Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 08-14-2007, 11:53 AM   #1
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Did I Brick It? OMG!

I applied the Direct Page Control Hack and now my reader will not get past the boot screen. It is stuck on "Starting up" and has been for about 10 minutes. Is there any way to undo whatever I did?

I admit to not knowing exactly how the updater worked before using it. But, what I did was to rename the "main.xml" that I downloaded to "applicationstart.xml". I created the image, flashed it, then rebooted. That is where I'm left. I also tried a hard reset using the button on the back but it still won't get past the boot screen.

Please, is there anyway to recover my reader?
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 11:58 AM   #2
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Why did you rename it?

Anyway, try this. Should work.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Sony...g_Instructions

EDIT: Wait a second. I need to update the link in the wiki to the new Sony update. Will let you know when I changed it.

EDIT 2: Done! If you dare to try again read this article:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12573

Last edited by diabloNL; 08-14-2007 at 12:04 PM.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2007, 12:12 PM   #3
Nogg
Literate!
Nogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it is

Device: PRS-500
yeah, leave it as "main.xml" and put it in the scripts folder. There should already be a main.xml there that you'll want to overwrite with the new one.
Nogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:12 PM   #4
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Thanks but unfortunately, I can't get the updater to see the reader now. After resetting the reader and plugging it in, it took about 5 minutes for the usb icon to show up. But, the updater does not see it. It keeps saying "Connect a PRS-500 to update". I shut down the updater and loaded Connect, but that will not see the reader either.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:18 PM   #5
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
Thanks but unfortunately, I can't get the updater to see the reader now. After resetting the reader and plugging it in, it took about 5 minutes for the usb icon to show up. But, the updater does not see it. It keeps saying "Connect a PRS-500 to update". I shut down the updater and loaded Connect, but that will not see the reader either.
Did you plug it in and then reset it or did you plug it in when it was already booting? The applicationstart.xml has an USB initializing process in it. I hope that it is not the reason the USB doesn't work now.

Where did you place this renamed main.xml file on your SD card?
Advert
Old 08-14-2007, 12:21 PM   #6
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

You can also try this:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Sony...8Unbricking.29
Old 08-14-2007, 12:22 PM   #7
edbro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloNL View Post
Where did you place this renamed main.xml file on your SD card?
I renamed the main.xml to applicationstart.xml and replaced the original applicationstart.xml in opt\sony\ebook\application\resources.

Yes, I know, stupid. I already admitted that I didn't know what I was doing.

I have tried plugging it into USB during the boot screen as well as resetting with it already plugged in. I do eventually get the usb icon on the reader, but nothing on the computer will see the reader.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:28 PM   #8
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

I'm afraid the USB doesn't initializes because you replaced applicationstart.xml with main.xml. But maybe Igorsk can help in this. Or maybe kovidgoyal has any idea because he reversed engineered the USB protocol.

The code that seems to do this in applicationstart.xml is:

Code:
<code>
		<function id="initialized">
			USBDispatcher.doRegister(this.getWindow())
			this.getDevice().doProcessed(100);
			this.getDevice().enableBlueLED(true);
		</function>
		<function id="terminating">
			this.getDevice().resetOrientation();
			this.getDevice().doProcessing(100);
			USBDispatcher.doUnregister()
		</function>
	</code>
Did you try the "ten times" reset method that I posted? Maybe it will initialize the USB outside of the appplicationstart.xml. It is meant to recover from a corrupt firmware so who knows.

Last edited by diabloNL; 08-14-2007 at 12:32 PM.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:31 PM   #9
edbro
Banned

I did the 10 reset trick and got to the "Updating firmware now..." screen. I called up the updater program but it is still the same; the updater keeps asking me to plug in a reader.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:36 PM   #10
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

Quote:
I did the 10 reset trick and got to the "Updating firmware now..." screen. I called up the updater program but it is still the same; the updater keeps asking me to plug in a reader.
What happens if you insert the SD card when it's in that screen?
Old 08-14-2007, 12:38 PM   #11
edbro
Banned

Quote:
What happens if you insert the SD card when it's in that screen?
Nothing.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:44 PM   #12
edbro
Banned

Yay! I tried a new USB cable and was able to get a connection. I updated the firmware and now it works. That original cable must be going bad but, after I updated, I reused the original (old) cable and that worked too now.

Thanks to all of you for your help. I was panicking. Too bad it is morning here, I could really use a drink.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:45 PM   #13
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

Quote:
Yay! I tried a new USB cable and was able to get a connection. I updated the firmware and now it works. That original cable must be going bad but, after I updated, I reused the original (old) cable and that worked too now.

Thanks to all of you for your help. I was panicking. Too bad it is morning here, I could really use a drink.
That's good news! Cheers!

EDIT: Did you keep the USB cable connected when you performed the ten times reset method? Could be the reason why it worked after you removed it and plugged it back in.

Last edited by diabloNL; 08-14-2007 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:51 PM   #14
edbro
Banned

Quote:
EDIT 2: Done! If you dare to try again read this article:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12573
This is where I got the idea to replace the appplicationstart.xml.
Quote:
* Download diabloNL's replacement file: applicationStart.xml from here, and use it to replace (overwrite) Igorsk's sample \files\opt\sony\ebook\application\resources\applic ationStart.xml
Now others are questioning why I did that instead of replacing the main.xml in the scripts folder.

I'd still like to apply the hack but I'm more confused than ever. Do I replace the applicationstart.xml or do I replace the main.xml? I'm guessing the latter but I really don't need a repeat of my earlier scare.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:52 PM   #15
edbro
Banned

Quote:
EDIT: Did you keep the USB cable connected when you performed the ten times reset method? Could be the reason why it worked after you removed it and plugged it back in.
Yes, I did so that's probably the case. I threw out the older cable anyway. Now I'm down to only having about 15 of them lying around.