Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 03-06-2011, 02:37 PM   #1
emhornbee
emhornbee began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Obsolete?

Hi everybody!

I've had a Gen3 for a couple of years now (it was a present from my wife). It came preloaded with Mobipocket and the usual classics and demos and I gradually added titles from various stores online.
I don't know if anyone else has found it as frustrating as I did, but often I'd get to the checkout only to find the books removed from my basket as they were "not available in my territory".
The situation was not helped by the fact that the UK stores dropped support for Mobipocket so the titles I wanted were only available in ePub, so I decided to take the plunge, ditch my library of Mobipocket books and convert my Gen3 to epub.
That's where my reader stopped working- according to the nice lady at Bookeen support (who I had begun to fall in love with) my model is "too obsolete to support the latest ePubs" and I should consider buying a new Orizon or Opus.
So, obviously the budding romance with Elena is off and my confidence in the longevity of readers is seriously shaken. I may be mistaken but I think the Gen3 came out about 2007 so even if mine was one of the last of the first batch has technology come so far in this field to require the purchase of another £200 or so reading device, and will the same be true in another 3 or 4 years?
does anyone have similar experiences or any thoughts on this?
emhornbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:42 PM   #2
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
What do you mean by "stop working ?"
What version of the cybook do you have ?

ePub is more complex than mobi, and requires more process power.

Quote:
and will the same be true in another 3 or 4 years?
Who knows... publishers might be tempted to add java Script, video and all now...

Last edited by EowynCarter; 03-06-2011 at 02:47 PM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2011, 03:05 PM   #3
emhornbee

When I loaded the new ePub books on the Gen3 it rebooted just when I scrolled to one of them in the library. They're ok on the computer so no problem with the files being corrupted.

My Cybook is v. ARM920T 200MHz . Model No. CYBGEN310B
Old 03-06-2011, 03:14 PM   #4
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emhornbee View Post
When I loaded the new ePub books on the Gen3 it rebooted just when I scrolled to one of them in the library. They're ok on the computer so no problem with the files being corrupted.

My Cybook is v. ARM920T 200MHz . Model No. CYBGEN310B
Well, there is two things that could explain this :
- ePub is badly made, works on the PC becasue it's more leniant.
- ePub is too "big" for the gen3
Old 03-06-2011, 03:29 PM   #5
emhornbee

By "big" do you mean literally in terms of Kbytes, or in some other way like complexity for example? The one I'm trying to read at the moment is 0.44Mb (Yainted Blood by Arnaldur Indridason, published by Random House and purchased from WHSmith uk webstore.
Advert
Old 03-06-2011, 03:29 PM   #6
emhornbee

Sorry! typo, I meant Tainted Blood lol!
Old 03-06-2011, 04:01 PM   #7
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
By "big" do you mean literally in terms of Kbytes, or in some other way like complexity for example? The one I'm trying to read at the moment is 0.44Mb (Yainted Blood by Arnaldur Indridason, published by Random House and purchased from WHSmith uk webstore.
Both actually.
But mainly Kb. If the XML file is larger than the ram left -> boom ! And the fist cybooks have very little ram.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:16 AM   #8
Flinx
Connoisseur
Flinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Cybook Muse Frontlight, Cybook Odyssey
I know these crashes from some handmade books. The reason was the size of some pictures inside. If you look into the epub file and check the dimensions maybe you can find it.
Short instructions for Windows: Rename a copy of the epub file to zip, open it with a compression program (for example 7zip) or decompress it, then search inside for jpg files, a typical path is OEBPS/images. Look at the picture size with a viewer, for example irfanview. The pictures should not have much more than about 1000 pixel in any direction. If you have too large pictures, then resize, replace it in the epub/zip, or better make this with Sigil.
Flinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:56 AM   #9
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
You have an old Gen3 unit, that have a slower processor, and smaller main memory. It can't handle really large epub file, and since editors tend to make badly formated CSS or html file (epub is made of HTML and CSS files) they can be really to big to handle for such a lowend device, newer gen3 have a better CPU (even if for nowaday devices they are slow) and double size memory from the old one, they are able to handle more complexe files.

The device you have should be able to handle epub files, but the first to blame is the editors who makes bad epub files...
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:38 AM   #10
mikelvdb
Enthusiast
mikelvdb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mikelvdb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mikelvdb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: cybook gen3, cybook opus, sony prs-350, sony prs-t1
I have an old GEN 3 and I use it with Mobipocket (same for my Opus, I use ePub for my PRS350). I made all the conversions with calibre.
mikelvdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:47 AM   #11
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I have an old Gen3 too, and it works fine with most ePUBs. Some ePUBs crash the unit, though (it reboots after a while trying to open the file/page). In all cases, I believe the problem was some big image. Sometimes the cover causes the crash, so I can't open the book, but I can create a ".dat" file (with a newer Gen3, or maybe by hand), that causes the reader to open the book past the cover, so I can read the book normally.

In general, for the books I create or download from MobileRead, with 600x800 covers and no much larger illustrations, the Gen3 has no problems.

By the way. This is a bug in the firmware, the reader should never crash and reboot. It might refuse to open the file, or show a blank page, or whatever, but not crash on your face!
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:02 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
One recent example of this that I came across was "Wolf Hall" by Hilary Mantel (a very popular historical novel - winner of the 2009 Booker Prize). The ePub version of this just would not open on my friend's Gen3 at all - it rebooted the device when you tried to open it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:54 PM   #13
emhornbee

Thanks for really interesting replies. Unfortunately I'm not very knowledgeable regarding the technical aspects of how ebooks are produced and how to maximise the capabilites of my device. Anyhow, there seems to be little you can do without editing the books in some program which would probably require removing DRM.
BTW, the internal memory of my Gen3 is 495Mb with an sd expansion slot. Is this really too small when most novels are around 500Kb or less? Since I ditched my DRM'd library I'm only using 95 Mb anyway.

Last edited by emhornbee; 03-07-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:38 AM   #14
fani
fani began at the beginning.

Hi emhornbee,

I was very happy with my Cybook Gen3 and its ability to read epub books, until I ran into the same problems you are describing this past weekend. I tried reading 3 books on it and I got the same reboot cycle you are mentioning.

The solution for me was to go back to Mobi. I used Calibre to convert all my epub books to mobi and everything seems to work fine now. Sure it's not the best solution but buying a new ereader so soon is not an option for me and this gives me the ability to continue buying ebooks and reading them on my Cybook.

Regarding the memory, what you are referring to is the storage capacity of the device which is of course enough for any ebook. The memory that plays part in this problem though is the main memory (RAM), which is only 16MB in the first and second edition of Cybook Gen3.
fani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:21 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
BTW, the internal memory of my Gen3 is 495Mb with an sd expansion slot. Is this really too small when most novels are around 500Kb or less? Since I ditched my DRM'd library I'm only using 95 Mb anyway.
No, you're getting a little confused. We're talking about the about of memory (RAM) the device has - the amount of space available for running programs to store their information in. This has nothing to do with the amount of space available for storage, which is what you're describing.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote