Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-03-2013, 04:25 AM   #1
niko_gramophon
niko_gramophon began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4NT, 4.1.1
Question Root password for Kindle non touch (black 2012), firmware 4.1.1 ?

Hello, community,

I have Kindle NT4 (black, 2012). Maybe I'm searching wrong this forum, or I'm the only one, doing the mistake to update my kindle firmware to 4.1.1. Since then the suggested root passwords "mario" and "fiona" doesn't work. I'm able to connect thru SSH thru usb0 network, but none of the passwords seems to work. Tried bruteforcing the root account with hydra like this:

hydra -t 1 -W 50 -v -l root -P wordlist.txt 192.168.15.244 ssh

but the anti-bruteforce security bans me very quickly. Any ideas how to gain again ROOT on MY OWN device?

Thanks in advance,
Niko
niko_gramophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:34 AM   #2
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
I've not tried it but there's info on the wiki about finding passwords. It specifically mentions the 2011 K4 but give it a try anyway...

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle4NTHacking#SSH.3F step 7

Andrew
andyh2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:37 AM   #3
niko_gramophon

The password from this url doesn't work for me :/
Old 02-03-2013, 04:46 AM   #4
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
The readme_first.txt file in the usbnetwork package tells you to use something called kindle_tool on the device itself. Or I get the impression you can telnet in with no password and change the password to something you know. Again, I've not done any of this so I may be wrong.

Andrew
andyh2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:36 AM   #5
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Install the latest version of NiLuJe's usbnetwork. It will let you ssh as root with any password.

PS: Moved thread to dev forum.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:46 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh2000 View Post
The readme_first.txt file in the usbnetwork package tells you to use something called kindle_tool on the device itself. Or I get the impression you can telnet in with no password and change the password to something you know. Again, I've not done any of this so I may be wrong.

Andrew
You are not wrong:

This order should work on all firmware versions.
Early firmwares, v-2 and v-3 may also work with the cable attached
  • un-plug cable (if still plugged in)
  • toggle USBnetwork ON in launcher
  • plug the cable
  • kill any automation (or configure yours to do: )
  • sudo ip link set up dev usb0 (It may already be up)
  • sudo ip address add 192.168.15.201 peer 192.168.15.244 dev usb0
  • use the networking until your done (telnet 192.168.15.244)
  • un-plug cable
  • toggle USBnetwork OFF in launcher

Ref: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=204450
That reference leaves you talking to the Kindle with telnet.

If not using the new launcher, then toggle USBnetwork in whatever manner your machine supports.

Last edited by knc1; 02-03-2013 at 08:58 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:21 PM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Too lazy to check if they patched the shadow file like on 5.3, but, in case they did, what ixtab said, except with a recent USBNetwork package, it will let you in with anything as the password [or, nothing, even, just enter] (provided you're using the default config: no SSH over wifi). Barring that, what knc1 said, the telnet daemon will *always* get you a root shell straight away.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:36 PM   #8
niko_gramophon

Hello, community,

thanks for the replies. Seems like I didn't managed to install the USB Network successfully.

What I'm doing:

I'm mounting the Kindle as Storage device. I create file ENABLE_DIAGS in the root of it. Then I go to Settings -> reboot. After that the kindle start in USB network mode, but seems its not from the USBNetwork package, because I can't log with no password, not even with mario, or with fiona***. When I nmap the device.. there is no 20 (telnet) port opened.

Not sure what I've done wrong. How can I check if USBnetwork package is installed OK? And how can I assure my Kindle is jailbroken?

Maybe the biggest mistake was to update to the latest firmware version from amazon :/

Thanks in advance for the answers.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:39 PM   #9
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by niko_gramophon View Post
Maybe the biggest mistake was to update to the latest firmware version from amazon :/

Thanks in advance for the answers.
ssh (and maybe telnet) was removed from the 4.1.1 diags image by Amazon.

telnet is **NOT** port 20. Sorry.

At the top of the forum you will find a "filter by prefix" thing -
Set the filter to "HowTo" , click show thread, begin reading.

Last edited by knc1; 02-06-2013 at 03:07 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bruteforce, kindle, password, root