cszhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:35 PM   #47
bill_syue
bill_syue began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by cszhy View Post
thanks a lot, is it a lrf file?
No, it is still pdf format. soPdf tool is for pdf to pdf conversion.
bill_syue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:59 AM   #48
cszhy
cszhy began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
thanks, it seems can convert txt pdf into image ones ,
It would be great if there is some gui interface

Last edited by cszhy; 01-20-2009 at 03:16 AM.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:33 AM   #49
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cszhy View Post
thanks, it seems can convert txt pdf into image ones ,
It would be great if there is some gui interface
No this tool keeps the text to text. It just reduces the white spaces on the borders.

If you want a tool that turns text to images, that has a GUI.

PaperCrop
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31677

OR look for PDFRead
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21906

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:55 PM   #50
yargoflick
Enthusiast
yargoflick is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emit View Post
Attached is my port of soPdf for Linux.

I included a binary plus my sources for soPdf.c and processPdf.c and a brief readme.

the only dynamic dependencies are to common libs like libjpeg, zlib, freetype, etc so it should work out of the box on any modern distro (I tested on ubuntu 8.04..) I also compiled in the optional jbig2dec dependency.

it works for me, i've used it on multiple pdfs ~15-20MB each.
however, YMMV

thanks theguru
Thanks, I'll definately check this out.
yargoflick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:35 PM   #51
cszhy
cszhy began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
thanks, this tools is perfect for me now!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
No this tool keeps the text to text. It just reduces the white spaces on the borders.

If you want a tool that turns text to images, that has a GUI.

PaperCrop
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31677

OR look for PDFRead
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21906

=X=
Old 02-06-2009, 01:21 PM   #52
drogo
Connoisseur
drogo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.drogo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.drogo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.drogo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-500
Is there a way to make the text/image bolder or darker?

I just did a comparison between the verboten PDFLRF and soPDF. soPDF is so light as to just about be illegible. On my RS-500 at least. PDFLRF is normal darkness.

Any idea or tips?

Thanks!
drogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:47 PM   #53
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drogo View Post
Is there a way to make the text/image bolder or darker?

I just did a comparison between the verboten PDFLRF and soPDF. soPDF is so light as to just about be illegible. On my RS-500 at least. PDFLRF is normal darkness.

Any idea or tips?

Thanks!
soPDF really just strips the margins off of a PDF and doe not modify the font. You can change the PDF to landscape, this will make the font size bigger.

Last you might want to try PDFRead or PaperCrop if you want to increase the font size but these tools turn your PDF into an image.

Also there is a an article "Poor boys way of editing a PDF file". Which does change the font style to a bold, tried this and it did work, but boy was it effort.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:17 PM   #54
drogo
Connoisseur
drogo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.drogo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.drogo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.drogo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-500
Hmm, so then was the end product different in pdflrf because it was changed to an image? Or because it converts it to LRF?
drogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:58 PM   #55
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by drogo View Post
Hmm, so then was the end product different in pdflrf because it was changed to an image? Or because it converts it to LRF?
For Both reasons

The final product was much bigger. PDFLRF a file that is about 1/2 MB turned to about 20MB (results may vary) because each page was an image. You also lose the ability to resize the fonts because they are no longer fonts but images.

Also PDFRLF produces an LRF as the final product so only the SONY products could view the file.

With SoPDF the file remains a PDF, all that is modified is the margins and the layout (portrait vs landscape) so any software that reads PDF can view the file.

=X=
Old 02-11-2009, 02:39 AM   #56
Staz
Staz began at the beginning.

Device: none
About how long does it take to turn a page that contains diagrams etc. on the PRS-505 using this method?
Staz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:31 PM   #57
=X=
Wizard

Text base LRF is the fastest. However a PDF is always faster than an images based LRF. When you run PDFLRF or PDFRead they will usually run slower. The advantage is that the completely remove white space and can bolden the font text to make it more readable. with soPDF you can remove the margins, but you also have a text base PDF so it is smaller turns quicker and if you are in a bind in reading the fonts you can increase the font size(reflow the PDF) and read it that way. Images are usally lost when you do so.

Personally I prefer soPDF, ever since SONY fixed their PDF issues PDF is not so bad on the reader. Esp if it has been created for the reader like FeedBook does or even oneself.

=X=
Old 02-11-2009, 03:42 PM   #58
Staz
Staz began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Text base LRF is the fastest. However a PDF is always faster than an images based LRF. When you run PDFLRF or PDFRead they will usually run slower. The advantage is that the completely remove white space and can bolden the font text to make it more readable. with soPDF you can remove the margins, but you also have a text base PDF so it is smaller turns quicker and if you are in a bind in reading the fonts you can increase the font size(reflow the PDF) and read it that way. Images are usally lost when you do so.

Personally I prefer soPDF, ever since SONY fixed their PDF issues PDF is not so bad on the reader. Esp if it has been created for the reader like FeedBook does or even oneself.

=X=
soPDF sounds very nice! Is there any chance of you taking a photo of a reasonably complicated technical document (reformatted using soPDF) displaying on your Sony PRS-505? Ideally one with diagrams and tables.

Perhaps you could compare these to documents converted by pdfRead and pdflrf?

I have heard so much about these wonderful tools but have seen very few (if any) conversion results!

Thanks!
Staz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:46 PM   #59
mita
mita is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS-505
User Friendly Way of using SoPDF - my Excel approach

I have made a very crude tool which allows batch processing using the SoPDF application. It runs as an excel spreadsheet using simple macros (see attached). Please feel free to use / improve as required.

Regards,

Andy
Attached Files
File Type: rar 2009.rar (745.5 KB, 901 views)
mita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:05 AM   #60
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
I really like soPdf -- it works very well, and fast too. Thanks.

The only issue I've been having is with the metadata command lines when the title or author you want has spaces in it. Sometimes it just seems not to do anything: it just retains whatever value was in the original pdf.

And other times it doesn't give you what you wanted.

For example:
sopdf -i in.pdf -o out.pdf -a Shakespeare, William -t The Tempest
seems to yield a title of just The and an author of just Shakespeare,. Putting the whole in quotation marks, i.e.:

sopdf -i in.pdf -o out.pdf -a "Shakespeare, William" -t "The Tempest"
gives the right result for the title, but makes the author "Shakespeare, William" with quotation marks.

I feel like I must be missing something obvious here, but is there a way to do this right? Of course, I can fix the metadata fields on Acrobat or Calibre or other programs, but I'd rather just do it at the same time.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote