Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-18-2011, 10:07 PM   #16
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
My concern is that manufacturers, rather than continuing to lower the price of their basic model, will discontinue that model; and instead offer more fancy models at the same price level.
This. It happens in every segment of consumer electronics. Full-sized laptops bottomed out in price ($300-400) and never got below that line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I see that level to be $85 in the next year, two max.
I'm thinking that it will be more like $99.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:33 AM   #17
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by booot View Post
Yes, that saddens me the most. Recently, nobody is able to follow the price policy of Amazon devices, their market share is unbeatable and it seem that nobody cares, especially Sony
They make premium readers.
It is far superior to any other eInk eBook readers that are available today.
I agree to pay the price as long as they maintain the same quality.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2011, 04:39 AM   #18
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
They make premium readers.
But not $90 worth.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:51 AM   #19
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
But not $90 worth.
It is for me.

I have had an opportunity to play with Kindle 3, which is in my opinion much better than K2 or K1. Let's say it was...unpleasant. It felt as if I were holding a big & ugly calculator from 1980s I had in a Soviet school. Very much un-enjoyable experience. That particular experience proved to me that I pay thr right price for something I truly enjoy.
When I read a book everything around me is a part of the reading experience. For example I hated paperback editions. To see the text properly I had to break the spine. No other way to have the page flat in a 600+ pages paperback. However, breaking book's spine is an atrocity because I was brought up with a sense that you look well after your books, they are no toys but a valuable possession. That's why I was buying hardback editions.
Sony Reader's superb hardware provides me with what I need. A pleasure when I hold it in my hands. I do not notice I hold a gadget. It is a very important feature for me for which I am prepared to pay premium price.

Last edited by astra; 01-19-2011 at 04:54 AM.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:24 AM   #20
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It is for me.

I have had an opportunity to play with Kindle 3, which is in my opinion much better than K2 or K1. Let's say it was...unpleasant. It felt as if I were holding a big & ugly calculator from 1980s I had in a Soviet school. Very much un-enjoyable experience. That particular experience proved to me that I pay thr right price for something I truly enjoy.
I considered 5 ereaders before deciding on the K3. I ruled out the the nook and Sony 350 because they weren't available in black. I ruled out the Sony 650 because it was too expensive. I ruled out the Kobo because its build quality didn't warrant its price tag. That left the K3 by default. So I got it.
Advert
Old 01-19-2011, 05:27 AM   #21
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
I considered 5 ereaders before deciding on the K3. I ruled out the the nook and Sony 350 because they weren't available in black. I ruled out the Sony 650 because it was too expensive. I ruled out the Kobo because its build quality didn't warrant its price tag. That left the K3 by default. So I got it.
I am glad there are many ebook reader out there. Different people have different needs. I only worry that Amazon's perfect business model (no sarcasm, my honest opinion) might push out others and someone like me will loose what is important to us.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:38 AM   #22
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
But not $90 worth.
No, considered that they are the only devices in the world that can be operated with fingers and stylus and have a non-glare screen they are worth a LOT more than mere $90. You must be kidding!

Quote:
It is for me.

When I read a book everything around me is a part of the reading experience. For example I hated paperback editions. To see the text properly I had to break the spine. No other way to have the page flat in a 600+ pages paperback. However, breaking book's spine is an atrocity because I was brought up with a sense that you look well after your books, they are no toys but a valuable possession. That's why I was buying hardback editions.
Sony Reader's superb hardware provides me with what I need. A pleasure when I hold it in my hands. I do not notice I hold a gadget. It is a very important feature for me for which I am prepared to pay premium price.
Same here! Same here! I have a collection of the most wonderful hardbacks money can buy (almost all are smythe-sewn, some are even gilded) and it is a Sony that gives me a similar satisfactory reading experience.

Quote:

It is not too expensive! It was just to expensive for you or you were to frugal to pay for it, but the device itself is properly priced for its abilities and compared to the abilities of the other devices you mentioned and their pricetags!!
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:39 AM   #23
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
I am glad there are many ebook reader out there. Different people have different needs. I only worry that Amazon's perfect business model (no sarcasm, my honest opinion) might push out others and someone like me will loose what is important to us.
That's something I don't have to worry about. The only books I read on the K3 are public domain and the occasional free book. I don't buy books. Since my reading requirements could've been met by any of the readers in question, format and store content were irrelevant.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:41 AM   #24
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
No, considered that they are the only devices in the world that can be operated with fingers and stylus and have a non-glare screen they are worth a LOT more than mere $90. You must be kidding!
No, you must be kidding!

(your move)
Old 01-19-2011, 05:45 AM   #25
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
It is not too expensive! It was just to expensive for you or you were to frugal to pay for it, but the device itself is properly priced for its abilities and compared to the abilities of the other devices you mentioned and their pricetags!!
I want a reader to read books. With that in mind, the 650 doesn't do anything the K3 can't do. Why would I want to waste an additional $90 for no gain?
Old 01-19-2011, 05:53 AM   #26
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I want a reader to read books. With that in mind, the 650 doesn't do anything the K3 can't do. Why would I want to waste an additional $90 for no gain?
And thats the point. There are two different method to compare prices. The first one is: How much is it worth to me? The second: How much is it worth comparing what it can do, what its competitors are able to do and how much does it cost compared to its competitors.

When you say you just wanted to read and this was worth in your eyes, lets say $150, you are evaluating it just by its lowest function: Enabling you to read ebooks.

When you say it is worth no more than 100$ you are not seeing it in the light of how it is enabling you to read, i.e. like you are reading a paperbook and turning the pages with a fingerswipe of the asset that only a Sony has: its glarefree touchscreen, finger and stylus operated. When considering this you will have to admit that all the other touchscreen devices cost around $200 - $220 but either glare or are only working with a stylus and so on. So, when you put these things into your consideration it is worth A LOT MORE than $90.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:07 AM   #27
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
And thats the point. There are two different method to compare prices. The first one is: How much is it worth to me? The second: How much is it worth comparing what it can do, what its competitors are able to do and how much does it cost compared to its competitors.

When you say you just wanted to read and this was worth in your eyes, lets say $150, you are evaluating it just by its lowest function: Enabling you to read ebooks.

When you say it is worth no more than 100$ you are not seeing it in the light of how it is enabling you to read, i.e. like you are reading a paperbook and turning the pages with a fingerswipe of the asset that only a Sony has: its glarefree touchscreen, finger and stylus operated. When considering this you will have to admit that all the other touchscreen devices cost around $200 - $220 but either glare or are only working with a stylus and so on. So, when you put these things into your consideration it is worth A LOT MORE than $90.
I don't need touch screen, so I won't pay extra for it.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:11 AM   #28
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Actually, that's about what it was worth to me to know that neither Amazon nor anyone else was able to look over my shoulder while I read. I have enough trouble keeping my PC secure, damned if I going to start the fight on my reader too. Of the non-big-brother manufacturers the Sony 650 seemed like my best bet here in Australia. I won't ridicule other's decisions to buy a Kindle, I just have different priorities and the Sony fit better.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:14 AM   #29
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:
I don't need touch screen, so I won't pay extra for it.
See, now you got it! It is not worth to you! That is a big difference to saying: it is not worth it!

Thank you for seeing and honoring the point I was stressing at last.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:25 AM   #30
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
See, now you got it! It is not worth to you! That is a big difference to saying: it is not worth it!

Thank you for seeing and honoring the point I was stressing at last.
Not quite. If I wanted touch screen, it would still be too expensive. $230 is too much. The price would need to drop about $50.