Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-07-2012, 08:32 PM   #91
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
KT can sort books by last read. In this mode all books you are reading then have read are first listed then any new books are listed. Finally all other books in KT library are listed.This makes it easy to find books that were pushed off carousel by newly added books.
I think the point is that books currently being read should NOT be pushed off the Home page.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:57 PM   #92
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
I think the point is that books currently being read should NOT be pushed off the Home page.
Yes that was exactly my point. Just tested this, added 5 new books. The three that I was currently reading disappeared off the home screen. Very annoying.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2012, 11:50 PM   #93
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
Are the new Kobos still fragile in regards to the screen, in other words do they still have a breakable glass substrate? I ask this because of the mention of:
Quote:
Kobo Glo’s 6” high-res XGA E Ink Pearl touchscreen is ultra-thin and durable so nothing gets between you and your eBook, not even the brightest sunlight (or a little scratch). It’s just like reading print on paper, only better.
I've also noted that the Kobo press release pointedly describes the Glo screen as "durable". I have to wonder if these statements are a response to the Nook GlowLight and the infamous "holes" of light that can appear from even a slight tap, or in some cases spontaneously.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:03 AM   #94
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Working with local stores? It looks like that. You have to buy your Kindle at Amazon, you buy your Kobo at different shops according to the country.
Staples (office supply store) in Canada sells Kindles. It's where I bought mine.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:33 AM   #95
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
Staples (office supply store) in Canada sells Kindles. It's where I bought mine.
So does "The Source by Circuit City" (what Radio Shacks devolved into up here ) and Wal-Mart.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2012, 07:37 AM   #96
obyrm
obyrm began at the beginning.

Device: KOA2; Formerly:KOA,KV,PW2,CybookHDFL, KoboGlo,Sony-T1-650-600,iLiad
I am planing to buy a new ereader after the latest disappointing Sony release. My first option is Kobo Glo, but I could gather from the forums that the Kobo readers are not capable of pinch to zoom and reflow in pdf documents. Is it the case with Kobo Glo too?
obyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:40 AM   #97
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
So does "The Source by Circuit City" (what Radio Shacks devolved into up here ) and Wal-Mart.
Ahh cool. I only noticed the Staples because I browse there occasionally when I have to buy stuff from there. (My husband works across the street from a Staples, so I sometimes look around when we meet for lunch).
Old 09-08-2012, 08:51 AM   #98
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Actually, its no longer "The Source by Circuit City"; now it's "The Source (Bell)".
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:00 AM   #99
berklon
berklon is kind to children and small, furry animalsberklon is kind to children and small, furry animalsberklon is kind to children and small, furry animalsberklon is kind to children and small, furry animalsberklon is kind to children and small, furry animalsberklon is kind to children and small, furry animalsberklon is kind to children and small, furry animalsberklon is kind to children and small, furry animalsberklon is kind to children and small, furry animalsberklon is kind to children and small, furry animalsberklon is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
That's nice, but will they carry the Kindle Paperwhite or do we have to wait until it's available in Canada through Amazon.ca for retailers like Staples to carry it?
berklon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:22 PM   #100
spindlegirl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by berklon View Post
That's nice, but will they carry the Kindle Paperwhite or do we have to wait until it's available in Canada through Amazon.ca for retailers like Staples to carry it?
I have no idea. When the time comes I'd just buy it from wherever it's available.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:46 PM   #101
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by obyrm View Post
I am planing to buy a new ereader after the latest disappointing Sony release. My first option is Kobo Glo, but I could gather from the forums that the Kobo readers are not capable of pinch to zoom and reflow in pdf documents. Is it the case with Kobo Glo too?
No. The Glo (and Mini) isn't capable of tabletish things like pinch to zoom. And PDF reading is indeed a horrible experience on 6" eInk devices.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:56 PM   #102
feenix1363
Lost and clueless
feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Glo, Kindle for Andriod, Kobo for Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
It's most likely not Amazon calling the shots. You'd have to take it up with the various authors and publishers. Different countries have different laws, and sometimes regional publishers will decide their own release schedule based on the local market. It's like how a game can be released for the Nintendo 3DS in Japan but it won't be released in the US until a moth later. That's because Nintendo of America decides the release date for US products. Delays can also be caused by localization.
Although book release dates are a personal bug-bear of mine, I was actually on about the hardware releases on this occaision.

Kindle fire is due for EU release in October, this year! The PaperWhite doesn't yet have an EU release date!

Thanks Amazon, but no thanks.
feenix1363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:37 PM   #103
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
The idea of the Mini, with shirtpocket size, really appeals to me. Elsewhere, I read that it is a 5" 600x800 display, so the e-ink pixel density must be higher than the 6" 600x800 e-ink readers previously available.

And, BTW, it uses the e-ink Pearl display -http://www.eink.com/customer_showcase_kobo_mini.html

The Kobo web site states "Vizplex V110 display"

From another site: "Vizplex is the name of the e-ink screen, Pearl is simply the designation of the latest version of Vizplex..."

I confirmed this by looking at the Power-On screen on my Sony 950, which has the Pearl display - it says Vizplex while booting up.

Last edited by EldRick; 09-09-2012 at 04:14 PM.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:47 PM   #104
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Trouble is I have lots of books that I've started to read and, for whatever reason, have stopped reading them. Maybe I'll get back to them and maybe I won't. Or maybe I just wanted to look something up in the book and didn't close the book or advance to the last page.

Not that I'm necessarily disagreeing with you. I guess I'm saying the UI is a bit awkward and it might be nice to have a few more sort orders such as books in last read by date descending and books added to library by date descending.

Note that I'm a computer programmer/software developer and I like giving users more options. Sometimes maybe too many options.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:59 PM   #105
winsomnia
Groupie
winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: kobo Touch, kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyToews View Post
Note that I'm a computer programmer/software developer and I like giving users more options. Sometimes maybe too many options.
Personally, I have yet to lay hands on a consumer device that has too many options (perhaps even enough options).

More options = Always welcome.
winsomnia is offline   Reply With Quote