, it's still broken?
Old 04-30-2011, 10:41 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you're running from latest source you should not see the problem, regardless of input profile. At least, I cannot replicate it. Post your conversion log and a file reproducing it, and I'll see if I can spot the gremlin.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:42 AM   #9
eothain
eothain began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Well, it happened to me again (Default Input Profile).

However, when I changed to "Default Output profile" - everything worked OK...
eothain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:43 AM   #10
prot
prot began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Ditto, I was already using the default, after updating I still see the wee fonts.

Don't know if it helps but inspecting a mobi shows that an input epub with;

p {font-size:1.0em;}
<p>Hello World.</p>

Converting to:

<p class="calibre_9"><font size="1">Hello World.</font></p>
prot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:00 AM   #11
kiwidude

I've emailed Kovid the source epub, the resulting mobi and the conversion log so I'm sure he'll tell us soon what we are all doing wrong
Old 04-30-2011, 11:23 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You aren't doing anything wrong. It was my mistake (this is what happens when I try to hot fix things late at night). I got the input and output profiles mixed up, as eohain found. I'll release 0.7.59 with the proper fix in a bit.

In the meantime, let me remind you that font sizes can be increased on your Kindles

EDIT: @eohain: After you upgrade to 0.7.59 remember to set your output profile back to kindle

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 04-30-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:04 PM   #13
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
You aren't doing anything wrong. It was my mistake (this is what happens when I try to hot fix things late at night). I got the input and output profiles mixed up, as eohain found. I'll release 0.7.59 with the proper fix in a bit.

In the meantime, let me remind you that font sizes can be increased on your Kindles
Wow that was fast! Thanks so much for fixing it Kovid!

Thanks to those who knew what to submit so the problem could be fixed. I was clueless on what to do.

While font size can be increased on the Kindle you only have 4 font sizes to choose from on Kindle for Android. It was microscopic on Size 4! I needed a magnifying glass

Thanks again and I'm off to upgrade!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:04 PM   #14
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
Stellar service as usual, Kovid. Thank you.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:01 PM   #15
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
...I'll release 0.7.59 with the proper fix in a bit...
Kovid,

I just did an ePub > MOBI conversion using 0.7.59 with the output profile set to Kindle and the results are fine. Thanks for the fast fix.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote