Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-07-2010, 10:43 AM   #1
Y26
Y26 began at the beginning.

Device: calibre
Cruz Reader

Was wondering if Calibre eBook Management and the Calibre Reader can be loaded onto a CRUZ READER. I cannot imagine using anything that wouldn't allow / isn't able to have both. Calibre is the BEST.
Y26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:52 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I have no idea. You should ask the device manufacturers.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2010, 01:15 PM   #3
Y26

Sent them a message a while ago, still waiting for them to reply.
In the meantime - a question - their eReader runs on Android 2.0.
It has web access, if I were to go on-line to the Calibre website which of the three options would I download.
Thanks.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:20 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I would not see you using any of the Calibre items on the Cruz. For reading purposes something like Aldiko can be used. Calibre would run on your PC/Mac to manage your books and serve them up to the Cruz.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:26 PM   #5
Y26

If I shouldn't use Calibre on the Cruz reader is there a way to manage books on the reader.
Advert
Old 11-07-2010, 01:32 PM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Reader devices are not normally suitable for Managing books in the way that Calibre does. Most reading software will have an option to present all ebooks that have been loaded into it and allow present these in a friendly structured manner.

Another reason I said do not use Calibre on the Cruz s that it would require a port to Android, and I think that is a non-trivial task. I expect it could in theory be done but as far as I know no-one has yet gone down this route to any signifcant degree. Most Android devices are currently limited in processing power and RAM so are not appropriate to tasks like converting between formats.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:23 PM   #7
Y26

@itimpi, thank you. I appreciate you helping me understand.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:53 AM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I am considering building an android client for calibre. It would let you browse your library over the network using a calibre-like interface. It would be read-only (I think), to avoid all sorts of data corruption problems. If things go as I think, then this client would connect to a reader program on the android device to manage metadata (calibre collections, tags, etc).

You might ask "how is this better than the content server?" The advantage over the content server would be the dedicated interface and metadata management.

As I said, I am still thinking about this. It would be a lot of work, and I am not sure what level of use it would get. And in any event, I won't do anything until I get an Android device for development.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote