Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 02-21-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
plumboz
Novelist
plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Kobo Being a Pain

For quite a while I had my book distributed both through Amazon and Smashwords. Through Smashwords it went to B&N, Sony, Apple, Diesel (does anyone buy books from Diesel?) and Kobo. One problem I ran into was adjusting the price from what was originally intended to be strictly an introductory price of $0.99 to $2.99 because I could never get all of the Smashwords affiliates to change and therefore Amazon, which of course is where most sales come from, would not change their price.

So, when the Select program arrived I recognized what I thought was a way to get the price problem taken care of: unpublish, at least for 90 days, with Smashwords, and just go with Amazon for that time. Then, when and if I went back to Smashwords, I could set the price to what it was supposed to have been ages ago.

Well, after I unpublished with SW, the listings at B&N, Sony, Apple and Diesel went away, as they should, but Kobo continues to offer the book and at $0.99. So far I have gotten nothing but "We'll have to refer this to Tier 2" responses to my demands they take the book off their site.

I know it's weird and rather unusual to want to eliminate a distribution point, but does anyone have experience with this sort of situation?

Thanks,
Alan
plumboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:09 AM   #2
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
If all else fails you could send them a DMCA takedown notice. They are not authorised to sell your book, so they would need to remove it in a timely manner.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:33 PM   #3
plumboz
Novelist
plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Thanks, mr ploppy, I appreciate the info. I had no idea what a DMCA was, but then, that's what Google is for, right?

Looks like they have finally taken care of pulling the book. Now I just have to get Amazon to take notice and adjust the price. My intention was to have the book at $0.99 for no more than six months and it is coming up on three years. Waiting a day or two shouldn't be a big deal!

Alan
plumboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:27 PM   #4
Nirmalanow
Nirmalanow began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I have had all kinds of problems with Kobo with my books as published through Smashwords. For over a year, they have not been updating the changes to my books as every other channel on smashwords does in a timely fashion. Now, Kobo has uploaded the newest versions of my books, but is still selling the old versions also. So all of my books are listed twice in their catalog.

As others have mentioned on here, it is the most frustrating aspect of using Smashwords, is how slow they can be to address problems when they arise.
Nirmalanow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:53 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
If all else fails you could send them a DMCA takedown notice. They are not authorised to sell your book, so they would need to remove it in a timely manner.
Kobo are Canadian; the DMCA (a US law) doesn't apply to them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 02:10 PM   #6
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Kobo are Canadian; the DMCA (a US law) doesn't apply to them.

Actually... Japanese now. They just bought by a Japanese company... so dunno if Canadian law even applies any more then American law does.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:34 AM   #7
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
I see it's $2.99 now, so I guess it got worked out!
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:48 AM   #8
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
I buy from Diesel :-)
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:06 AM   #9
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
I buy from Diesel :-)

You might be the backbone of their business then!
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:13 PM   #10
Lazybones
Groupie
Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm having similar problems with Kobo via Smashwords. It's consistently the latest in updating sales data. It's several months behind at the moment. It's not a huge deal since my sales there are a tiny fraction of what I get from B&N, but it's annoying.
Lazybones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:03 AM   #11
Nirmalanow
Nirmalanow began at the beginning.

Update: Kobo has removed the dulicate versions of my books, so for now, they are all up to date.
Nirmalanow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:43 PM   #12
M T McGuire
Addict
M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
If it's any consolation my book is 99p on there, too - I think. It's also the only site where I can't give people a link to an author page.

Cheers

MTM
M T McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote